Looked at Husky's tonight......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indiana John

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After checking out the Echo line-up at the dealer this afternoon, against my better judgement I decided to stop into the Rural King tonight and check out their Husky's. As I expected there was no one there that had any knowledge of the saws to answer any questions I had unlike at the Echo dealer. They only had three saws in the size range I'm interested in. They had the 350 with the 18" bar for $340, the "Rancher" 455 with a 20" for $380, and the 359 with a 24" for $420. I was a bit disappointed that there was no literature on hand to show the other models they didn't stock, and to allow me to compare all the different models (the Echo dealer did). I have to admit to being interested in the 455. It compares favorably in size to the Echo CS520 (6cc larger), but it was 2 pounds heavier for the same price. However warranty service and parts support is a major concern. Next stop is the Stihl dealer.............

Indiana John, I don't know who Rural King is, are they a chain/box store? If you have any Husqvarna dealers in you area I would go there and look at their saws. Most of the Husqvarna dealers in my area are pretty good. Same for Stihl and Jonsered dealers. Good luck!

Rural King is a small chain kinda like a low-rent Tractor Supply. Don't have an actual Husky dealer here, nor a Jonsered, or Dolmar, or........
The only REAL saw dealers we have around are for Stihl, Echo, and (35 miles away) Tanaka. Home Despot carries Pull-on, a couple of smaller Echo's, and Troy-Bilt (MTD). And of course Sears has Pull-on and Crapsman (which look like Troy-Bilt in different colors). Pretty limited in saw selection around here...... :cry:

Stop

Indiana John said:
After checking out the Echo line-up at the dealer this afternoon, against my better judgement I decided to stop into the Rural King tonight and check out their Husky's. As I expected there was no one there that had any knowledge of the saws to answer any questions I had unlike at the Echo dealer. They only had three saws in the size range I'm interested in. They had the 350 with the 18" bar for $340, the "Rancher" 455 with a 20" for $380, and the 359 with a 24" for $420. I was a bit disappointed that there was no literature on hand to show the other models they didn't stock, and to allow me to compare all the different models (the Echo dealer did). I have to admit to being interested in the 455. It compares favorably in size to the Echo CS520 (6cc larger), but it was 2 pounds heavier for the same price. However warranty service and parts support is a major concern. Next stop is the Stihl dealer.............

I'd stay away from the 455 were I you, I was very disappointed with it when I purchase one. FYI:help:

Power

Indiana John said:
What didn't you like about it?

I think I've been through it before, butttt, I'll tell ya. Maybe it was just the saw I got, but for some reason that thing was the biggest dog I've ever used in my life. It wasn't even close to my old 041's. Cutting small logs, and I mean 12" white birch it would bog to a complete stop with ANY kind of pressure on it. You pretty much had to hold the saw up. They built the 460 because the 455 was so underpowered. Anyhoot, to make a long story short, my buddy thought the clutch was going to burn off it by like the 15th cut, and he's a die hard husky guy and he was extremely disappointed in it. This was my first husky purchase and needless to say, after running his pro husky's I was let down and disappointed in them. I still bought his little 266xp, AWESOME saw, and been trying to get his 372 or his 288 from him, but he won't part with them. I'd much more recommend them 357xp then the 455 rancher, or even the 350 I've heard is a nice saw. I think you'll be let down by it and I hope they'll take it back, but that's not always possible with a used saw... Just my .02:givebeer:

The Husky 455 is far too heavy for its power - by all means avoid that model.....:deadhorse: :deadhorse:

With that in mind, take a look at usa.husqvarna.com. It is a very good web-site.

Last edited:
Indiana John, Please don't hate the product because of incompetent sales staff. It sounds like you need a good dealer to come to your area. Until then you are best to buy equipment that can be supported locally. The 455 is a sad addition to the Husqvarna product line. It's design is more suited to a larger saw such as the 575XP. The X-Torq engine adds a fair amount of weight and bulk for a 55CC saw. We were fortunate enough in Canada to get our hands back on the 55 rancher this year. I guess we are allowed to pollute a bit more than our neighbors to the south.

Indiana John said:
I have to admit to being interested in the 455. It compares favorably in size to the Echo CS520 (6cc larger), but it was 2 pounds heavier for the same price. .............
I also suggest that you visit the Stihl dealer, and take a look at the MS280 . It is not a full blown pro saw, but has magnesium case, nice anti-vibe, and more power than the 353.
It should be a nice option in the price range indicated by the mentioned models....

... or put out some more money, and go streight for the 361 (a lot more power, pro saw, and only slightly heavier - still lighter than the 455).

SawTroll said:
I also suggest that you visit the Stihl dealer, and take a look at the MS280 . It is not a full blown pro saw, but has magnesium case, nice anti-vibe, and more power than the 353.
It should be a nice option in the price range indicated by the mentioned models....

... or put out some more money, and go streight for the 361 (a lot more power, pro saw, and only slightly heavier - still lighter than the 455).
...and if you want to save a some money look MS270, what will do the job perfectly too:hmm3grin2orange:

Visited the Stihl dealer today......

Went up to the Stihl dealer today to get a spare chain for my MS250 and do some comparison shopping. They had just sold the last 310 and 361 they had yesterday. I wasn't all that interested in the 361 anyway as I can't justify spending that much and I don't really need a "pro" saw for my use anyway. I would have liked to look at the 310, but after comparing the specs on it to the MS290, I decided that the 290 with 20" bar should be enough saw for my needs. With 56.5 cc's it should have plenty of power for the occasions when I need a bigger saw than my MS250, and can probably even handle a 24" bar in a pinch. It's a bit heavier than I would like, but I don't expect that will be a major issue in the long haul. The salesman offered a second chain for just $10 more, and needless to say, I walked out the door with a new saw with two chains (and the second one for my 250 of course!). I've been real satisfied with the Stihl equipment I've had in the past, I've known the Stihl mechanic at this dealer for several years and I know that he's very knowledgable, and most important is that I have not seen where anybody here has had much bad to say about the 029/290 saws. I got more saw for less than I would have spent on the Echo 520, and it was also less money than the Husky 455. I guess it's time for my 041's to look for new homes now! :D

What?

Indiana John said:
Went up to the Stihl dealer today to get a spare chain for my MS250 and do some comparison shopping. They had just sold the last 310 and 361 they had yesterday. I wasn't all that interested in the 361 anyway as I can't justify spending that much and I don't really need a "pro" saw for my use anyway. I would have liked to look at the 310, but after comparing the specs on it to the MS290, I decided that the 290 with 20" bar should be enough saw for my needs. With 56.5 cc's it should have plenty of power for the occasions when I need a bigger saw than my MS250, and can probably even handle a 24" bar in a pinch. It's a bit heavier than I would like, but I don't expect that will be a major issue in the long haul. The salesman offered a second chain for just $10 more, and needless to say, I walked out the door with a new saw with two chains (and the second one for my 250 of course!). I've been real satisfied with the Stihl equipment I've had in the past, I've known the Stihl mechanic at this dealer for several years and I know that he's very knowledgable, and most important is that I have not seen where anybody here has had much bad to say about the 029/290 saws. I got more saw for less than I would have spent on the Echo 520, and it was also less money than the Husky 455. I guess it's time for my 041's to look for new homes now! :D

Are you fricken nuts dude? Don't be gettin rid of those dang 41's. Those are the best saws of the lot. When all your others are in a junkpile, those 41's will still be cuttin wood bro. You should keep'em for antiquity sake. Restore them dude. If your still adament on gettin rid of'em, I'll take'em. 41's were some of the best saws stihl ever came out with.

Indiana John said:
Good choice for what you needed. I hope it performs and keeps you as satisfied as your other Stihl equipment has in the past.:cheers:

Indiana John said:
... as I can't justify spending that much and I don't really need a "pro" saw for my use anyway. ...
Need is a relative term, justify is another..........:ices_rofl:

Last edited:
I must say I don't really understand all the talk about having a good dealer.
We all hang around at AS for like 1 hour / day. We do nothing but sharing opinions, compare specifications and so on. So why on earth do you buy your saws through the dealer that puts his profit on the price ?

Personally I don't need a dealer talking MS170 or MS180. I know what I want,
I want a 357XPG, MS361 or 372XPG, and the cheaper the better!

- Peter

I think it's a quite common opinion around here that the 290 is ....... junk ...

peter399 said:
I think it's a quite common opinion around here that the 290 is ....... junk ...
[sopabox]
Common, but not pervasive or necessarily a majority. People can "bench-race" saws til the cows come home but in the end, if a saw starts when you want it to, cuts like you need it to, and lasts long enough to pay for itself, I can't really call it "junk". Sure, it's heavy and perhaps underpowered by some stadards, (BTW, it's 3.467 lbs/hp thus slightly UNDER - lighter - than the 3.551 lb/hp average for Stihl's US lineup and definitely less than the 200T - everyone's Stihl darling - which comes in at a hefty 3.500 lb/hp), but for reliability and cost per capability, it's a very likeable machine to those who use it.

Compare this machine to "the good ole saws" from the past - McCullochs, Homelights, Remingtons, even older Stihls - and you'll probably find the power-to-weight ratio versus cost per lifespan versus longevity versus reliability, the 290 is a very good saw. I'm sure that some weight could be engineered out of the saw, but that would cost money. The weight penalty to me and many, many, many other guys is acceptable for the money saved. It's just a couple of pounds for kee-rist's sake.

AND AS FOR the filter complaint - I have yet to notice a performance issue surrounding my 290's filter. Does it collect debris? Sure THAT'S IT'S JOB! Has it slowed me down? no. Has it detracted from the availability rate of the saw? no. Has anyone ever stuck a manometer on the "dirty" side of a "clogged" filter to see just what restriction is produced, or do we just give it a look and make a subjective OPINION that it's clogged? How many guys just parrot what others have said without having one of these in their hands? In their shop? In their truck? In their woodlot?

At 13 (13.5, Saw Troll?) pounds, it's still easy enough to use. I think any guy on this site would get left in the woods by my crew if he were lightweight enough to complain about that kind of weight when we usually lug rounds 7, 8, 9, heck, 10 times that weight we just cut with that saw.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit taking amphetemines...[/soapbox]

I agree Bump...

Sure, it's not "state of art", but to call a saw junk would indicate that it doesn't last and doesn't perform its intended purpose. It does both of these.

The "weight engineered" version is the 280 - the 280 engine is basically a graft of the 029 type cylinder/case with a magnesium chassis instead of the carrier. It costs more... take your pick.

Last edited:
Back