What are you part-timers running for equipment?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arbor pro

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been doing tree work for 20 or so years now. I'm a certified arborist and an accredited landscape architect. For the sake of this post, I just want to clarify that I'm not a weekend warrior or hack. I know what I'm doing when it comes to the care of trees.

At one time, I was full-time and had all the equipment I could ever want or need to do a job right - buckets, chippers, loaders, etc, etc. I also had a lot of employees to keep that equipment busy. At heart, I'm an equipment junkie and just love to analyze and re-analyze the efficiency of my work and think about how I can do things better while utilizing equipment.

For a number of reasons but, primarily due to the seasonality of tree work in my neck of the woods, I now do tree work only part-time and only for about 7 months of the year. (I have a very good full-time office job now and, although I'd rather be doing tree work full-time, this is the best scenario for my family so, I don't ever anticipate going back into things full-time).

My currently do tree work about 15-20 hours a week on evenings and weekends and work alone. I don't usually like to do aerial work alone without a ground guy but, have found that my current work schedule doesn't accomodate hiring on a helper so, I'm going to continue working alone.

I current equipment inventory includes a one-ton truck with 12' dump bed, a 14' dump trailer, a 14' car trailer on which I haul an mt-50 mini loader and a sc252 stump grinder, a 665a stump grinder and lots and lots of chainsaws, pole saws, ladders, rigging gear and climbing gear.

Overall, it's not a bad setup. However, I miss the bucket truck and chipper that I sold a couple of years ago to try and simplify things and have less equipment to maintain. I'm a family man with kids. When I'm not at my full-time job or doing tree work, I would prefer to spend time playing with my kids versus maintaining equipment.

That said, I realize that, if you're going to have equipment, it has to be maintained. I'm considering buying a towable boom (50-60' ht would be fine) and maybe a small chipper (6-12") just to handle the stringy brush from pruning that doesn't stack well in the truck or trailer. I've considered a small forestry truck with front-mount boom and chip box but, I really don't want to license, insure and maintain another roadway vehicle. My mini loader and dump truck or dump trailer work fine for the cleanup of removals but I have to pay around $18/ton for disposal fees at our landfill. I have a landowner who will take wood chips for free.

I really want to get a lift -whether it be a truck or towable. My knees just aren't as good as they used to be and, around here, a lift can get into most places so climbing is seldom necessary. I just keep going back and forth as to what equipment setup is going to be the most efficient and least maintenance for my type of operation.

I should also mention that, in my area, I need to do a little bit of everything in order to find enough work to stay busy. I tried scaling down to just pruning and stump grinding but am not finding enough work. I need to do removals also. Obviously, I cannot do the really big, difficult removals that require rigging and craning but, I could still do a number of 'piece-down' removals if I had a lift.

I know there must be other guys in my same position pondering the same questions so, I'm wondering what you run and how well it works for you?

Arborpro, I just downsized my equipment do to the competition factor, I didnt want to but to keep everything running wasnt worth the extra cost when some hack beats you out over a measley $25-$50 bucks.

I currently am running 1- ton dump, bandit 90xp, genie tmz 50/30 pulled by a f-250 4x4 with winch, also have john deere crawler and a international front loader/backhoe.

this set up does me very well!! I wish I could of kept my toys but hey!! reinvent yourself & maintain your professionalism.

It was the toys or the men!! I`ll keep my men!! were still doing just as much work I dont take on the huge removals anymore & to be honest the smaller jobs pay better!!

LXT................

truck or towable and what is the best low-maint chipper?

lxt,

I have read your and other posts on towables and spider lifts so, I don't intend for this thread to focus solely on those; however, I am interested in knowing why you and others might feel that a towable or small spider lift would be a better choice for a part-time or small tree service over a bucket truck?

Knowing that maintenance is a big factor for me, I'm wondering if the towables like your genie 50/30 are overall cheaper to operate and more profitable for a part-time service than a bucket truck? I'm thinking so...who disagrees?

As the sole person working for my company, is the equipment setup I'm running (plus maybe a towable boom) the best setup I can expect or should I consider the small forestry unit with a chipper? I wish that after 20 years of business, I could decide once and for all and quit selling/buying equipment. Every time I buy more equipment, I later regret the added maintenance that comes with it. So, ultimately, I end up downsizing. Then, I'm right back where I started - wanting to buy more equipment.

Gaaahhh!!!

Last edited:
No I wouldnt turn it into a lift shoot out thread been there done that!!

I got mine for these reasons hopefully this helps:
1-no registration in PA
2-no inspection/emmisions
3-less fuel operation costs(much less,I owned a b.truck)
4-if you dont need it, leave it!! to have to drive the bucket to the job that doesnt need it is senseless IMHO
5-dont have to worry about CDL, I have a CDL but try hiring someone with it let alone letting them drive it(dropped driveshafts)
6-access issues, not to mention the other work lines to use it for, window cleaning, booming up shingles to a roof, set windows, etc...

Even though you may not need it for these things someone may want you to do it for their biz, I have a guy with a sign biz bites off more than he can chew hires me for help(pays good), another buddy in construction uses my lift for setting windows, trusses, etc... it all pays!! my lift has the material hook & I just had a set of forks made for it, it will make you $$$

these are things I like, it works for me & has done well!!

goodluck.

LXT............

My gear

I have an 1990 buick roadmaster station wagon that works great in the tree buss. I find that i can prop a 32ft. ladder on the top of the buick and lean it into the tree. Works great but gets a little tricky extending the ladder when the roof is all iced over but i try to be carefull. A word of wisdom to all you novices out there...SAFETY FIRST! I removed all but the front seats and use all the space to load brush and logs. I try to save money on dump fees by locating a lonely road close to the jobsite to dump after i get the check. I don't feel guilty about dumping because i know all is biodegradable. Guess you could say i am environmentally friendly. Well i could go on and on about my other equipment but i don't want to boast.

I have an 1990 buick roadmaster station wagon that works great in the tree buss. I find that i can prop a 32ft. ladder on the top of the buick and lean it into the tree. Works great but gets a little tricky extending the ladder when the roof is all iced over but i try to be carefull. A word of wisdom to all you novices out there...SAFETY FIRST! I removed all but the front seats and use all the space to load brush and logs. I try to save money on dump fees by locating a lonely road close to the jobsite to dump after i get the check. I don't feel guilty about dumping because i know all is biodegradable. Guess you could say i am environmentally friendly. Well i could go on and on about my other equipment but i don't want to boast.

Haha.

Well it sounds like you have your self quite a set up there.

Not changing the subject but the other one you know your a hack when......

Just Kidding.

LXT...

I just looked up the Genie 50/30..

have a few questions for you though...

but first want to say it looks awesome and a great boom.

How much did you pay for yours (if you dont mind me asking)?

How much do they weigh?

Thanks LXT

Other wise looks like a awesome set up espicially for the smaller company.

With my p/t business, I'm running a bandit 65xl and pulling it with a 2000 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4. I'm fortunate enough to be able to blow all the chips into the woods at most of the places where I work. For city jobs I pile the brush onto a snowmobile trailer and bigger jobs in the city I'll have a rental roll-off bin delivered and chip into that.

I can park my truck in my driveway at home (subdivision) and the chipper will fit into my garage.

I keep my overhead low (yes I have tree specific insurance). I mainly do removals and most (if not all) I climb. If I had to use a lift I would most likely rent one. For the odd time I could get it into my work area, I could not justify the cost or the difficulty in storing it.

Every one has a different story/perspective, but right now this works for me.

I just do weekend work. All of my equipment is bought and paid for. This is an easy way for me to keep prices down.

3-dump trailers
JD 260 Skid steer (tooth and smooth bucket,grapple,forks,and breaker)
Gravely Pro Chip 495 (12inch chipper)
couple flatbed trailers
1-ton Dodge diesel with chip box

It's a decent setup. It works for me.

Scott

My equipment might not be the newest stuff out there, but like STLfirewood said, it's bought and paid for, and it looks good and is in good shape. I have an '83 GMC (C60 or C70, not sure) with a 9 ft. dump, a 12" chipmoore, New Holland TZ25DA, a B21, and a 16' trailer.

I work part time for a freind who has a towable bucket that just sips gas with the lil Honda motor. Makes since, less legal expense etc.. His goes something between 42 and 48 ft. He often says he wished he had another 10 to 15 feet for the big trees.

I wish I could rent but...

I failed to mention when I started this thread that, I've tried to rent towable lifts in my area but have run into two snags:

1) Of the few rental places around, ony one will actually rent towable lifts out for tree work. Apparently, they've seen a lot of abuse by novice users (homeowners I presume looking to do the work themselves). They say that, even with a liablility agreement, it's not worth the risk of having the unit damaged by a chunk of tree and then be out of commission while awaiting repairs.

2) The one place that will rent a unit out for tree work knows that no other rental place will. Thus, he really charges for it. Also, it's an older piece of crap. He won't risk sending out a newer unit.

Unfortunately, while I'd prefer to rent a unit rather than buy one, renting is not really an economically-viable option for me.

Oh yeah, reason #3) The last time I decided to pay the inflated rental rate from the one guy who would rent a towable unit for tree work, he already had it rented out for the entire month. It's quite difficult to try to schedule my work around someone else's schedule!

Why not rent one from United or one of the big rental co's. They deliver to the site and you don't have the huge capital costs up front and no maintainance costs. Just bill to per the job, keeps the overhead way low. Does this sounds reasonable? Also crane rentals can be a good option for large tree removals and again you only pay for what you use.

Sorry just read your post above, so does that make crane rental an option?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back