Logs value??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontario026

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My brother-in-law had a logger in who cleared some property for them about 2 years ago and there were a dozen or so 2 logs left lying on the ground at the edge of the adjacent field. I'm not good with my tree ID'ing especially just from the bark, but I am pretty sure that most are softwood, with a few looking to me to be hardwood. My question is: The logs are abandoned, the logger is not coming back for them, my brother in law and the logger had a disagreement and he won't be back, that was at least 2 years ago, I am interested in the logs for firewood, but my B-I-L was suggesting that there may be some value in the logs for something other than firewood??? I know the logs have been on the ground for 2+ yrs in the canadian climate, the ends do not appear to have been painted/sealed after they were cut, the logs probably vary from 12 feet to 16 feet long or so, and probably averaging around 14-16" in diameter from what I remember....

I will try to snap a few pics in the next few days, but in general would a mix of hard and softwood logs that have laid on the ground for 2 yrs or so without sealed ends be good for anything other than firewood??

Thanks

2 years on the ground?

Sounds like a habitat to me for rot.

Doubt they would make good firewood, but they may. Cant see 2 YO logs bein any good.

Unless they're cedar. They may be weathered, but if it's cedar, it'd still be usable. A buddy of mine uses wood from old cedar stumps that are left behind from logging for woodworking. These things have been there for decades, and they're weathered, and look like crap on the outside, but the wood inside is beautiful.

Jeff

Two years once cut is a long time for wood to be saleable as sawtimber. Take a look at the bark, are there any exit holes from beetles? Peel the bark back. This is common in softwoods (conifers). In hardwoods you will probably find blue or brown stain on the log ends which indicates that the wood is degraded and not saleable. Firewood is probably all you can sell it for. Calling a forester or wood buyer in your area is your best bet for an answer.

Here's a few pics!

I took a few pics of the logs in question:

Take a peek here in my Yahoo photos album

Do you think it's worth investigating the saw worthyness of these logs? Or are they probably pretty much worthless for anything other than providing me with a few BTU's this upcoming winter??

Can anyone give a guess to the kinds of wood there??

Thanks

Try and see what you can get out of them for firewood. None of them look particularly big or straight. If you called me out to look at your "logs" I'd be pretty pissed for wasting my time. They won't even pay the trucking based on those pictures. I wouldn't come and pick them up even for firewood as a commercial business decision. I guess there is a good reason why the logger didn't come back, he was pretty much done and left the junk.

Back