Log Cleaning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured...elect chainsaws pretty much suck.

heh..mount one on a chain trimmer bar...ya don't hafta getcher feet dirty..:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

When I worked as a logger for a paper mill (this was 27 years ago) before we got our total tree harvester that would fell, debark, delimb and stack the logs in a bed behind the thing, we were trimming branches off of the trees by hand with chainsaws. We had a company that wanted to sell us what looked like a skidder but it had a huge (very fast) spinning drum on the front to which dozens of 4 ft long pieces of ordinary chain were attached. This thing would simply drive down over the log(s) and the spinning chains would debark and delimb the stick. It basically just smashed/ripped/tore the limbs and bark off the tree. Keep in mind this only worked well for 8-15 inch dia pine, which is most of what we cut for the mill. The thing worked great... but the reason we didn't get it was the stories we heard about it. Once in a while a chain would break free from this spinning drum and depending on what part of the cycle the drum was when it broke, could be a very lethal chunk of metal flying through the woods at very high speed. We heard of a chain breaking off that proceeded to bury itself a foot down into the forest floor. Imagine what it would do to any human being in it's path.

So... I'll stick with my Log Wizard. It uses a lot less fuel than a skidder.

I have a friend who uses one of those Roto Clip things to trim cow hoofs. He makes his living doing that. It works pretty fast on a cow hoof, not sure that it would be very efficient for debaking a log though.

there is a larger, and similar device the army uses to clear land mines...great big drum with chains on it...and a bombproof vehicles behind it..chains dig into the ground and detonate the mines...leaves a nicely tilled garden spot too..:givebeer:

Thanks for all the responses !

Thank you for everybody's postings. Are the debarkers that scratch a travel line in the log really effective ? Has anybody seen the one Hudson makes in action ?
I couldn't get the guys at the logging show in Rutland to demo it for me last year.
P.S. an ice chopper makes a pretty good bark peeler.

Back