Lookinf for some ADVICE!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josephcox

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
OK, long story short. My name is Joseph and I have been in the tree buisness for three years now working under someone else. I worked my way from a groundman to a foreman. I am now thinking of going into buisness for myself. Starting my own tree service here in Athens, Georgia. My situation is.. In the 1st year that i was working for my company I bought a $3500 stump grinder and I thought it was the best thing. It paid it's self off and 8 months later i was ready to invest into bigger and better. SO I DID... I bought a $30,000 stump grinder (Carlton TRX7015) and have been using it for the past year. I have paid off 1 yr of my 5 yr loan. It has made me a lot of money...I can't complain...but now I am contemplating whether or not I should sell it and buy my own bucket. My goal is to own my own tree service...But, should I buy a bucket/w a chip box and no chipper untill i can afford one, or a chipper truck and chipper? I guess that depends on my climbing skills, right? (yes I have considered that, my climbing skills are decent...taken classes, on my way to becoming a certified arborist). SO.... Should i sell the grinder for what it is worth and invest into a bucket w/ a chip box untill I can afford a chipper or a chip truck with a chipper? PLEASE HELP ME, My ANXIETY IS TAKING OVER!

You seem to have made a lot money grinding stumps. I say keep grinding and save your money, then buy equipment as needed.

What is your market? Will the bucket and chipper even be needed, or are you caught up in the "big toys for big boys" trap? I was once trying to figure out if I should buy a chipper and dump truck, a bucket truck, etc., and once I calmed down and looked at the jobs I was doing, I knew I didn't need that equipment. I'm an excellent climber and have only turned down one job out of all the jobs I've done because a bucket was called for to safely bring down this one tree. As far as chipping, I load my brush and wood and haul it to a mulching place where they chip it.

Seriously, just take some deep breaths and look at your market. If you have to have the bigger equipment right off the bat, something I find hard to believe, then find places that rent it out. If such places don't exist in your area, consider subbing out when you honestly need the stuff. Save your $$$$ and when you can, buy what you need, outright. Financing is the ruin of many a good man. Yeah, you'll feel real cool driving down the street in your big bucket rig, and seeing your dumper towing your chipper with your professionally painted logo on both vehicles, real cool. How cool will you feel, though, when the repo guys come to take back everything because you're now way over your head in debt, and aren't getting enough gigs to pay your bills? Think it over, man, before you pop for the big bucks.

Financing is the ruin of many a good man. Yeah, you'll feel real cool driving down the street in your big bucket rig, and seeing your dumper towing your chipper with your professionally painted logo on both vehicles, real cool.

Sunrise, tru dat. Hey Joseph, really man, ease up on the expenses. I started with $7,000. I found an 88 chevy 3500 1 ton with 60K miles for $3,500. I retrofitted a dump mechanism and boxed in the back. I used the rest to purchase my old chuck-n-duck (with new engine). I can hold an entire medium sized tree and I do very well. Everything is paid off and now its all gravy. Also, consider the lean winter months where that $739.07 truck payment is TOUGH to come by. A bucket is nice but certainly not essential. I climb everything. I remember my bucket days with Bartlett: it made me fat and lazy! Stay trim and if a big freak ice storm comes through Athens , then you may have the surplus to make that BIG purchase. GOOD LUCK.

If I were you,I wouldn't even worry about a bucket truck right now.I'd find the best truck and chipper you can get for your budget right now..And I would not even consider selling the stump grinder..Didn't you mention that you had a fairly decent stump business going on the side?..Then there is no reason to just ditch that,that could be your saving grace during the slow times of the year..To mention all of the other stump work you'll be turning up while out cutting trees....I could have bought a bucket truck several times,but I refuse to just because it seems like on 90% of the jobs we do,you wouldn't be able to get it to the tree anyway...I started out with a 1976 model ford ton truck that I paid $3000.00 for...The bed had a really good floor,but no sides,so I built them myself..I wasn't able to afford a chipper until I had been in the business about five years..Starting with all of the best equipment would be nice if you can afford it..But it's not necessary.I would think practical at first then add as your business develops...And remember there are lost of loan companies out there just for starting small businesses that will loan you well over enough money to get you in over your head in a heartbeat..Steer clear of them and try and operate off of what you generate.

I would have to say get a truck and chipper. Get something comparable to the work you are doing. If you are chipping big wood, large limbs then get the machine to handle the work. I wouldn't over spend. Grow your company as you grow. Everyone's a decent climber, heck even I'm a decent climber probably even though I've never been asked to do something I wouldn't do. I guess maybe I just don't do the big work;) . But seriously think smart look at the work you plan to do in the next few years, don't under power yourself but don't go too big. Chose the right too for the job. Don't be in a hurry, it wil come.

thanks for yalls advice. yall really made me reconsider my situation and brought me back to reality. However, I still have a $30,000 stump grinder. should i sell the grinder and buy a cheaper one so that i can have a cheaper payment seeing as how my long term goal is to own a treeservice, or go with what i have (which is a $30k grinder and the basics-200t climbing saw, ms650 and rigging and climbing gear--no other equip.)? just thinking b/c i know a grinder is a nice piece of equipment to have but def not a necessity of a treeservice. Im not trying to get on your nerves with my questions, but this is the best and most willing advice ive gotten from anyone.
joseph

Ok, Joseph, Heres my situation.
I demand $65.oo per hour in the tree. Thats $520 per 8 hours. I cut the stumps as low as posssible and move on. Stumps can be proffitable for non climbers or even winter work. But lets face it, if u can keep the pruning/removal work coming in that stump grinder will sit unused. A $30,000 anything aint cheap, but it sounds like u got plenty stump work going on so it's a tough call. I would consider a cheaper unit.

Latest posts

Back