Locust was invented for firewood...and posts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpsman007

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I will say that locust is the perfect firewood
It burns long and hot and leaves almost no ash
It is my favorite

Maybe so, but it's rather hard to split. I split by hand mostly, although sometimes when I'm in a hurry I borrow my neighbor's maul. :)

Must depend on the species. Black Locust splits easy. You can even split it right through a knot with a wedge. I have run into a few B. Locust that split harder than the normal though.

Harry K

I just found a twelve foot log of locust about 28" in diameter in a church parking lot.

Sweet! :cheers:

I've got a long stack (about 5x25') of junk wood that I got from a tree service 5 years ago. Didn't know as much about firewood, then, and I was desperate. (Hadn't discovered how easy it is to get good wood!) Got it home and realized it was pretty much junk. 5 years later, uncovered, sitting on the ground years later, it's really rotten junk. I'm slowly taking a pickup load at a time down to the dump. Last Saturday, I picked a wheelbarrow load of locust pieces out of the load. They'd been under rotting wood for 5 years.

They were fine. Solid. I've got them out where they can dry out, and they'll be added to my woodpile. :clap:

Must depend on the species. Black Locust splits easy. You can even split it right through a knot with a wedge. I have run into a few B. Locust that split harder than the normal though.

Harry K

Was working on the woodpile today splitting. Split this from the other end and didn't see the crotch in it until I had it open. Wedge/8 lb sledge and about 8 strikes.

002-22.jpg

Those type rounds go on my pile to run through the hydr splitter. I don't fool with any round that looks like it will be tough splitting. I have about a dozen down there now which is the leavings of around 2 cords split.

Harry K

Was working on the woodpile today splitting. Split this from the other end and didn't see the crotch in it until I had it open. Wedge/8 lb sledge and about 8 strikes.

002-22.jpg

Those type rounds go on my pile to run through the hydr splitter. I don't fool with any round that looks like it will be tough splitting. I have about a dozen down there now which is the leavings of around 2 cords split.

Harry K

whats that at the base of your sledge hammer head there on the handle.. looks like a bumper guard of some sort to keep from shattering handles like I have done so many times in past.. I cant stand the fiberglass ones...like a good hickory handle on all my splitting tools..

One old guy I took some black locust firewood to was VERY appreciative and said "it burns like coal".

Another old farmer once told me black locust posts "will last 2 years longer than stone".

I put 800' of black locust split-rail fence across our road frontage. I hand-split the 10' rails with wedges, mauls and sledges. It was actully pretty easy as long as you started at the "bottom" and followed what the grain wanted to do- even through knots. The hard part was drilling and cutting the :censored: holes into the posts.

Man, that black locust is *heavy* though. Blew me away how heavy it was.

I found that when splitting with a hydraulic splitter it is very stringy, much like birch. When splitting with a maul it doesn't seem to have that problem.

whats that at the base of your sledge hammer head there on the handle.. looks like a bumper guard of some sort to keep from shattering handles like I have done so many times in past.. I cant stand the fiberglass ones...like a good hickory handle on all my splitting tools..

I think they are called "handle protectors" Get them the same place you buy replacement handles. Yes they work.

I, too, prefer wood handles. They just have a "nice feel" and a bit of 'spring'. I replace one handle about every 2-3 years (sledgehammer and maul)

Harry K

Firewood from the larger diameter and fence posts from the smaller diameter, and from the really nice logs, outdoor lumber.

Leave Black Locust after cutting for a year or two and it will about split its self. Thats the only thing bad about it for fence post, but I like it for corner post and gates.

I've got a stand of locust up here but don't know the sub species. unfortunately they're not the type to weather well.

Love it when I get to harvest one for fire wood -- they must have some btu's per lb thats out of sight.

I've started taping a piece of pvc pipe there. Lot fewer broke handles in the wood pile!!

Black locust is fantastic for those nights when it gets down in single digits or negative temps. It'll burn hot and last a long time.

One old guy I took some black locust firewood to was VERY appreciative and said "it burns like coal".

Another old farmer once told me black locust posts "will last 2 years longer than stone".

I put 800' of black locust split-rail fence across our road frontage. I hand-split the 10' rails with wedges, mauls and sledges. It was actully pretty easy as long as you started at the "bottom" and followed what the grain wanted to do- even through knots. The hard part was drilling and cutting the :censored: holes into the posts.

Hedge or osage orange will last at least twice as long as locust as a post. It is also the highest BTU wood you can burn!

I cut some locust today?It was yellow ,but not as bright as hedge.Is that honey locust bark fell off real easy its been sitting since last fall.

Yes, BL is good stuff. I'm working on some Locust (mostly black but some honey) right now for my 2016+ firewood. I want something rot resistant so I'm being pretty picky (Locust and Osage orange only). I found a virtually endless supply of locust 4 miles from my house. Haven't got to splitting any yet though so not sure how this stuff will split.

Back