logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello RodarAma,

First I would like to welcome you to the Board you'll find alot of good info and people here to discuss stuff with.Now as far as the safety programs I usually pay roughly 100.00 a program I take a few each year like

1.The Fundementals Of Forestry
2.Timber Harvesting Laws
3.Precision Felling Tech
4.C.P.R and First Aid
5.Scaling and Grading

These are all required to get certification here in NH except for the Grading and Scaling program.

Oh yeah by the way nice logs :D

later Rob..

Can't remember, once a year thing. All i took was precision felling. taught by the guy i worked for.

what saw you run? 66?

We have more stuff than i can remember, but heres some; BMP, CPR certifide, precision falling, defensive driving, hydrolic safty, sustainable forestry practices, theres more but i'd have to dig out all my certificates, most of the stuff don't even pertain to me but they say you got to go if you want to work, but at least we don't have to pay for them, well i guess we do cause most of the time we have to miss a days work to go to the classes.

I would like to thank you for your replies. :) But I wasn't thinking of the government safety programs, more along the line of personal safety programs such as what the company itself has to come up with. (a written procedures).

The reason I'm asking is that besides being a logger I have been setting up personalized safety programs for different outfits.

Here in BC Workman Compensation Board requires that we have a personal safety program on our jobs. Is this the same in your areas?

Last edited:
My company does'nt do any written testing monthly/yearly etc.I only have one other employee as of right now,so I let them know that they must go and take the state exams as I listed above before I put them to work,the courses I listed are only volntary they are not required by law it's a safety issue makes sure that they know more than just your local Joe Home Owner.It's a very good course to use I think and alot of the other companies here do the same after that.

Then I usually have them join a few associations like the NHTOA,and the NELA and a few others that usually have a monthly saftey meeting and I encourage them to go and most of the time they will.I feel like whem my company starts to grow more I will start to do the written saftey program's but for now I believe this is a good start...

later Rob..

Thanks for the reply Rob

The outfit I'm working for J.M.G. Logging is broken up into differnt crews and we are not always on the same job-site.
Some times having to hire temporary workers for some of our work. Because of this and, even though some of us have been in the bush work many years we don't remember everything.
And when an accident happens on the job, not knowing or remembering what to do or who to call, may slow down getting help for those hurt.
This happend on one of our jobs when a high-lead tower fell over the cab and pinned a man inside. It took an hour before we were able to get a rescue team there which isn't that bad, but it could have been sooner if we had on the job-site, a written emergency proceedure on what to do and who to contact.
(The worker did make it out, he had two broken legs and lost one foot)

So I came up with a 'on-site emergency procedure program' that each of our crews have handy in the crew truck or machine.

If you want to know more let me know.

Later Ron.

reply for Jim

The saw I'm running is a 46 Plus, with a 30" bar.
We do use the 66 as well, but I find for the varity of trees we're in the 46 is a great alround saw.

All these classes we go to are manatory, go or don't work, the company puts these on, we have to go thru emergency procedures as well, osha is making spot checks on everybody here, so we have to be up their rules too, its all still pretty much a pain in the butt though.

Ron, Welcome to AS!! Nice to have a fellow BC'er here. I spent quite a bit of time in PR. Arboristsite is a great place for info on anything and everything, including logging. I think most of the guys on here are professional arborists or casual users. Not too many full time loggers such as yourself or Rob, Gypo, and a few others I cant think of right now.

Hi Rod , We've been involved in heavy logging for 20 years but your picture puzzles me slightly, whats that second handle on your saw for? or is it a handle?......never seen that before..Jock

hehe...another one that hasnt seen the west coast wrap...man, I have a hard time selling a saw unless it has one....I had one old faller (now 67) come in to buy a 40cc saw, but wouldnt buy it unless it had a full wrap???? So I went to the welders and we built him one...lol..he was happy...paid the bill and went home...

Hi Rod , whats a wrap???? guess i'm a bit thick.....duh!! and what fuc.... use is it ?.....for left handed users? put me out of my misery...please ..Jock

Latest posts

Back