Looking at buying a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have various size stihl saws, my choice for the wood you are cutting would be my 360pro w/ 20" bar. However, husky, dolmar and Jred saws are all good, mostly personal preference and dealer location/availability. But I would use that size range myself. (60 cc). That should put you in the $650.00 range for a stihl 362 and leave you some money in your budget for additional accessories.

I am in the same boat as you, only I cut a little more than that per year. The thing is, you don't want to go too small, cause in 2-3yrs, you'll be right back here doing the same thing. All saws that you mentioned will get you where you're wanting to be, now you gotta ask yourself what's the best bang for your buck, or how much saw can you get for the dollar you're spending. After running this over back and fourth, HP to HP, CC to CC, and power to wght ratio, the answer for me is the JRed 2171. At 13.2lbs, 71cc's and 5.3 HP, I don't think you'll find a better saw for that power to weight ratio. To give you a comparison, I have an Stihl MS290, which is 13lbs, 53cc's and 3.8hp, granted twice the price, but you're into a pro-saw with close to 20 more cc's and a horse and a half more power. The 362 is a great saw, but for the same money, you can be into that 2171 and that's what is making up my mind. The only question from there is, what size bar do you need?

I am in the same boat as you, only I cut a little more than that per year. The thing is, you don't want to go too small, cause in 2-3yrs, you'll be right back here doing the same thing. All saws that you mentioned will get you where you're wanting to be, now you gotta ask yourself what's the best bang for your buck, or how much saw can you get for the dollar you're spending. After running this over back and fourth, HP to HP, CC to CC, and power to wght ratio, the answer for me is the JRed 2171. At 13.2lbs, 71cc's and 5.3 HP, I don't think you'll find a better saw for that power to weight ratio. To give you a comparison, I have an Stihl MS290, which is 13lbs, 53cc's and 3.8hp, granted twice the price, but you're into a pro-saw with close to 20 more cc's and a horse and a half more power. The 362 is a great saw, but for the same money, you can be into that 2171 and that's what is making up my mind. The only question from there is, what size bar do you need?

EXACTLY! Another vote for 2171.

I typed your location into the Dolmar Dealer finder and it looks to be a few in your area. Click link below. http://www.dolmarpowerproducts.com/contact/dealer_locator/usa_dealers.html
If your looking for a lightweight saw take a look at the Dolmar 5105
or if a local dealer still has a 5100. They are basically the same saw the 5105 is just the updated latest greatest version. Good luck in your search. And welcome to AS.

Ur sig says u have a 12 inch duck and tuck and a 10 inch boat lol

Now that's a darn sensible approach. :cheers:

The closest you get to a replacement for the 630 today is the 2165, but then you can just as well buy the 2171 - more power for about the same weight (as it was with the 670 vs. 630 back then).

The 630 was made by Husqvarna, as is all the good Jonsered saws today.

Excellent analysis. I most often run a 20" bar on my 2171 but carry the 24" in the box for if I run into bigger wood. It only takes a couple of minutes to switch them around. With the 20" bar she really rips through the hardwood.

There is a very nice/as new Stihl MS440 in the ads here for sale. Probably the closest saw to what you are running if using a 24". I really enjoy mine. Thought about buying the one here just because.

It already has the dual exhaust port installed.

Welcome to the site!

That is it right there! A 440.:bowdown:

If that Mac 700 is going to be your big saw, then how about a 50cc saw for the limbing and smaller log bucking duty?

The cream of that crop is going to be the Husky 346xp-NE or its Jred equivalent (2153?), or the Dolmar PS-5100s or PS-5105.

Back