log truck wanted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what do you think about this truck for 75k?
Re : 98 Int'l Tandem w/ Loader (#11343)
The truck itself has 280k on it and the boom has been reconditioned and the box and dump/piston are all brand new. This is the one I really want, but have not looked at it yet. I think i could fit a lot of logs in it for selling the lumber and it would be a good match for my tree service.

Description
1998 International 4900, Tandem Axle, Prentice 120 Loader w/ Grapple, 22' Dumping Steel Platform w/ Steel Sides, DT466E 250 HP, 9 Spd, Air Ride

Contact Information
Schultz Equipment
Paul Schultz
PO Box 100
Iron Mountain
MI - 49801
USA
800-562-7162

Photo(s)
Click the Image(s) to Enlarge

Last edited:
All nice trucks, but I am really sold on the tandem or tri axle. My tree service will be dead slow by Nov/Dec.
I will be moving onto my property upstate and the utility companys property (ROW for transmission where I work) and will betaking 10-16' sections of trees for lumber. This aspect of the busisness is where I can really profit from.
On the utility property, I have a abundance of black walnut and cherry.
On my property, I have a lot more oak and pine. I want to be able to transport a lot of wood to the mill on one trip. There is a sawmill about 25 min from the property upstate, but all the nice lumber at the utility companys property, the local mill is 1 hour without traffic and in that area there is always traffic. I was even considering a tri axle or a tandem with a floater. i really like the INT'l I listed above, but I was suprised it is not double framed and in the pic, it almost apears to be slightly off at the point of the boom (it may just be me) but I dont want a huge investment to have a bent frame!. I also found a truck on truck trader a 1998 sterling lt9513. The truck is very nice, 150k on the motor and has a 42'imt boom with kinsopper debri grapple. It is nice because the extra length is great for the tree service and the truck is in original cond, (not rebuilt) and is super clean It is a tandem and appears to be well taken care of + it is very local. It is going for 95k. I may be able to stretch the loan to 80 and try to neg. on the truck. I am also trying to look into how much the truck would be fully insured and if there are any special permits involved. i heard here in NY they have special commercial for any crane/boom truck that would save me $ on it.

Last edited:
try these guys they specialize in knucklebooms and log loaders:

www.opykes.com 877-633-8450 (new & used)
www.threelakestruck.com 715-546-2054 (new & used)
www.timberlandtrucks.com 732-938-5779 (new & used)
www.trucks.com 888-701-8610 (new & used)
05 Frieghtliner tandem $119,000 (ex of new priced truck)
www.scaffidi.com 800-472-2133 (new & used)
www.craneworx.com 800-683-5438 (new)
www.aspenequipment.com 952-888-2525 (new & used)
www.vhtrucks.com 800-826-2308 (new)
Andy's Truck & Equipment Center 772-463-5770 (used)
www.kwtruckequipment.com 715-234-4415 (new & used)
www.equipmentrepo.com 800-940-4169
www.robertsdieselworks.com 800-341-1370 (new & used

1997 Frieghtlinjer L-80 tandem, Prentice 120, 190K, 20' dump bed $56K 814-941-7765 or 814-935-6478 (cell)

2005 Sterling LT9513 Alilsion Auto, 3K miles, Prentice 124,
log racks $149K 978-258-1064

2005 International 4300, with tag axle, 4K miles, 22' dump, Hood 7000 log loader $99K 504-669-0819

Thats most of it hope it helps. Jazak

Wolf66 said:
i really like the INT'l I listed above, but I was suprised it is not double framed and in the pic, it almost apears to be slightly off at the point of the boom (it may just be me) but I dont want a huge investment to have a bent frame!.

I also found a truck on truck trader a 1998 sterling lt9513. The truck is very nice, 150k on the motor and has a 42'imt boom with kinsopper debri grapple. It is nice because the extra length is great for the tree service and the truck is in original cond, (not rebuilt) and is super clean It is a tandem and appears to be well taken care of + it is very local. It is going for 95k. I may be able to stretch the loan to 80 and try to neg. on the truck. I am also trying to look into how much the truck would be fully insured and if there are any special permits involved. i heard here in NY they have special commercial for any crane/boom truck that would save me $ on it.

The Intnl is in good condition. Frame's not bent. The dump body is just raised a little bit if that's what you're talking about. I think they have 5 new trucks there like the one you're looking at. What do you mean by double framed?

The IMT has a 42' boom? Did I read that right?

the imt booms are 30+ feet, but move slow.
Double wrapped frames are what the big rigs use. The frame on the day cab is double wrapped with steel. A FORD F-800 is of regular framed, but a
FORD LTL 9000 WILL BE A DOUBLE WRAPPED FRAME , SAME AS A MACK OR PETERBUILT.
THESE TRUCKS NORMALY ARE A STEP UP FROM THAT INT. 4900, THEY HAVE A AVERAGE OF 400 HORSPOWER MOTORS AND 8LL,10 OR 16 & 18 SPEED TRANNY'S. THIS IS WHAT IS REALLY NEEDED FOR HAULING 3K-5K BOARD FEET OF TIMBER. I LOOKED AT A OLDER 1988 FORD LTL 9000 THAT WAS PURCHASED AS A LOGGING TRUCK FROM THE FACTORY. IT WAS DOUBLE WRAPPED FRAME AND HAD A LOT OF STOCK BIEFFIER FRAME PARTS. I WAS VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE WAY THE TRUCK WAS BUILT. IT HAS A PRENTICE 120C EXTEN A BOOM ON IT THAT IS GOOD CONDITION, NEEDS A PIN AND SOME HOSES. THIS TRUCK HAS A INLINE 6 HP IS 400 AND A 8LL TRANNY. UNFORTUNATELY, IT IS NOT ROAD READY AS I WAS TOLD. IF IT WAS UP TO SPEC AND IN READY TO GO CONDITION AS STATED TO ME AND IN THE ADD, I WOULD HAVE PURCHASED IT ON THE SPOT. I NEED A MIN. OF A HEAVY DUTY DOUBLE WRAPPED FRAME RIG. I WOULD LIKE A heavy DUTY TRUCK BUILT FOR LOGGING FROM THE FACTORY, BUT THAT IS HARD TO COME BY. IF THAT SELLER (LTL) WOULD GO DOWN 10 GRAND IN PRICE, I WOULD BUY IT AND INVEST ANOTHER 15K INTO IT, BUT HE IS FIRM IN PRICE AND IT IS WAY TO MUCH FOR A TRUCK THAT OLD IN THAT CONDITION. HE DOES HAVE A 120C THAT WAS PURCHASED NEW IN 1999. I AM GOING MON. TO LOOK AT A 1999 TRUCK THAT SHOULD BE HEAVY DUTY ENOUGH, BUT IT IS EXPENSIVE AND NOT A FACTORY LOGGING TRUCK, THE FRAME SHOULD BE DOUBLE WRAPPED THOUGH.

Back