Logger needs advice from arborist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i sometimes sit out far enough i can lock my ankles under the limb behind me

Isn't that hard on the giblets? :laugh:

Well, the weather man is calling for rain late tonight into tomorrow morning. The LO called and said the ground gets "really soft" and wants to wait until next week. Unfortunately there is no way to get the logs out without driving the truck into the grass or skidding the logs to the truck. Either way would make a big mess on soft ground, sooooo...to be continued.

Another perspective

First off, Serial I am glad you have that ability to "fast forward" and predict what is about to happen before you put things in motion. That is why you need to remove this 16" limb, you have determined it will be trouble. Have you "fast forwarded" the cutting of just the limb? IF, that limb grows out horizontal (parallel to the ground) for a bit, and then curves gently upward for a looooong way which would be very typical of walnut, the tendency will be for the butt to jump back up into the tree quickly as the weight of the tip pulls down like a teeter totter. This happens quicker than you can swing out of the way. It is even faster yet if you are not expecting, (but seems like slow motion).

Since it seems you are determined to go ahead with this alone, and taking in sections implies even more advanced aerial work, you might just treat it as you would a heavy headleaner that you are trying to fell off at a 45. With a very wide notch, and thick hinge wood you can make that limb just sweep sideways to the ground and not even break the hingewood. Then just walk out and whittle from the tip back. Should have a large enough diameter to plunge that back cut and finish with the tensioned strap, so the thing does not barber and split into the log anyway.

GOOD LUCK and GODSPEED

not even break the hingewood. Then just walk out and whittle from the tip back.

That's good stuff, things I would not have even considered in my lack of aerial experience. I'll have to keep that in mind when I go back to complete the job. Having not thought about that as an option before, I'll have to reevaluate the limb before I cut it. I cant say without having the tree right in front of me, but that might be a good safe option. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

Or just call my brother. He lives down your way. It suck to pick up body parts. Your own off the ground. Be safe.

Well gang, between the pattern of rainy days and scheduling conflicts I still haven't been able to do it yet. Just spoke with the LO and he wants to be there when I do it. He isn't available this week and I was hoping to get it done Thurs or Fri. Next week is a no-go because of rain Mon and Tues and then its Turkey Day. Hopefully the following week will be dry. Stay subscribed to the thread, I'll post when I have more. :eek:uttahere2:

:)
if you climb it and sit on the limb like i talked about, yeah, watch your junk
i dont sit on them near as often as i used to ;)

Latest posts

Back