Log blasting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackdoggy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Okay I have heard of this for years now I am curious does anyone still blast large logs and if so how much powder are you using hole depth packing material ect.?

I can't provide any answers to your question but a guy I used to work with blew up a moose:jawdrop: when blasting a large snag in NW Montana. I couldn't do the story justice....you would have to hear it from the horses mouth!

Okay I have heard of this for years now I am curious does anyone still blast large logs and if so how much powder are you using hole depth packing material ect.?

It all depends on what type of explosive material you are using and the size of the tree
packing material is called stemming and here in BC must be pea gravle
its a good way / fun way to remove dangerous snags

hope that gives you an idea

Last edited:
Log Blasting

My wifes Grandfather used to pack a special reusable blasting tube with about 2/3 cup of gunpower and touch it off with a long piece of cannon wick. The family used to joke around when he was in his early 90s and still climbing on the barn roof to look for firewood! The old man kept his house so warm in the winter that the daffidils would be blooming within 2 ft of his house in January when there was 4 ft of snow on the ground.

I'd love to find out which of my relatives has his 'splitter' . I'll post a pick if I can find it.

I have read about those, There was one old timer in the area who had written a book about tobacco farming way back when and he said they used to use one of the powder wedges like your talking about to split six footers for the barns. I just got to be careful blasting wood around here because some moron might call the cops to find out what all of the non gunshots are :laugh:

Latest posts

Back