Looked at Husky's tonight......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Power to weight

Ok, I gotta say this. What is this crap about power to weight that everyone keeps griping about? I mean come on!!! We've got it good. We don't carry around anymore 30lb saws. We've got antivibe, we've got special grips, special gas, special bar oil, he11 for that matter we've got special bars. When does it get to the point where the complaining about a saw being 2lbs heavier is whining like a school girl? I think the other dude said it best. If it starts when you need it to and does the work you need it to, USE IT!!!!! If your going to complain, lift up your little skirt, rub a little dirt in it and suck it up!!! It's 2006, we're healthier, smarter and more efficient than ever. I think we can sacrifice a pound on a saw... :bang: :rock:

I wouldn't call a 029 or a MS290 junk. It's not a pro saw but it's still a pretty good saw for $330 to $350. You're not going to be able to use the saw every day of the year but it wasn't intended for that. It was intended for the average Joe that cuts a couple of cords of firewood and might need a saw to clean up here and there. It is heavier then it should be in my opinion, but it's priced right.

I think one thing we need to keep in mind is that not everyone needs a $600 plus chain saw. If someone doesn't need one and wants to buy one anyway's that's great.

I've had my 029 since 2000. I bought it with a 20 inch b&c. I would recommend a 16 to 18 inch b&c over the 20 inch. Mine didn't seem to cut to good with the 20 inch so I went down to a 18 inch NF b&c, big difference! My friend has a 16 inch b&c on his 029 and it cuts great. Again they're are on the heavy side.

In my opinion a MS250 (16" b&c) and MS290 (18" b&c) makes a good combo for the average guy that doesn't cut more then a few face cords of firewood a year. I've been cutting about 5 face cords a year with my 021 and 029 since 2000. Never had a problem with either saw.

I'm going to get a 353 because it's right in between my 021 and 029 weight and power wise and I'll end up using it more then both of them. I'm thinking about getting a 357XP to. If everything go right for me I might start cutting 10 full cords (30 face cords) every other year starting next spring. I think the 353 (16" b&c) and the 357XP (18" and/or 20" b&c) will work out better for me.

Ya did good Indiana John!

NYH1,
I think you underestimate the 290. At 10 full cords/year, it should last a couple of decades (with proper maintenance...Stihltech's disclaimer).
Husky's saws of similar grade should perform as well, as should Echo, etc.

the 290 is a price based model,it will run a long time and cut alot of firewood for personal use,I would never label it as "junk".
I save the junk classification for poulans.
seriously,keep the chain sharp,use good fuel/mix,clean air filter the saw will last a long time for you,congratulations on your new saw.

peter399 said:
I must say I don't really understand all the talk about having a good dealer.
We all hang around at AS for like 1 hour / day. We do nothing but sharing opinions, compare specifications and so on. So why on earth do you buy your saws through the dealer that puts his profit on the price ?

Personally I don't need a dealer talking MS170 or MS180. I know what I want,
I want a 357XPG, MS361 or 372XPG, and the cheaper the better!

- Peter
Parts and the repair that you can't handle yourself is the point.....;)

MS290 etc

bump_r said:
[sopabox]
At 13 (13.5, Saw Troll?) pounds, it's still easy enough to use. ...
According to KWF/DLG the correct weight is about 13.5 lbs, not 13.0 (6.1 kg vs. 5.9).....

Last edited:
SawTroll said:
According to KWF/DLG the correct weight is about 13.5 lbs, not 13.0 .....
13.0 IS "about 13.5"...

I just gotta weigh mine and be done with it. Or just deal with it - it's only a half pound after all.

WRW said:
Got a lot of elitist chainsaw snobs there in Sweden?

Ok, maybe I picked the wrong word, junk. Of course it depends on what you intend to use it for. For cutting some firewood for the cottage or doing some cleanup here and there, I'm sure it works ok. But not a chance
I would use it for a full working day bucking and limbing. I tried it once and I wasn't impressed. I think my 026 or 353 have more grunt.
Anyway, If you are happy with it, that's fine.

bump_r said:
13.0 IS "about 13.5"...

I just gotta weigh mine and be done with it. Or just deal with it - it's only a half pound after all.

13lbs...damn that is how much my 372 weighs... HAHA. 290 isa tad cheaper though.....

WRW said:
NYH1,
I think you underestimate the 290. At 10 full cords/year, it should last a couple of decades (with proper maintenance...Stihltech's disclaimer).
Husky's saws of similar grade should perform as well, as should Echo, etc.
I'm not underestimating them at all. I've used my 029 for the last six years and other then buying A LOT of air filters it's been a good saw, specially for the $300 plus tax I paid for it brand new. If I do start cutting as much firewood as I hope will happen the 357XP will work a lot better for me. I'm probably going to keep my 029 as a back up saw! :)

NYH1 said:
I'm not underestimating them at all. I've used my 029 for the last six years and other then buying A LOT of air filters it's been a good saw, specially for the $300 plus tax I paid for it brand new. If I do start cutting as much firewood as I hope will happen the 357XP will work a lot better for me. I'm probably going to keep my 029 as a back up saw! :)

Why all the airfilters..? they wash out just fine.. no scrubing though...

Seriously.. I recover almost every filter that come in on a saw for "tuneup" unless it has holes in it.

For some reason the filters on my 029 seem to get clogged really bad and really quick. The filters on my 021 last a lot longer and I use it a lot more then the 029. I don't know why.

NYH1 said:
For some reason the filters on my 029 seem to get clogged really bad and really quick. The filters on my 021 last a lot longer and I use it a lot more then the 029. I don't know why.

I believe I know why...

Much of the air restrictive clogging you see is from the inside.. The spit-back for the 029 increases as the piston skirt wears, and coats mix onto the filter. The gas evaporates and leave the oil to form a resin mixture of wood resins/mix oil.. All saws spit back - the 029/039 doesn't have a spit guard or a sponge, and seems to be "spittier" than most..

I split the filter, drop it in some coleman lantern fluid for a while to dissolve the resins/oil, take it out, drain of the excess and blow out with air from the inside. If it needs more, spray on a diluted (4:1) purple cleaner, wait 5 minutes, wash off with warm water an blow dry. Most filters come back to new when treated like this...

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:
Why all the airfilters..? they wash out just fine.. no scrubing though...

Seriously.. I recover almost every filter that come in on a saw for "tuneup" unless it has holes in it.
The dishwasher has been a simple and effective solution on the filters I have put into it......

SawTroll said:
The dishwasher has been a simple and effective solution on the filters I have put into it......

Yep. Sneaked a few in myself... Does pay to get out any old solidified mix junk first though..

Another good trick is just leave them in the pockets of your jeans before they go though the wash... At least when caught you have "plausible deniability":)

Latest posts

Back