Log Splitter Engine Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I mounted a vintage 5 Hp Kohler Command 5 engine, got it started, and it ran for about 15 seconds. I had high hopes, but then it conked out, spewing fuel out the muffler and even out the cup below the carburetor, flooding instantly. Eventually I couldn't even pull the starter rope because the cylinder was so packed with fuel.

I checked the spark and it's good. Looks like I need to work on the carb. Somebody mentioned a stuck float valve. Any other suggestions? I hate to give up on it, and I really think we can fix this engine as a team. Just show me the way. TIA.

Float stuck and/or bad needle and seat is my bet. Don't run it until you change the oil and repair the carb.

Only the carb can do that.
I have once close to your problem and I end up to buy a new carb. After that never happened again.
Problem is, Kohler no longer makes this engine and I'm not sure if I can find a new carb for it. I thought maybe I could rebuild it, use carb cleaner, etc. I'm trying to fix this for a friend whose Dad built the splitter from scratch some 30 years ago.

Problem is, Kohler no longer makes this engine and I'm not sure if I can find a new carb for it. I thought maybe I could rebuild it, use carb cleaner, etc. I'm trying to fix this for a friend whose Dad built the splitter from scratch some 30 years ago.
You can do that to. But never use air to clean any carbs. Just carb cleaner.
If you give me the carb info. I can check some places maybe get lucky. But first try to see if you can fix it. OK?

I blow carbs out with air all the time. About the only quick and safe way to clear out passages.
yup...the only time its bad is if it has a rubber seat and you forget to remove it first, and don't have another one...good luck finding that after it rockets out of the carb:dumb2:
also a command series kohler's aint old...parts readily available...
personally I would just clean the carb, and try it, usually works 90% of the time, if not then at most it would need a carb kit (~$20) no need to buy a whole carb...unless it don't have one!

If it got run and sat for years with booze gas in it..meh. Take it off and check it out first of course, but it could have a lot of white death in it..new carb then why fool around.

You might luck out though and just have a leaky float fulla gas.

Well, at least you guys have encouraged me to fix this engine. It still has good compression and a good spark. Look at it this way. I can replace it with an engine rated at the same power from HF for about $100 and maybe some change. Or, I can spend a day or so trying to get this old Kohler to run the same way it did 20 years ago.

Most millennials would probably tell me to landfill this engine and buy a new one from China. That's the way it is these days. Frankly, I'd like to see the Kohler run again. WDYT?

If you have the time and inclination, go for it.

I think in most cases you should at least make a good enough diagnosis to choose fix or scrap. No harm nor foul just taking a peek at the carb.

If you have the time and inclination, go for it.

I think in most cases you should at least make a good enough diagnosis to choose fix or scrap. No harm nor foul just taking a peek at the carb.
What about this? Just take the carb off, soak it for 24 hours in a good solvent and check the seals. That might be all that it needs. This thing has rested dormant for five years. Its "joints" might be stiff.

It seems like I owe at least that much to it before it goes to the landfill, but all the millennials are telling me to trash it and buy a replacement at HF for $100.

Well, maybe..I would still want to look at the float and blow it out with carb spray. Old engine like that might have a metal float and they for sure can leak after a long time and it will just dump fuel like crazy and flood it out, and keep doing that until the gas is all down in the crankcase.

Or..just stick the 100 buck engine on and keep the old one and dork around with it on a nasty day when ya got nuthin else to do.

My sorta track record on two strokes is usually a good cleaning fixes them, sometimes a kit, four stroke small engine carbs..meh. 50/50 at the best, usually look for a new carb if they are real nasty looking inside, as in, a carb kit is usually around half a brand new aftermarket carb.

The millenials have a point, they have been raised with cheap import stuff, and it is "sufficient". You really don't hear a lot of complaints say about predator engines, etc.

Like most millenials even know what Harbor Freight sells :p

(I can't throw stones too far...my default is to buy a new carb, since I never learned how to rebuild one...I look at the parts and kind of know what they do...came to the conclusion it's something you need to learn by being shown a time or three. I once changed a timing chain in a Volvo just by reading the Chiltons and that made a lot more sense than any time I've tried to understand a carb.)

Well, let me think about it. Tomorrow I have to buck up one or two truckloads of hardwood. The property owner says the tree blew down last week. So, I could be looking at some nice rounds to split. I've also got some chainsaws to repair-- three Echo top handle saws brought in by a tree removal company. No rest for the wicked these days.

I'll spend so me time on the Kohler. Believe me, it looks like a nice engine in need of a good carb and that's all that it needs.

Had a problem just like this on a pressure washer once. Ended up being a stuck float. I tore down the carb and soaked it for a couple hours in a mason jar with some Sea Foam. Ran like a champ after.

Well, at least you guys have encouraged me to fix this engine. It still has good compression and a good spark. Look at it this way. I can replace it with an engine rated at the same power from HF for about $100 and maybe some change. Or, I can spend a day or so trying to get this old Kohler to run the same way it did 20 years ago.

Most millennials would probably tell me to landfill this engine and buy a new one from China. That's the way it is these days. Frankly, I'd like to see the Kohler run again. WDYT?
As a millennial I would say if the engine is all there and has compression rebuild it. Kohler makes a bit better of an engine than HF junk. Just a bit. Plus you get to learn how to rebuild a carb and how to troubleshoot the engine in case of future problems.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

engine hydro locked - stuck float, as noted prior also change oil as it will be about the consistency of kerosene. On a positive note it will have a really clean crankcase.

If the carb has rust or aluminum corrosion from ethanol it is time for a new carb. Otherwise clean and rebuild.

Sounds like all you may need is to take off the bowl and clean / spray carb cleaner up there and clean the float jet. Might need a gasket if it leaks after you get it back together. Worth spending 5 minutes on before tearing it down.

Sounds like a float or needle valve \ seat issue. Easy fix. Lots of YouTube videos on rebuilding Kohler command carburetors.

Do change the oil after you fix the problem and before you start the engine. Do it in that order so you don't flood the fresh oil with gas. Been there, done that.

As usual, you guys are great. I'll view the tutorial and do he best I can to save it. I've been told that the Kohler Command 5 has huge torque and delivers very well for log splitting. Its Hp rating is an underestimation and compares favorably to any 6.5 Hp sold today. Cosmetically, it even looks good, especially with the new muffler I built for it in my shop. If I get it running, I'll be sure to post Pics.

Latest posts

Back