Long way to the top......unless you have a 50 tonne crane!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You all trounced another one, mate. Good operating.

So was the thing about that Euc was that it was too dead to take down without a crane, or is it just as cheap/cheaper to use the crane? As a matter of fact, what is the cost to you for a shot with a crane like that "down under???" I don't bet that that took more than 4 hours for the crane to finish. I think I read somewhere from Jersey or round about that way that 4 hours of crane work runs about $600.

That Dingo... I need one. When I get one, I'm going to cut the sides off of the bucket so it can grapple longer logs. I wonder if I can get somebody to "optimize" the motor.

Ha, Great vid! Nice picks. I guess your not allowed to ride the ball there? The crane service I use won't allow it either.

Love ACDC! Long Way To The Top is one of my favorites!

Ha, Great vid! Nice picks. I guess your not allowed to ride the ball there? The crane service I use won't allow it either.

Love ACDC! Long Way To The Top is one of my favorites!

I was thinking that it still looked like a long way to the top myself. Lol.

Nice job and vid man! :cheers:

yah dude! great effort.

sucks you can't get a free ride man. thought you were going to take a bunch of small pics? nice having a bigger crane on the scene thats for sure.

what kinda choker system is that btw? was that a master link with a chain free running through it?

What's nice is when you can pull right up next to them with the crane like that. You can get some serious weight when you don't have to extend very much.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated.

In no particular order the answers are:

This was done on a Sunday as the bakery has 150 employees all over the place every other day. Weekends means a minimum 4 hour hire on a 50 tonne which is $1k.

No I cant ride the hook. :cry:

Double 10mm link chain to a master link rated for 8 tonne vertical lift per leg.

Crane was to avoid bitumen damge and speed up work.

The crane op said, "I can take it all in one go" I said "I am paying for 4 hours regardless so let me practise a few picks".

One day OD I will get around to doing a timed exposure film like yours but when on site with this one we realised the angle and light were not going to help so video it was.

Got another video ready for editing but I have lost the cable. Arghhhh! Soon maybe....

most companies here wont let your ride the ball either but last year we picked up our own elliot with 165 of stick and i have him put me in the tree everytime we use it. makes it really easy on those wide spanning tress when you can just clip into the ball and move from lead to lead without spiking down.

then i dont have to try to whip a 15 foot lanyard around or use them friggin throw bags man i suck with a throw bag im more likely to hurt myself with a throwbag than anything. i usually get it where i want it but alot of swearing and untangling the line goes along with it. i been meaning to try the big shot.

you make good video's man i wish i had someone that could shoot half decent video.

Last edited:
most companies here wont let your ride the ball either but last year we picked up our own elliot with 165 of stick and i have him put me in the tree everytime we use it. makes it really easy on those wide spanning tress when you can just clip into the ball and move from lead to lead without spiking down.

then i dont have to try to whip a 15 foot lanyard around or use them friggin throw bags man i suck with a throw bag im more likely to hurt myself with a throwbag than anything. i usually get it where i want it but alot of swearing and untangling the line goes along with it. i been meaning to try the big shot.

you make good video's man i wish i had someone that could shoot half decent video.

A big shot will really increase your accuracy with the throw bag and save you time setting lines. I find mine invaluable. I have recently started using a 16 0z bag with the big shot and I find I am even more accurate with it than I am with the 12 oz (which I have used for ever). No problem to get through a little brush with the 16 Oz and it doesn't go to the moon when you shoot it. I shoot a line on any throw over 30-40 feet now to save time.

Latest posts

Back