Log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the great help guys. I made a decision to just keep the splitter in ID. Too much liberal law in WA. That is just rediculous to go through all that just tow the dang thing! I guess if there is ever a time I need to take it to WA, its gonne be in my bed in pieces!

From what 2 people have told me today, they said here in ID I dont need a dang thing to tow it. Just tow it and call it good!

I'm gonna take it with a few grains of salt, so I suppose I'm gonna have to wait till Monday since today was the last chance until then. I called the Boise office and they said I need to call the local office where I'm at to get the specifics on it.

I got it last night finally, at midnight. What a shpiel it was to get it from the guy! Anyhoo, I'm looking at it and it is a Speeco 22ton split master. Its got a briggs and stratton 650 series motor. Apparently it hasnt even been ran. I gotta go through it and purdy it up as it looks like someone spit mud all over it. The engine and hydraulic resevoir is bone dry. I also get to replace the wheel bearings in it cause one side is toasted...

But all in all, this oughtta be one helluva splitter! Well, it is cause I never had one before, lol! :clap:

You could get temp trip permit for short halls, or just take a chance.

You could get temp trip permit for short halls, or just take a chance.

I forgot to mention that in WA. At one time they were pretty openended in that some of the infor wouldn't be filled in and you could keep the trip permit and a pen handy in the cab, quick pen in the date as the trooper was walking up to you :)

I got my new tags for the car today and was warned that 'if more than one person is listed on the regisstration, _all_ must sign it. If you are stopped and all didn't sign you will get a $240 (IIRC) ticket" Talk about harrassment!

Harry K

Last edited:
Personally I would pull it til I got caught.

:agree2: I have a Vermeer Mdl 630A stump grinder and it's narrow enough that you can see the trucks lights. I was once told there is a class of towable equipment in MD that doesn't need tags, things like the towable cement mixers, wood splitters and my stump grinder. I've had it for 10 years or more and have never been stopped. On the other hand I've seen log splitters from rental places and they had tags.

I got a home made title for a boat trainler once, it was pretty easy. Go to DMV and they will tell you what to do, Joe.

...looks like its just gonna be smooth sailing for me! Thanks for the help MGA! Rep coming your way.

If your other equipment (and you) are licensed in Idaho I would think you could tow it in Washington without tags. Maybe not completely legal but I would think that would be a good enough excuse if pulled over. "Gee Officer, I didn't know...". I wondered about that here in Illinois. The rental yard units don't have tags or lights. I called and was told it wasn't needed for specific purpose (or something like that) units - log splitters, cement mixers, etc that don't have room for hauling general stuff. A splitter on a flat bed trailer still needs tags.

Reminds me of an issue I had a number of years back with state to state regs... I made a light trailer for an small airplane I was working on in Oregon. In Oregon you don't need trailer tags (or at least didn't at the time) if it is under some size (small boats, etc). When I moved to Missouri I wondered about tags but figured I had an Oregon license and would be driving a U Haul so has a good excuse and just went for it. Never was stopped. Never used the trailer in Missouri other than moving it there and never got the plane going. When I moved to Indiana I figured I better get a tag but I had already switched my license, etc to Indiana. Indiana said I needed to bring the trailer in for inspection to get a temp tag. Missouri said they couldn't issue the tag for some reason I forget. So I just went for it. Again no problem. Ended up selling the stuff in Indiana so never did license it.

If it is very limited use I think I would wait until I got caught. I try to obey the laws but sometimes they make it very difficult. If for commercial use you should probably get the tags. Just my opinion, YMMV.

I had to go through this with the Splitter I built on an old boat trailer. In my experience anything towed on the road has to have basic brake lights and fenders over the wheels to pass inspection. I got issued a permanant trailer plate. Only 20 bucks for 2 years. SHouldn't be too big a deal.

If you have a few different towable items that would need registration, why not just roll them up on a registrated utility trailer......tie'em down and go....

title

Hey guys, I was wondering, since some log splitters are towed behind the truck, would it need a title? I cant find anything on the net saying that one does.

In ga.you dont have to title or register a log splitter ,but you do have to have lights on it,utility trailers have to be registered tagged and lighted

Thanks for all the great help guys. I made a decision to just keep the splitter in ID. Too much liberal law in WA. That is just rediculous to go through all that just tow the dang thing! I guess if there is ever a time I need to take it to WA, its gonne be in my bed in pieces!

From what 2 people have told me today, they said here in ID I dont need a dang thing to tow it. Just tow it and call it good!

I'm gonna take it with a few grains of salt, so I suppose I'm gonna have to wait till Monday since today was the last chance until then. I called the Boise office and they said I need to call the local office where I'm at to get the specifics on it.

I got it last night finally, at midnight. What a shpiel it was to get it from the guy! Anyhoo, I'm looking at it and it is a Speeco 22ton split master. Its got a briggs and stratton 650 series motor. Apparently it hasnt even been ran. I gotta go through it and purdy it up as it looks like someone spit mud all over it. The engine and hydraulic resevoir is bone dry. I also get to replace the wheel bearings in it cause one side is toasted...

But all in all, this oughtta be one helluva splitter! Well, it is cause I never had one before, lol! :clap:

But also in the state of Georgia you can register any thing,i could take that splitter down to the dmv fill out the papers,they would give me a id plate ,tthey would come out and inspect it for lights and safety,charge me 27.00 and give me a tag and registration,thye want that revenue

I'm still technically a WA resident cause I have a WA license and plates. But I'm living in ID. Soon I will be a resident. I have the splitter in ID and I've been running it since yesterday. What a blast! Had to do some fixing on it and whatnot, but now that it runs, BOY! Just watching it split these rounds that are 24" around just makes me wonder why I did'nt do it sooner...

I towed it today about 6 blocks, and did'nt have a copper around. But, I did notice that I don't feel good towing it very far at all. SOB has no suspension and bounces around and I have to slow down for every bump, etc. Just a pain.

I think that if I decide to keep the splitter a long time, I'm gonna rid the splitter of the weld on spindles to the hyd. tank and get a real deal on it. Mount perches, and springs, axle and shocks.

I'm still technically a WA resident cause I have a WA license and plates. But I'm living in ID. Soon I will be a resident. I have the splitter in ID and I've been running it since yesterday. What a blast! Had to do some fixing on it and whatnot, but now that it runs, BOY! Just watching it split these rounds that are 24" around just makes me wonder why I did'nt do it sooner...

I towed it today about 6 blocks, and did'nt have a copper around. But, I did notice that I don't feel good towing it very far at all. SOB has no suspension and bounces around and I have to slow down for every bump, etc. Just a pain.

I think that if I decide to keep the splitter a long time, I'm gonna rid the splitter of the weld on spindles to the hyd. tank and get a real deal on it. Mount perches, and springs, axle and shocks.

Sounds like a plan. Something I had planned to add to my homebuilt was a sleeve to stick a bicycle flag in. It bothered me the few times I towed it to not be able to see anythign of it back there. Mine also had no springs and relied on very low air pressure - not a good solution.

Harry K

I sometimes see the top of the 2" thick piece of steel the log sits on. I much rather would prefer to have the tailgate down, but if I'm towing the splitter, I've got the chainsaw and tools, etc.

Won't matter though, all I need is to go faster, turn or go over a bump to know its still there, lol.

I think I'm gonna start a new thread or something and show you all what I've got going on...

i built mine on top of a small boat trailer. lemme tell ya, those leaf springs are the cats meow when you have to tow it.

my splitter goes back and forth between my home and my BIL's home several times a year, 60 miles round trip, and on the hi-way you can do 65 without a worry.

if you have to tow one, look into leaf springs.

in the beginning.......
J.jpg

Last edited:
Back