Makita Plunder & How to Price a Trade In Husky 365

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear ya. I just paid 1400 to have a upper cylinder repacked on a altec am755h I felt it was a bargain actually. ..

A little confused...

Did you vac test the saw itself or just the carb?

Yesterday I tested the crankcase with my tester, today while the carb was off I tested it in water/glycerin mix.

For the crankcase, my tester is based off one I saw a couple years back, basically I pressurize the crankcase up to 8psi and it has to hold steady, I then do a vacuum test rotating the crank very carefully. I've been told I should vac test first and then pressure test, but I learned to do it the other way around, and it hasn't failed me.

The gauge I use for the crank cases is a combination of a Holley vacuum gauge, Snap On vacuum lines from one of their testers, and a bulb off a blood pressure cuff. The one I use on the carbs is made by Stihl, it has the silver tube. I wish I had a Stihl that had the bulb.

The work your doing around here would bring thousands of dollars... lots of liability for a 365

To be able to work on several companies equipment, I am required to carry 1 million bond. I also am organized as an LLC, and the business carries additional insurance and an additional umbrella policy with it. Basically if a judgement goes over 2.5 million, I lose a block building built 1958 and 4 lathes, 2 surface grinders, 4 vertical mills, 2 horizontal mills, and my tooling. My farm is protected, my house is protected.

One local power company(more on them in a second) wanted me to carry a 5 million dollar bond, and they were the only one that wanted that. I politely told them if they wanted to pay for the extra million's worth on the bond they are welcome to. They flew mad, and now they get to pay a haul bill for a wrecker to drive 2.5 hours from Atlanta and then 2.5 miles back. Also, I know on good authority that the company that does their truck repairs and maintenance gets $135 and hour. I charged them about half that.

I hear ya. I just paid 1400 to have a upper cylinder repacked on a altec am755h I felt it was a bargain actually. ..

There are two businesses in my tri-state area that could afford to pay that and it not be something they sweated. One is the power company I mentioned above. They spend money like a drunken sailor on leave, and they raise rates on their customers 6 to 8 times a year.

The other is a multi-truck tree service run by a 25 year old boy. The boy received the tree service as a wedding gift from his father in law, and his father's wedding gift was a large scrap metal recycling business. Neither business has ever turned a profit, and just as the father and FIL felt they had to show their largess by making two large gifts, they have continually bailed both businesses out. In turn the 25 year old thinks that it is funny and cool and makes him a big shot to spend extravagantly. Ex: JD Track hoe breaks track at scrap yard. Repair cost: $12,000 on site with new tracks on both side and warranty. Screw that, this boy is a baller- he goes out and buys a new, off the lot, JCB with 11 hours on it. To run around in scrap metal and crush cars with.

There are other businesses that can pay $1400 to have a cylinder repacked, but they sweat it, and it places a strain on them for a while, and it in turn places a strain on the people who use their services.

One local power company(more on them in a second) wanted me to carry a 5 million dollar bond, and they were the only one that wanted that. I politely told them if they wanted to pay for the extra million's worth on the bond they are welcome to. They flew mad, and now they get to pay a haul bill for a wrecker to drive 2.5 hours from Atlanta and then 2.5 miles back. Also, I know on good authority that the company that does their truck repairs and maintenance gets $135 and hour. I charged them about half that.

I had to laugh about you and the power company, I ran mine off too. Other annoyances too but the final straw was that they were 90 days late paying on a 30 day net account and I had to waste an hour and a half going to their office and making them cut a check, not for the first time. I pointed out that they would have turned out my lights a couple months before. Told them I didn't expect to see them at my gate ever again! I did get a few more of their trucks at my gate, I sent them away.

Hu

No such thing as a 365 XP. But yes they are basically a pro series XP saw simply without the "XP" written on the saw. Maybe your friend was thinking of a 365 XT (X-torq) which are the newest 365 variant. Yours is an older one.

As far as people offering advice you can turn this easily into a 372 XP..... not true. Old school 365 and 372 have different piston and cylinders due to different displacements. A 365 XT can be turned into a 372 XP XT easily as they are both 71 cc. Only difference is the 365 XT is restricted to be less power than the bigger 372 model. I know cus i did it on mine. Air restriction in the transfers. Many threads explaining how to do it.

I would be putting my time into the Makita and doing a BB kit and MM. These are really underrated saws. As good as anything out of Germany or Sweden. When i bought my 7900 it was around $900 cheaper than either a 372XP or a MS460. As a bonus it's got much more power and is lighter than both. $900 buys a lot of fuel, bar oil and spare chains!! :)

The Makita has a big bore kit- it has a factory 7900 piston and cylinder on it now. It needs a piston, I'm waiting for a 54mm and it's ring pack to arrive any day now. I've also purchased a spare 84cc Cylinder and Piston for when I succumb to bad ideas.

7900's are not lighter than a 372. There is about 6oz different. The 460 is a little (ounce or three) heavier than a 460. A 7900 will stomp a mud puddle in a 372. A 7900 and a 460 are pretty much even.

The Makita has a big bore kit- it has a factory 7900 piston and cylinder on it now. It needs a piston, I'm waiting for a 54mm and it's ring pack to arrive any day now. I've also purchased a spare 84cc Cylinder and Piston for when I succumb to bad ideas.

The BB kit does not make more power than the 79cc top end and I have yet to see one that is nearly as nice as the OEM P/C.

7900's are not lighter than a 372. There is about 6oz different. The 460 is a little (ounce or three) heavier than a 460. A 7900 will stomp a mud puddle in a 372. A 7900 and a 460 are pretty much even.

My bad... Was thinking of the weights for a 461 and writing 460. All in all they are fairly close on weight but when you take into account the performance difference of the 7900 against the 372xp..... :chainsaw:

Bigv, what did you decide re trading your work for the saw?

I gotta give you credit for being willing to help a guy who jerked you around.

Latest posts

Back