Long term storage brand new Husqvarna

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweden

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a new saw only to be put on display. Crazy I know...

Do I need to prepare a new saw in any way for long term storage? Some say the saws are oiled and prepared at the Husqvarna factory for storage and it's best to leave it alone. Some say to put a teaspoon of two stroke oil in the cylinder.

What about carburetor? Rubber parts?

Storage is hard on things if it is long term. Has it been gassed up and ran AT ALL?

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Storage is hard on things if it is long term. Has it been gassed up and ran AT ALL?

Not at the dealer or by me. I don't know if they testrun all saws at Husqvarna factory. It's a 3120xp. I've heard the 3120xp was handbuilt by one person at the factory. Only when they got a large order they involved other workers.

Not at the dealer or by me. I don't know if they testrun all saws at Husqvarna factory. It's a 3120xp. I've heard the 3120xp was handbuilt by one person at the factory. Only when they got a large order they involved other workers.

Id put a cap full of 2 stroke oil down the spark plug hole. Give if a few pulls. And put it on the shelf.

Don’t fuel it up and run it.

This, with a non synthetic oil.

Good point![emoji1303]

I can see The esters in a true synthetic causing trouble if it sits in their for year not being run.

JMO,

Id keep the carb dry as possible. So as SVK said... spray it THROUGH the carb.

I bought a new saw only to be put on display. Crazy I know...

Do I need to prepare a new saw in any way for long term storage? Some say the saws are oiled and prepared at the Husqvarna factory for storage and it's best to leave it alone. Some say to put a teaspoon of two stroke oil in the cylinder.

What about carburetor? Rubber parts?
How long term is long term?
If it's going into a permanent collection/Display.... what difference does it make?
Not meaning to be a smartarse just not sure why it would matter.
Tool vs display sort of thing?
I have an old Wright saw on display. If anyone asks me .... it runs because it might (How would I know without firing it up).

Chainsaw Existentialism :D

How long term is long term?
If it's going into a permanent collection/Display.... what difference does it make?
Not meaning to be a smartarse just not sure why it would matter.
Tool vs display sort of thing?
I have an old Wright saw on display. If anyone asks me .... it runs because it might (How would I know without firing it up).

Chainsaw Existentialism :D

It will be a long time before I have any trees big enough to justify starting the saw :)

It will be a long time before I have any trees big enough to justify starting the saw :)
Ah ok... So it is destined for service rather than a collection/display.

I run a 3120 in a mill.
When I look at it... It's difficult to imagine resting will harm it.
When I ran Outboards in the summer and stored for winter (for 4 months running 8 months sitting), We used a canned storage foam.
Run the engine ,..blow it in through carb(s) and then shut down....
It seemed to work great... Engines always emerged fresh and ready.
I wonder if there is a Saw "version" of this.

Don't mean to hijack the thread or anything, but what about short term storage? I have a 288XP I don't plan on running much in the foreseeable future since I bought a 395. It's a great saw and I'd love to hang on to it, just don't want it to rot on the shelf. Is the fuel in a can stable enough for say, 6 months, of not running?

Don't mean to hijack the thread or anything, but what about short term storage? I have a 288XP I don't plan on running much in the foreseeable future since I bought a 395. It's a great saw and I'd love to hang on to it, just don't want it to rot on the shelf. Is the fuel in a can stable enough for say, 6 months, of not running?
yes

If this was MY saw, I would do the following:

1. Remove the spark plug
2. Squirt some fogging oil through the carburetor (with the straw)
3. Several pulls on the starter rope
4. Squirt some fogging oil through the spark plug hole
5. Several pulls on the starter rope
6. Replace spark plug - hand tight only
7. Repeat the above procedure every year

JQ

If this was MY saw, I would do the following:

1. Remove the spark plug
2. Squirt some fogging oil through the carburetor (with the straw)
3. Several pulls on the starter rope
4. Squirt some fogging oil through the spark plug hole
5. Several pulls on the starter rope
6. Replace spark plug - hand tight only
7. Repeat the above procedure every year

JQ

Thanks for the detailed response.

Back