Looking at a Stihl 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Burnette

Muzzy17is
Reaction score
I have a guy that's got a Stihl 460 that he said is locked up and needs rebuilt. What should I look at on this saw and how much should I pay for it. He's asking $50.00 but I haven't seen it yet.

Stop looking and get that thing for $50 bucks! A complete carcass like that is worth that all day long, invest bearings seals top end and rubber parts and u have a $900 dollar saw for around $400. Plus you learned a lot doing a project like that by yourself.
How is that 2 series pop up running?:innocent:

How is that 2 series pop up running?:innocent:
Husqvarna 254? Runs strong, has plenty of time so I got bored and put it away for a few other saws...great little saw though. Or the 242 sleeper with a popup? Same with it, rugged simple little saws. For the Stihl folks I have a pile of the "maligned" Stihl 441's that I plan to boil into a couple of saws, one done like my 562's...with a pop up. Should be fun.

Husqvarna 254? Runs strong, has plenty of time so I got bored and put it away for a few other saws...great little saw though. Or the 242 sleeper with a popup? Same with it, rugged simple little saws. For the Stihl folks I have a pile of the "maligned" Stihl 441's that I plan to boil into a couple of saws, one done like my 562's...with a pop up. Should be fun.
I meant the 372 with a 268 pop up you did recently.

I meant the 372 with a 268 pop up you did recently.

That one is going together as we speak, a set of cases that had their "nylons" in a twist, put some used Nachi's from a "crushed" 372 that came back but the cases were cracked....popped the bearings out as they didn't have much time and put them in this junk pile saw...:) Have a cylinder that came from Spike60's 2171 he tried a AM piston and it fragged, I ground out the transfer arches removing most of the damage, and put a ball hone in there as well....so its going to be a junk pile saw build. Suspect it will run well. Have a 52mm Hyway top end coming for another bottom end and a 50mm pop up from Hyway to see how it measured up to doing a popup on the 268. The place I am curious about is did they keep the crown height stock or add .020 as I did. THAT will make a difference as I prefer to use a base gasket. So in process.

That one is going together as we speak, a set of cases that had their "nylons" in a twist, put some used Nachi's from a "crushed" 372 that came back but the cases were cracked....popped the bearings out as they didn't have much time and put them in this junk pile saw...:) Have a cylinder that came from Spike60's 2171 he tried a AM piston and it fragged, I ground out the transfer arches removing most of the damage, and put a ball hone in there as well....so its going to be a junk pile saw build. Suspect it will run well. Have a 52mm Hyway top end coming for another bottom end and a 50mm pop up from Hyway to see how it measured up to doing a popup on the 268. The place I am curious about is did they keep the crown height stock or add .020 as I did. THAT will make a difference as I prefer to use a base gasket. So in process.
I hear the 266/68 pop ups run VERY well with only a muffler mod and an HD-12. Did you weigh the metor vs a stock 372 piston? The OEM 266/268 pistons are quite a bit lighter. More intake timing, more compression and a lighter piston= fun, fun, fun.

Didn't over think it, just piled the junk together....if it runs well then I'll pick it apart. Three things with that concept, First like I said, my piston at the edge is .020 taller than stock, so its like pulling a base gasket from the get go, AND there is a .040 popup in addition to shrink the combustion chamber volume. Not decking the cylinder means not weakening the tabs, also there is minimal obstruction at the transfer at BDC, maybe the .020 but nothing like when you drop the cylinder .045 which mean I don't have to recover x-sectional area with stupid blow down numbers...all good. And then with the short skirt, the intake has more duration...can over do that. Will see when we run it if it gets "boggy" off idle. Last but not least is the fact I haven't altered exhaust timing much either. Rather open that exhaust later for torque. IN fact other than the intake, all the number point towards a saw with more punch sooner than stock, exactly how I like them...I do think if this works well the same game with a 272 52mm piston with a 52mm topend as was suggested is next...why not? As Bob says, these will be called 372xpp's...:)

Latest posts

Back