Look - no trees!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big feller

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
If anyone needs a break from sawing I have just the place. Check out the pictures. Mile after mile of green grass and not a tree in sight.

Sheep were introduced into the Shetland Islands about 500 years ago and ate all new growth. Since then the old trees have gone. I found about quarter of an acre of trees in a fenced off area. Apart from a very few in walled off gardens that's it!

It's a strange place but has a great variety of wildlife - mainly seabirds but also otters, seals, orcas etc. Friendly locals too.

Big feller.

Last edited:
No machinery needed for grass cutting either - just add lambs and wait till they are big enough for the table.

The only down side is that you have to mind where you tread...

No Trees

Could this be where tatonka are suppose to flurish? (Buffalo) to the slower members of the group. Looks like some great hay country for cattle, deer. It is a great picture all in all.

kenskip1@verizo said:
Could this be where tatonka are suppose to flurish? (Buffalo) to the slower members of the group. Looks like some great hay country for cattle, deer. It is a great picture all in all.
I see someone watched Dances with Wolves.

Amazing...but I'd have to plant a tree, if nothing else for scale.

I'm so nearsighted from living in South Georgia expanses like that pull my eyeballs out of socket... at least the right eye...

Chaser

Shetland.... the only place that Mel Gibson's braveheart accent sounds authentic.

I have an auntie from Shetland, Lerwick I think.

Rotax Robert said:
No Trees?....thats because I was already there a few years back.

Rotax
that expalins the grass growin so good. its the sawdust on the ground fertilizing the grass.:laugh: :laugh:

Latest posts

Back