Log Broker Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunriseturf

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm doing a job in Southeastern Pennsylvania and have accumulated a lot of red and white oak sawlogs. I'm looking for a straight up answer on getting the most money that I can out of the wood whether they are bought by local mills or sent overseas to through a broker. By the time I'm finished with the job I'll have around 12-15 tri-axles worth. Any help would be appreciated.

It would be about 2 hours from harrisburg. Are they a sawmill or broker? I would be happy to take pics and email to give a better idea. We are only 1/4 of the way through the work. I am there on the job all the time so I would be happy to show the logs whenever. Thanks

A yard in Middletown (Middletown Lumber maybe the name of it) is one place I had in mind. Another is near Biglerville, PA. It would be worth a call to Middletown to see what lengths and diameters they are looking for. Would be just off the turnpike from "Southeast PA." If you are willing to have it staged, it would take a lot of the guesswork out of the quality of the timber.

I assume the advantage of staging it would be to see if it yields more board feet once they cut into it? Or is it for market price fluctuations? I can keep it onsite for another 4-5 weeks or so if that makes a difference.

I assume the advantage of staging it would be to see if it yields more board feet once they cut into it? Or is it for market price fluctuations? I can keep it onsite for another 4-5 weeks or so if that makes a difference.

It would be an option you could offer the potential buyer. It would all be in one spot and the truck could just come in and pick up the logs.

There are two outfits I have been in contact with, and both have been very specific about lengths and diameters. I would give Middletown Lumber a call and see what they say. You might be able to do a search and find a yard a lot closer that might be interested.

I have them all staged in an area that is accessable and clean. I've been flush cutting anywhere necessary and leaving the logs as long as I can which can be downsized later. I keep them mostly at 12'6". I have a few at 25feet and a good amount a 8'6". I'm taking the best lengths of wood as long as I handle it with my loader. I can always downsize to whatever size necessary. I would let them make the call to maximize the value of each log.

Latest posts

Back