Locust Tree.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhuffnmu

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was just called out by a elderly home owner conscerned about her big locust tree in the front yard. For some reason the trees leaves are already all brown. A few of the other locust trees in the neighboring yards are starting to get big brown areas in them as well. She also told me that it has stopped getting its long fruit pods for about the last 4-5 years now. The tree is heavily sprouting around the trunk but not on the upper portions of the tree. And I did notice one small mushroom starting to come out of the bottom of the trunk. It looked like it just started to come through. She wants to know if the tree is sick or anything. I haven't heard or seen any locust trees like this before. Does anyone know of a disease or anything or what it could be. She wants to know if it can be cured or if it should be removed. I am almost thinking removal with the small mushroom coming through and the heavy sprouting on the lower section. Any opinions or knowledge is very much appreaciated.

Thanks in advance.

What kind of locust? Honey or black? What does the mushroom look like? Got any pics? Here there are areas that every year the black locust turn brown early due to a black and orange striped bettles and the honey locust get caterpillars that spin webs and cause the pods to decline. I keep an eye on some honey locust planted by a guy that served on the same ship as my grandfather in WWI. His daughter now owns the place and the honey locusts decline every time (4-5 years) she salts the brick sidewalk to keep the weeds down between the cracks. The tree comes back and then she salts again. Massive tree, last year it was struck by lightning and appears to be on the mend. Sounds like there is more going on in your tree. Take your binoculars and look up in the tree and see what's going on up there. Get us a pic of the tree and the mushroom. If you are going to do a removal make sure you have extra chain/file handy they are very hard on chains.

Hey geofore,

the mushroom on is just starting to come out of the bottom of the trunk just above ground level it is very white and still small. Like I said the trunk and very bottom limbs sprouted with suckers very badly while the upper two thrids or more of the tree is pretty clean of suckers.

description sounds terminal but good golly man can't you find a camera?

If the trunk is heavy with excess sprouts that is a good sign of internal defects, mostly decay, this is not a written in stone type rule for all tree species. Do a little more detective work to be sure. Definately get a camera, pics are a big help when it comes to tree problems.

Larry

Latest posts

Back