Log Transportion Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdhershey

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Over the past couple months I've been doing some cutting around my property, mostly the thin the woods out, but I'm also hoping to make a little money off some of the wood. Right now its just me working on weekends, and some nights after work with a headlamp. I am hauling the logs around by digging my pulp hook into the ones I can't lift and dragging them inch by inch through the snow. When I get going down hill and pack a nice trail it gets a little easier, but I was hoping someone could help me figure out and easier way (but still not to pricey) on getting these logs around. The one's I've been wrestling around are only cut at 8ft, but in order to make some money they need to be 12ft minimum, and hauling around a 12ft log with my pulp hook is definitely not going to be easy. If I can skid them out of the woods I can hook onto them with my truck and haul them down toward my house. But I guess what I want to know is there an easier way to move these logs around. Or should I just break down and buy a tractor. Thanks alot.

If you are looking for a toy get a four wheeler. If you want a real work machine look at a compact tractor with a loader.

The idea is to somehow make or buy something which will lift the front part of the log off the ground. Like this...

skidder.jpg

I think the iron horse is around $12-15k depending on options. You could get a four wheeler and a log arch with money left over. A compact tractor with loader migth be the most useful.

A lot depends on the actual size of your logs and the species. In the early days I did a lot of small stuff under 12 inches across and up to 12ft long by using a manual "log lifter" to position logs, small skidding sled to drag logs, and some snatchblocks to move the logs out of the woodlot. The snatchblocks would be put high in some anchor trees. I used wire cable and later Amsteel rope that went out to 100ft or more to move the logs to the trail. The amount of log lifting is minimal and the overall cost is less than $400 dollars for everything. After I did this for a few years I then purchased a tractor with a Farmi winch but initially I did pretty well with my little set of equipment. Hope this helps?

A wire rope choker works really well if you have a four-wheeler or tractor or something to pull them with. A log arch (see the Logrite products for example) can be hand operated or pulled behind a vehicle. Winches and muscle will work to a point, but if you have much of it to do you will need to get some sort of tow vehicle in there.

I assumed he would be using his truck to pull the logs. If he positions the snatchblocks (at least two) in such a way he will have no problem pulling the logs to the trails. If he goes off the trail then a tractor or ATV would be prudent but you can pull a lot of logs using snatchblocks and just your truck.

A good team of horses or for the logs size your talking about a single horse will do can be bought with a harness for $1500.00 and it would be able too do all your logging needs plus help you with work on the farm! There is the draft horse power ass. that is located there in Vermont where you can get all sorts of information on how to horse log they will probably no where to get a horse if you dont know of any in your area! Here is a link for them Draft Animal Power - Sustainable Farming, Forestry and Living - Powered by vBulletin

cheap used beater 4x4

Over the past couple months I've been doing some cutting around my property, mostly the thin the woods out, but I'm also hoping to make a little money off some of the wood. Right now its just me working on weekends, and some nights after work with a headlamp. I am hauling the logs around by digging my pulp hook into the ones I can't lift and dragging them inch by inch through the snow. When I get going down hill and pack a nice trail it gets a little easier, but I was hoping someone could help me figure out and easier way (but still not to pricey) on getting these logs around. The one's I've been wrestling around are only cut at 8ft, but in order to make some money they need to be 12ft minimum, and hauling around a 12ft log with my pulp hook is definitely not going to be easy. If I can skid them out of the woods I can hook onto them with my truck and haul them down toward my house. But I guess what I want to know is there an easier way to move these logs around. Or should I just break down and buy a tractor. Thanks alot.

--just a maybe, but every area always has someone selling a real rat cheap 4x4, something that still runs, but isn't worth being turned back into an on road daily driver. Something like that, cut the fenders, install some tractor tires on it, with some beefy chains....when it isn't going on the road or being driven fast, it opens up the tire possibilities a lot.

--or really, just get a small tractor. There's a reason that tool exists, actually thousands of reasons. They are just so useful for so many things. For what they want for a new ATV you can get a decent used tractor. Then, add whatever attachments you might need. Even just a small 20-30 horse diesel tractor will have no probs dragging your sized logs out. And those little tractors sip fuel. Then you can have a decent garden, up to market garden sized. get a PTO emergency generator, have a sprayer, run an arbor saw, keep your road graded, your fields mowed, plowing and ploughing, move dirt, move your wood, dig fence holes... do this do that....It's the original "one powerhead, zillion attachments" tool. Anyone who owns land and wants to work that land, no matter what the "work" is, needs a tractor of some kind.

You'll keep finding uses for it, believe me.

Anyway, props for being the human mule. I did similar, dragging out firewood logs on tramped down trails in the snow, then cutting by hand, for some years when I was younger. I built my own "pulling harness" from some army surplus packs and webbing stuff.

builds character..something like that.

A good team of horses or for the logs size your talking about a single horse will do can be bought with a harness for $1500.00 and it would be able too do all your logging needs plus help you with work on the farm! There is the draft horse power ass. that is located there in Vermont where you can get all sorts of information on how to horse log they will probably no where to get a horse if you dont know of any in your area! Here is a link for them Draft Animal Power - Sustainable Farming, Forestry and Living - Powered by vBulletin

Horses would probably do a good job. But a motorized machine only eats when it's working. :laughn:

But there again horse make there own fuel and fix them selfs most of the time plus in most states you dont pay taxes on them like you do machinery ! So it off sets itself. And where can you find a tractor or four wheeler thats any good for between $500.00 and $ 1500.00 You might find an old beater truck for that kind of money but you will tear up your property with that! It all depends on how he wants to make his property look after hes done!

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I really like the look of that Logrite equipment, its some cool stuff. I also really like the idea of getting a horse, only then I'd have to build someplace for it to live and give it a pasture. Getting a beater truck and turning it into a log hauler was something I never thought of, but a wicked good idea (something that may just happen), I also am starting to look at some tractors on craigslist and around town. Thanks for all the help guys, I'll keep you posted on what I will be getting.

Junior arch

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I really like the look of that Logrite equipment, its some cool stuff. I also really like the idea of getting a horse, only then I'd have to build someplace for it to live and give it a pasture. Getting a beater truck and turning it into a log hauler was something I never thought of, but a wicked good idea (something that may just happen), I also am starting to look at some tractors on craigslist and around town. Thanks for all the help guys, I'll keep you posted on what I will be getting.

I just looked at those logrite arches, neat stuff! It seems though that junior arch designed for use as you as the motive power might need some sort of brakes on it, and I don't see any. What do you do with that thing when it starts sliding downhill on ya? Jump outta the way, then pick it up later whenever it stops?

Bwa. this is funny. I lived one year up in your state. I used a 93 lb dog as my skidder. I would tramp the trails out first and carry my bowsaw and ax, then hook up reasonable logs (obviously not huge, up to six to eight inches diameter, sometimes several in a bundle..what I was comfortable with bucking by hand easy) for him to pull back down to the single wide I was renting for final bucking up. Luckily for us all the wood was uphill (real steep in spots as you can imagine), so dragging out wasn't that bad. I'd get behind with a rope attached and help act as the braking system sometimes. I remember that doggie ate ten lbs a day, plus all the table scraps. He was half irish wolfhound, half english sheepdog.

Didja ever see these things? Made in new hampshire. I never road one but saw one being demoed at a dealer, they look really spiffy and can pull stuff and have other attachments. Like a real small four wheel drive tractor cut in half, plus road legal as a motorcycle!

ROKON

I also like the idea of a horse or mule or donkey, etc, but I ain't a trainer for those things and never worked with one. We have a donkey but got him full grown and he is more or less a pet who hangs out with the beefers and is supposed to keep the coyotes and wild dogs away from the herd. I have yet to be able to get a bridle on him. I can pet him, brush him, etc, but he even catches a glimpse of that bridle and he takes off. I guess the previous owner maybe abused him? I don't know. Man, them critters can turn fast and kick high and hard, too.

I just looked at those logrite arches, neat stuff! It seems though that junior arch designed for use as you as the motive power might need some sort of brakes on it, and I don't see any. What do you do with that thing when it starts sliding downhill on ya? Jump outta the way, then pick it up later whenever it stops?

Bwa. this is funny. I lived one year up in your state. I used a 93 lb dog as my skidder. I would tramp the trails out first and carry my bowsaw and ax, then hook up reasonable logs (obviously not huge, up to six to eight inches diameter, sometimes several in a bundle..what I was comfortable with bucking by hand easy) for him to pull back down to the single wide I was renting for final bucking up. Luckily for us all the wood was uphill (real steep in spots as you can imagine), so dragging out wasn't that bad. I'd get behind with a rope attached and help act as the braking system sometimes. I remember that doggie ate ten lbs a day, plus all the table scraps. He was half irish wolfhound, half english sheepdog.

Didja ever see these things? Made in new hampshire. I never road one but saw one being demoed at a dealer, they look really spiffy and can pull stuff and have other attachments. Like a real small four wheel drive tractor cut in half, plus road legal as a motorcycle!

ROKON

I also like the idea of a horse or mule or donkey, etc, but I ain't a trainer for those things and never worked with one. We have a donkey but got him full grown and he is more or less a pet who hangs out with the beefers and is supposed to keep the coyotes and wild dogs away from the herd. I have yet to be able to get a bridle on him. I can pet him, brush him, etc, but he even catches a glimpse of that bridle and he takes off. I guess the previous owner maybe abused him? I don't know. Man, them critters can turn fast and kick high and hard, too.

That Rokon is quite something...it would be real handy in the tight woods were a tractor or even four wheeler couldn't squeeze.

MY question is how do you get the gas out of the wheel and into your tank

I don't know. I would imagine there's a valve system and you would drain it out into a container, then into your tank. They have normal wheels as well, the hollow ones are on the deluxe version. I only watched a demo and was standing there amazed at what the bike could do. It's completely different from a regular long suspension travel real light in the front dirt bike, so it would ride different of course, it really is a sawed in half mini compact tractor. built for slow and powerful, point A to B, nuthin stands in the way. Plus +1 being actually road legal if you care to go that way, albeit a rather modest topend..still useful for country life.

All the attachments are neat, and I am sure you could fab your own as well. Two wheel drive on a two wheeler is neat for some applications. I used to have a front mounted little gas engine on a ten speed, man that thing really made it easy to climb nasty hills and haul cargo.

They really do need a diesel engine option though on that rokon..but gasoline sure starts easier when it is cold out. Diesel stores longer and off road diesel is real easy to find compared to offroad no tax gasoline, and is cheaper. Seems for that sort of machine though you would want more torque, so diesel rules there. tradeoffs.

Latest posts

Back