Log Mills

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCalCutters#3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We are ending up with a large inventory and supply of logs from our jobs and I need to mill them sooner or later. The Fir and oaks are 12" to 36" but the Redwoods are up to 54" or more. We always cut them under 21' . The guy I barter with now runs a Wood Mizer LT40 Hyd. and he rips the larger logs looseing some wood. He realiticly cuts 1500-2000 in a day. I have never seen the Loucas's run. I am wanting to buy a mill soon to save money on farming the work out. If any one has comments or experience thread some down
:Monkey:

NorCAl,
If you are in the market for a swing blade mill you have to check out Peterson portable sawmills. My friend is a dealer here in New England and I have run it a few times. You can really rip through some logs with it. He posts over in the Foresty Forum under the name Captain. I think it is a nicer set-up than the Lucas but it is a little more money.

Brian

Norcal,
I hate to throw cold water on the deal, but my advice is to just keep farming out the milling.
I was in your position a few years ago, so I built my own band mill (Never again). It works great, but unless you are a glutton for punishment, and have nothing better to do with your time you are money ahead to pay this guy to mill it for you. :blob2:

red,
You got any pics of your band mill? What was so punishing about running it?

I'll get some pic's posted soon.
By the time you run it 8 to 10 hours cutting beams, cants, and 2x12's then go home and set, and sharpen the 3 to 5 blades you dulled, then concider the fact you are competing with Lowe's, and Home Depot....
I use it to cut my own stuff, but I can make a lot more money chipping brush, and selling my logs to one of the local sawmills. :blob2:

Not a bad looking mill. How much time did you invest building it?

It's hard to say, design and build probably around 5 or 600 hours. A lot of trying something out and then tearing it out and starting over.
I may have been better off to buy one, but I console myself with the fact that I don't have to make payments on this one. :blob2:

redprospector said:
I may have been better off to buy one

That's what I was thinking, along with the fact that a mill made by a manufacturer that had turned out thousands of mills might be easier to use. Not to say anything derogatory about your fabrication skills, but experience certainly counts for something.

rb_in_va said:
That's what I was thinking, along with the fact that a mill made by a manufacturer that had turned out thousands of mills might be easier to use. Not to say anything derogatory about your fabrication skills, but experience certainly counts for something.

Exactly!! :blob2:

Is that thing self driven or do you have to push it through the wood? I have run a couple now and the self driven ones with the electric controls are so nice to run. I keep my eyes open al the time trying to find a decent used mill for a fair price, well fair to me anyway!

Hey Norcal, there was a lady right near you selling off her husbands LT40HD just recently, I'll see if I can track it down and forward it to ya. Theres a website that lists used mills for sale by owner, I'll have to get on my other computer to find the link and get it to you though. I thought WM had a list of used mills for sale, you might check with them on their website.

I managed to buy a small circular mill (44") from a guy who sold his land to a developer and couldn't take the mill to his place. $1500 for the mill, engine, sawdust vacuum/blower, and Asplundh chip box. Not too bad.:) Way faster than a band mill and the sled the log rides on is propelled by the engine. Only work is rolling the log:)

tnt,
That sounds like a real sweet deal you got! 44" is a small circ mill?

If you want a free video and brochure on the Lucas Mills give us a call at 800 322 4539 or online at www.baileys-online.com

baileys_logo_arboristsite_1.gif

Grande Dog
Master Mechanic
Discount Arborist Equipment and Tree Care Supplies

Last edited:
The Lucas video is really good! How does the Lucas work for small logs though? The one in the video is freakin huge!

Latest posts

Back