Logging ranked as second most dangerous profession

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guido Salvage

Supreme Saw Whoreder
Reaction score
There was an article in the New York Times that ranked logging second behind fishing as the most deadly occupation in America. Fishing had 200 fatalities per 100,000 workers while logging had 61.8. The chart below shows what the most deadly professions are.

economix-20workerfatalities-custom1.jpg

Most frequent work injuries.

economix-20workerfatalities-custom2.jpg

You can read the full article here:

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/20/the-most-dangerous-jobs-in-america/?partner=rss&emc=rss

Last edited:
So two of my jobs are in the top four? :cry:

I'm screwed!

Seriously though, a man really has to watch himself at all times on the farm and while sawing. Anything can happen at anytime.

As many times as I've been in harms way, I can't imagine fishing being so much worse. Must be really rough out there. But they do make the big bucks.

...and of course the Military isn't considered a "profession"...It’s just the Military.

For while, flight deck operations and underwater welding were the most dangerous...was this article about "civilian" jobs?

I always thought the bush was the safest place to be? Depends upon who you're working with and the circumstances.
That's why I work alone.
There's no glory in dieing on the freeway! Lol
Gypo

a couple of comments:
1)i dont like subdividing professions... roofers, steel workers and construction labourers are all construction men.... me, when im running a site, i dont care if a roofer or a pipe fitter gets hurt...
2)list is only based on 2009 stats... a truer refelection would be a running average over a few years.... afet 9/11 i expect that officer workers would have had the highest fatality rate is done annually..
3)i think the president should get top spot....

dave

a couple of comments:
1)i dont like subdividing professions... roofers, steel workers and construction labourers are all construction men.... me, when im running a site, i dont care if a roofer or a pipe fitter gets hurt...
2)list is only based on 2009 stats... a truer refelection would be a running average over a few years.... afet 9/11 i expect that officer workers would have had the highest fatality rate is done annually..
3)i think the president should get top spot....

dave

the article says it's based from 1992-2009 not just 2009. unless i'm misunderstanding something. my bad i caught my mistake. please resume your regularly scheduled programming...

For while, flight deck operations and underwater welding were the most dangerous...was this article about "civilian" jobs?

Of course it is. But logging is not as crazy as it used to be. They try to look out for everybody. Including the forester. :)
Down in the brush.
attachment.php

Gravity is not always a friend. I was peeking out from behind the yarder.
attachment.php

Sometimes things just go bad. The driver was OK, he just didn't know how deep it was? After the water went down the load was delivered to the mill by tow truck assist.
attachment.php

Every day is a picanick in the woods--A soggy lunch spot on a soggy day.
attachment.php

Everybody is trying to make things go safely. When logging gets boring, it is a good day.

Last edited:
Of course it is. But logging is not as crazy as it used to be. They try to look out for everybody. Including the forester. :)
Down in the brush.
attachment.php

Gravity is not always a friend. I was peeking out from behind the yarder.
attachment.php

Sometimes things just go bad. The driver was OK, he just didn't know how deep it was? After the water went down the load was delivered to the mill by tow truck assist.
attachment.php

Every day is a picanick in the woods--A soggy lunch spot on a soggy day.
attachment.php

Everybody is trying to make things go safely. When logging gets boring, it is a good day.

I hope that log truck driver shut his engine off before it hydrolocked the engine :cry:

the article says it's based from 1992-2009 not just 2009. unless i'm misunderstanding something. my bad i caught my mistake. please resume your regularly scheduled programming...

the injury events are based on 1992-2009 stats and the most dangerous occupations are based on preliminary 2009 data only... infact the listed occupations are selected, not necessarily the most dangerous....

the point of my previous post is that if you subdivide fishing into onshore, offshore and say arctic fishing then the death rate is lowered.... similarly if you subdivide logging tasks into fallers, landing men and equipment operators.... why divide construction workers?

the injury events are based on 1992-2009 stats and the most dangerous occupations are based on preliminary 2009 data only... infact the listed occupations are selected, not necessarily the most dangerous....

the point of my previous post is that if you subdivide fishing into onshore, offshore and say arctic fishing then the death rate is lowered.... similarly if you subdivide logging tasks into fallers, landing men and equipment operators.... why divide construction workers?

I don'y know why they divided certain job. But it does'nt really matter, they're all dangerous. I guess they could have divided farming into working cattle and planting tomatoes too.

Just want to know, do you want your job to be ranked higher or something?:confused: You can sub-divide logging however you want and it's still dangerous. I wish my job (farming) was'nt so dangerous. I was born into it or a prolly would'nt even do it.

Last edited:
A farmer logging his own land. Might as well paint the ace of spades on him!

It always amazes me what my farming buds will do. I've worked on a lot of construction sites and in fab shops so I have been forced to take way too many "safety" classes but it obviously paid off. Some of the stuff I see makes me cringe ; like standing in a front end loader bucket that has bale spikes attached to cut down a leaning barberchaired blowdown using a 30cc poulan one handed while smokin a cig. And an eight year old workin the tractor controls :)

A farmer logging his own land. Might as well paint the ace of spades on him!

It always amazes me what my farming buds will do. I've worked on a lot of construction sites and in fab shops so I have been forced to take way too many "safety" classes but it obviously paid off. Some of the stuff I see makes me cringe ; like standing in a front end loader bucket that has bale spikes attached to cut down a leaning barberchaired blowdown using a 30cc poulan one handed while smokin a cig. And an eight year old workin the tractor controls :)

wahhhhaaaaa!!!!!!

Ya' gotta teach the kids some way.
How else are they gonna learn?

I don'y know why they divided certain job. But it does'nt really matter, they're all dangerous. I guess they could have divided farming into working cattle and planting tomatoes too.

Just want to know, do you want your job to be ranked higher or something?:confused: You can sub-divide logging however you want and it's still dangerous. I wish my job (farming) was'nt so dangerous. I was born into it or a prolly would'nt even do it.

thats pretty dumb comments, but you do make a good point in that farming should have been subdivided into livestock and crop farming(difficult to do because most farmers probably do both, but each has it own inherent risks)....

its a question of how the data is being analyzed,and assessing the most dangerous jobs, why and how certain jobs are being subdivided is very important to the presentation of the data, for example, its not fair to include the office workers of a mining company in the occupations injury data base for underground miners, nor is it fair to consider a homicide in the work place by a disgruntled employee a occupation death unless the incident was directly caused by occupational risk/disease/hazards(as in being pissed off/ridiculed by coworkers doesnt count)..... i find it hard to believe that legimate work place homicides cause a comparable number of deaths as falls or struck by objects...

however, statistics can be made to imply any fact the author wants to stress, there isnt enough information provided here to assess this article fairly....

the guy above that asked if only civilian jobs were being considered also poses a very good point that questions the validity of the article.....

to demonstrate my point, the attached table(page 3 of report) show total deaths and relative ranking....

agriculture, fishing, forestry and hunting as 26.0, mining as 12.7, transportation and warehousing as 12.1, and construction as 9.7, all other were below 5/100000 full time jobs.... i dont see the community of interest in hunting with farming and forestry, nor should transportation be lumpd with warehousing even though there is a relationship.... finally, for the tables presented by the op, mining wasnt on either....

however, statistics can be made to imply any fact the author wants to stress, there isnt enough information provided here to assess this article fairly....

...there is a study somewhere about how something like 90-95% of statistics are made up on the spot...

Latest posts

Back