Log removal from "mountain"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
are you crazy? first you cant shove trees downhill on dirt, you need snow and ice and even then its dangerous! get a dozer and someone who knows how to build roads. my dad scares the h!@# out of me! the last lot we worked was more than 3000 ft straight up but roads criss crossing, let me tell ya we cant work it in the winter its way too steep! not even to the second level or the skidder would roll and someone would get hurt! so we go back next spring! whatever you decide and theres lots of good advice here be VERY VERY careful!

Call me...I'll come out show you how to rig a winching system that is man portable and easy to use. 300 Trees Cedar depending on dia and length might run 5-10 working days allowing for clean up and weather. Nothing good old block and trackle can't do...proved more times then I can count.

Onion,
I gather they are eastern red cedar like we got in KY? A couple of guys could do it in a few days....Use a capstan winch and fiber rope...forget the cabling and expensive items....start at the furthest point up the hil cut all the trees to be removed down, cut the slash up good then rig out from a winching point about 200ft down the hill. Use a piece of plate steel with a bend at one end to make the plate slide over the under brush and junk. carry or roll as many logs as you can tie on to this piece of plate over to it and pull away down the hill. Don't run trucks or atv's into the woods keep the impact as low as possible. Your will make goodtime. Just remember in the old day in the app. mountains men worked hard for less.

By the way Eastern red cedar has one great property ....It's lite. two men on a 8.5ft log 14in is not that big a feat to move from place to place on their sholders....350-400lbs depending on moisture in the log and all..

oh hell im not trying to piss anyone off never used the block and tacle that was for motors! we have however used ladders to bring a tree back getting the choker as high as possible oh definately not safe but we didnt want it on the electric lines or phones(my dad is great at that.. long story lol) what a mess it worked ive done it before for my old boss and at that time i wasnt even sure how to drive a skidder!!!! talk about stupid! oh well it was my baby cat 318! and just for curiosity i have no clue what youre talking about! my dad is old school and ive never heard of some of the things youre speaking about maybe i just wasnt listening, keep talking! im learning

Well we are head on into low impact logging....Old school like skills used in 1700's not old school like 1900's. Other then using a chainsaw powered capstan winch we try to do it the really old ways. Seems the ways then were far lower impact then could ever be explained. send me your email address to [email protected] and I will draw you a simple picture scan it and email it to you.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back