Husky 365 special?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldbev

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My nephew gave me a 365 husky. I run Huskys he runs Stihls. The saw has 365 special on the recoil cover,high top air filter cover decompression on side of cyl. Black ID tag states 365 with no special afterwards. I believe this to be a 1999 saw as serial number line starts with 99 space than 7numbers. Oh, also chain adjustment is on the case like older saws. Question is could this be an older 365 special or a 365 with Special trim ? Thanx

Ok thanks I have a 365 x torque aka 372 that I have slightly modded. Understand that. But was under the impression that the earlier 365's came in 2 different packages ,straight 365 and the Special that had different cylinder?

The 365 special is a 65cc pre X-Torque saw. It’s the same form factor as a 372XP just smaller displacement. Not sure why they called it a “special” so I can’t comment on that.
The earliest 365's are 48mm open port, Special's are 48mm closed port, should be side mount tensioner, and if I remember came about right about the time the 371's case upgrades made it the 372.
The high top is not native to a 365, so there may have been some parts swapped around. If the intake has a hose style clamp on it is a closed port saw, if it has a bolted on clamp setup it's open port.

Thanks for the quick replies. And yes I have tried to read up on all the 365 posts and that's why my first post here is about differentiating between the 365 and the 365 special .Been a lurker for years and this has been my first problem l couldn't solve by research. So the plot thickens. Hose style clamp on intake ,walbro carb. But definitely chain adjustment out the front ,old style. Right side of cyl. Mahal ,left side 50 zn2 hope this adds to the confusion ha ha. Prob have to open it up to see if it's worth putting any time and money into.

Yea who knows,was a used saw when my nephew bought it from a local shop who took it in trade.Has led a rough life. The older I get the more I appreciate the older technology. Like taking in a stray dog . Have a soft spot for old Huskys it's how I made a living for years

The earliest 365's are 48mm open port, Special's are 48mm closed port, should be side mount tensioner, and if I remember came about right about the time the 371's case upgrades made it the 372.
The high top is not native to a 365, so there may have been some parts swapped around. If the intake has a hose style clamp on it is a closed port saw, if it has a bolted on clamp setup it's open port.
Ok so there were two versions. Only one I’ve ever seen is the special.

Saw the 48 on top of cyl. . Ink? Paint? And figured I needed to be looking for a cast number so am assuming a 48 mm
looks like you have a 48mm closed port cylinder which is better imho to make things easier take out the front tensioning screw and get a 365/372 chain cover with side tensioner and now you have a special.

Thanx for all the input. Surprised at all the replies on such an old saw
It was a great saw, it earned its keep in chainsaw history. I bought a 65cc 365 Special in 2010. Found an ad from George Kahler sales out of Rome, New York. I paid $500 for PHO with $20 shipping. I talked to a salesman on the phone, said they had a pallet of them, bet they didnt last long. Back then Baileys had an OEM upgrade HD air filter kit, i bought one that had everything needed to change it to a high top, very reasonably priced. Probably my favorite saw and the brand new price was right. Sometime after the 2010 time frame Husky introduced the x-torq models, IIRC.

My nephew gave me a 365 husky. I run Huskys he runs Stihls. The saw has 365 special on the recoil cover,high top air filter cover decompression on side of cyl. Black ID tag states 365 with no special afterwards. I believe this to be a 1999 saw as serial number line starts with 99 space than 7numbers. Oh, also chain adjustment is on the case like older saws. Question is could this be an older 365 special or a 365 with Special trim ? Thanx
Welcome to posting sir.
Those are great saws, really like them and the 372xp oe(original edition).
Stock 365 special (no grinding) with base gasket delete and a muffler mod.

Fully ported 365.

Am I right in my thinking that it is a 1999 year saw and where does that fit into the history of the 365
Yes, it is indeed a 1999 from that tag. 1999-11 is the first that the Special appears on the IPL, and the IPL denotes that the closed port cylinder belongs to the EPA version, while listing the open port on the non EPA. I know I have been in contact with guys in Australia that have specials with open port cylinders, so I think that it may have continued on for markets outside of North America.
That IPL shows all versions of the special as having the side mount tensioner, however the 99-04 IPL for the standard 365 shows the same two options for the cylinder, with the case mounted tensioner, it's also the first time the closed port cylinder shows up. So, someone may have swapped the recoil, or the side cover and the tensioner.

Some very good insight here for you OP. I think its enough to piece together a history for your saw... which is a fun activity to do! :)

My -very limited- experience & exposure with the 365/365SP/371/372 family is to expect any and every mix of part could be on any individual saw. Anything to keep them running/making money for the logger as it were.

The "372xp" that I bought actually was kinda bastardized, and not in a great way. Turned out it had the entire intake system including piston from a old open-port 365. It also had a 371xp top cover. Me the fool not looking at it closely enough to verify proper 372 parts, so it's unfortunately cost me quite a bit extra in order to spec the saw back to a 372XP :mad: ... live & learn I suppose

Latest posts

Back