Logging a State Park -- Loggers in the News.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gologit

Gologit

Completely retired...life is good.
. AS Supporting Member.
Where are the protesters? They should be chained to the trees by now.

They're probably down at the courthouse filing an injunction. All that "chaining yourself to a tree" stuff is so messy and time consuming, ya know. So 90's. You can't have a latte' when you want it and there's always the possibility of actually getting dirty. There's bugs.
And they might be forced to interact with those scruffy logger people. Ugh.

Joe46

Joe46

ArboristSite Guru
Well I know Dave Bekkevar. I really hope they don't f with him. He's a good man and and a good logger. Having said that if they do they may regret having done so:msp_wink:

madhatte

madhatte

It's The Water
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Laminated Root Rot is one of the major problems we're dealing with right now. It's endemic to forests of a certain age -- say, 50-130 years old -- and will usually result in a resistant residual stand... over time. It's common knowledge among loggers that you have to get 'em down before the disease takes 'em down regardless. I was working on one study a couple of years ago GPSing stump locations of individual trees immediately after harvest; the crew was still skidding as I worked. Bullbuck asked me, "Why'd you guys let 'em stand so long and get this bad?" It was a valid question. Fact is, Douglas-Fir and LRR co-evolved and are very much dependent on each other. In moist forests that are unlikely to see fire, LRR (with a bit of cooperation from the wind) is one of the critical disturbance agents that allows a single-aged stand to become a many-aged stand, or "Old Growth". It's totally incompatible with the idea of "trees as a crop", however, which is why it's such a major issue in second- and third-growth forests. None of this is news to anybody who has worked in these woods, but the public seldom gets any insight into these issues until they see a clear-cut.

Gologit

Gologit

Completely retired...life is good.
. AS Supporting Member.
Well I know Dave Bekkevar. I really hope they don't f with him. He's a good man and and a good logger. Having said that if they do they may regret having done so:msp_wink:

Yup. Sometimes you almost wish that they would mess with you. Face to face, right up front. Instead, they hide behind their lawyers.