Log Brand

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckethead

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Last Saturday we were offered a nice big Oak tree that had been dropped at a group home in the town where we work. Apparently the size of the butt (30") scared most folks. Big butts don't scare us and we estimated that it was about 2 trailer loads so we gladly took it with a promise to pick it up today. We squared everthing away with the property manager who was more than happy that we were willing to cart off the tree.

Well, we arrived at 0800 with trailer, trucks, and 3 saws, in the pouring rain, only to find....nothing. The entire thing was gone...not even saw dust! Someone managed to haul off 8 8'-10' Oak logs without bucking them into rounds. A call to the property manager shed no clues as to where the tree went. We even checked the neighborhood to see if we could find the "wandering Oak".......nothing, damn the bad luck!

We've lost out on a couple deals like this before but this one REALLY makes me mad and I'm not sure why. It also got me thinking it would be nice to have a way to mark "our logs." I'm thinking a 2lb. hammer with a "brand" embossed on the face. We could smack the end of the log (or rounds) and leave our mark. I guess we could also use spray paint and a stencil and accomplish the same thing.

What, if anything, do you guys do to mark logs? Does anyone make a "log brand?"

made my own with a peice of 1/4 inch plate and 1/4 inch round stock heated and bent welded to plate. welded a handle on it heat up with torches and presto

in the process of buying a digital camera, i'll post some pics for ya at a l8ter date. u can make a couple for under 50.00 get a good fire goin stick em in the coals to heat up cherry red and u can brand about 12 rounds before reheating, while the other is still in coals just keep trading back and forth.
cheers!!!

I made mine from a 3 lb. hammer. G on one end and T on the other for Grace Tree. I mig welded to build the letters up about 1/2" and cleaned them up with a die grinder. The last thing we do after the cleanup is done is stamp GT into the stump in 3 places Since most of our clients don't have the money to grind the stumps they should be there for awhile.
Phil

Back