Oil in carb of log splitter engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Engine oil smells like gas, I’m thinking fuel ran from gas tank and increased the oil level in the crankcase until it ran into carburetor. I’ll drain the engine oil tomorrow.
Honda engines are notorious for bad carburetors allowing fuel to leak into the crankcase, thus over filling same. Most I have seen have a fuel shutoff valve for that reason. Be glad it didn't start. You may have blown it up. Excess crankcase pressure, etc. :cool: OT

That sounds like a stuck or defective float/needle valve in the carburetor. If the float gets stuck or the needle valve sticks open, it allows too much fuel to enter, which can then overflow out the carb and air intake.

Got it running just before twilight, used it to make kindling already. We were almost out of kindling. I removed the spark plug and pulled the starter cord a few times, it flung just a bit of oil. I got the air hose and blew the cylinder out. Then I put it all together, started pretty quick and runs good. It did blow a puff of smoke in the beginning, then ran normal.

Got it running just before twilight, used it to make kindling already. We were almost out of kindling. I removed the spark plug and pulled the starter cord a few times, it flung just a bit of oil. I got the air hose and blew the cylinder out. Then I put it all together, started pretty quick and runs good. It did blow a puff of smoke in the beginning, then ran normal.
Good to hear. Thanks for letting everyone know. Please remember to shut off the fuel valve coming from the tank. If it doesn't have one, put one on it. Honda engines are notorious for leaking fuel to the crankcase through the carb. Old carb, new carb, rebuilt carb. Doesn't seem to matter. jmho :cool: OT

Back