Log Trailer for Road Use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It takes up about 3ft of the tongue area but some of that is area that couldn't be used anyway. The grapple will pick up about 2,000lbs. For the sides I welded some pockets on and put metal stakes in them. Then I bolted boards on the sides the full length. The back end has heavy duty grating. I haul full size trees in it, just cut them into a couple pieces and load the whole mess brush, trunk and all. A lot of time is saved by not having to cut trees up into smaller pieces. I wish the trailer was a little longer as I can only fit 10ft pieces in now. I may extend the trailer in the near future.

It takes up about 3ft of the tongue area but some of that is area that couldn't be used anyway. The grapple will pick up about 2,000lbs. For the sides I welded some pockets on and put metal stakes in them. Then I bolted boards on the sides the full length. The back end has heavy duty grating. I haul full size trees in it, just cut them into a couple pieces and load the whole mess brush, trunk and all. A lot of time is saved by not having to cut trees up into smaller pieces. I wish the trailer was a little longer as I can only fit 10ft pieces in now. I may extend the trailer in the near future.

I'm finally making a decision on the trailer. I'm going with your idea and having a power unit and grapple attached to one of my two trailers. I have a 12' dump trailer and a 16' equipment trailer. I think it would mount easier to the equipment trailer, but I think I would get much more use out of it on the dump trailer. I am just sacrificing length of logs, but I think that's the better choice. I will get more versatility out of having the grapple on the dump for other projects in addition to hauling logs.

wow

I called Hud-son today. When I asked how much they were, I knew it was going to be bad when he asked me, "How much do you think one of these goes for?". I guessed around 20k. He said around 26k for the options that I wanted, 2 5/16" coupler and 12 or 14k weight rating...it's still steep for me right now.

That's expensive. I bet you could buy a used truck with a loader already mounted on it for that much. Then stop using a little pickup truck entirely, shift the insurance and tag expense to the real work truck. One with all wheel drive maybe.

Then just have a good high MPG commuter car for when you don't need a work truck. No reason to drive around a pickup empty most of the time just as a commuter car, like I see with most pickups out there..nearly always empty..

That's expensive. I bet you could buy a used truck with a loader already mounted on it for that much. Then stop using a little pickup truck entirely, shift the insurance and tag expense to the real work truck. One with all wheel drive maybe.

Then just have a good high MPG commuter car for when you don't need a work truck. No reason to drive around a pickup empty most of the time just as a commuter car, like I see with most pickups out there..nearly always empty..

I have no intention of buying a complete set up, I just want the grapple and power pack. I am going to mount it to either my 12k dump trailer or my 12k equipment trailer. My dump truck can handle the rest. It costs $12 per year to register a large trailer in PA. I don't have to hassle with DOT numbers, CDL licenses, physicals, and all the nonsense that goes with it.

My buddies log truck is a money pit...granted its 20 years old, but it spends a lot of time in the shop with a big price tag every time. Log trucks and the trash haulers here are always on DOT's radar as well. The way I see it, for my needs, with a Bailey's grapple and power pack mounted to one of my trailers, as opposed to a log truck, I'm putting 15k back in my pocket every year, and have more versatility.

That makes sense

I have no intention of buying a complete set up, I just want the grapple and power pack. I am going to mount it to either my 12k dump trailer or my 12k equipment trailer. My dump truck can handle the rest. It costs $12 per year to register a large trailer in PA. I don't have to hassle with DOT numbers, CDL licenses, physicals, and all the nonsense that goes with it.

My buddies log truck is a money pit...granted its 20 years old, but it spends a lot of time in the shop with a big price tag every time. Log trucks and the trash haulers here are always on DOT's radar as well. The way I see it, for my needs, with a Bailey's grapple and power pack mounted to one of my trailers, as opposed to a log truck, I'm putting 15k back in my pocket every year, and have more versatility.

Sounds like you have it all analyzed out to your favor. Good luck with your project! I feel lucky to have access to a tractor with a cargo box on the three point hitch. Moves enough firewood for me so far.....

Latest posts

Back