Lodge pole pines dead needles near base of branches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMike

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
image.jpeg I have a ton of young lodge pole pines all over my property. Almost 10 acres of them. A whole lot of them have brown/orange/yellow needles towards the base of the branches. Is this a sign of dying trees? Is it normal? Anything I can do to save them (if they're in fact dying)
Thanks!

Get up close and personal with the bottom three feet of the trunk and look for bore holes. Also check the ground around the trunk for sawdust looking grindings. Check the entire tree for sap leakage or staining.

What 2 dogs is saying is to look for the dreaded bark beetle. There is much that can be done to improve the chance for survival. I looks like maybe your trees are thick and probably a good idea to thin them. Without being there it would be inaccurate to say yeah just go thin your trees out. Here in California we have battled them for about 15 years. Right now they seem to have adapted to the fir trees too. Chemicals will really help. Get a hold of at least a 5 roller pump and motor mix your chemicals with water and spray away. With a little HP you should be able to direct water 75 feet or more so that the upper part of the trees are protected also. If you have any way to add a little irrigation to your crop that will help too. Good Luck, Thanks

If the browning occurred recently, it may be seasonal die-back. Here in the Ponderosa pine forest, the oldest needles, closest to the base of stem, turn brown and die this time of year, corresponding to deciduous leaves giving up the ghost. Pretty much every year someone hereabout will ask what's wrong with their trees, due to the browning of old needles.

From your pictures it looks like your trees are not as healthy as they could be. My first idea was that thinning was in order. Your trees need more spacing so that a fee trees will be strong. From your pictures it looks like they could use more sun. Bark that has mostly shade will be softer or an easy access for bugs. I have seen many people using a vast array of chemicals with great results however this will not permanently protect the trees from insects. Thanks

Latest posts

Back