Looking at new Wood Stoves.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy102579

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm been thinking this will be my last winter using my Old inefficient Ugly Fireplace. I am hoping to remove it sometime next year and get a Wood Stove Installed.

I have a Cape Cod style house here with about 1300 sq ft.

I don't need the best and don't want to spend a fortune, but I do want something decent. This will be installed in a rear corner of my home.....so all the fireplace mantle, framing and box will get removed and redone by probably a professional.

What are some decent Brands to look at. I am going to go to some Stove Places around here and just wondering from you guys on here what brands to look for ...

Thanks...

The newer inserts are more efficient, but I bought a old buck stove several years ago. Cleaned it up, reprinted,
new glass and blower. Works flawlessly. Think I payed $120 for the insert and spent $200 on new parts and $1000 on a stainless liner. Saved me a bunch of money and I have been very impressed with it!

Thanks

There all pretty good these days, it depends on what your local dealer has and then there are the least expensive box store ones. I own a Lopi freedom with a blower and am very happy with it although the blower started making noise after five years and I had to replace it.

I'm been thinking this will be my last winter using my Old inefficient Ugly Fireplace. I am hoping to remove it sometime next year and get a Wood Stove Installed.

I have a Cape Cod style house here with about 1300 sq ft.

I don't need the best and don't want to spend a fortune, but I do want something decent. This will be installed in a rear corner of my home.....so all the fireplace mantle, framing and box will get removed and redone by probably a professional.

What are some decent Brands to look at. I am going to go to some Stove Places around here and just wondering from you guys on here what brands to look for ...

Thanks...

I'm right across Lake Ontario from you, Just north of Belleville actually.
Lots of good wood stoves and inserts to choose from now. I would stick to North American made stoves. Better steel and better craftsmanship for longevity. I have a 1200 sq ft. x two floor home in the woods outside of Madoc and we heat with wood and wood pellets. I have an Enviro Evolution Pellet stove and a Century wood stove right now but am also looking at replacing it next year with a new one. Have my eye on a Drolet HT2000; an Osburn 2300; Enviro Kodiak 2100; or J.A. Roby Ultimate. All are large wood stoves and made in North America with great heat outputs.

northern tool has a few stoves.some look good.price looks fair. take a look.

There are a lot of efficient, good looking stoves to chose from. The thing I didn't consider with my first wood stove was the ash removal. Ash removal on some is, let the fire die down and use a scoop to clean out, some make it clear that they use an ash pan, but when you look inside, there is a small opening that has to be uncovered and then rake the ashes into the pan which means you have to let the fire die down. The easiest I've found to deal with have an ash pan with separate door and grates to let the ashes fall through, about every four or five days, open the door and carry the pan out and dump the ashes, don't have to interrupt the burn and no ash dust all over the house. Happy hunting.:clap:

I think im goin for the hearthstone phoenix model $2800 retail but they throwin on 10% offf and a 1/2cord of kiln dried firewood still thinkin but prob gonna go for it not to mention get a $700 tax credit

I have a jotul 500. Its great! It cost about $2500 but I wanted something that looked very nice.

I pulled out an EPA cert non cat stove this summer and put in a EPA cert stove with a catalytic combustor in it.

The new stove cost me bank, but I am burning more efficiently this year.

If I had it to do over I would probably skip the cert non-cat, and have gone straight from my old smoke dragon box stove to the catalytic stove. The non-cat stoves run either hot or really really hot; long low overnight burn is just not something they can do.

The soapstone stoves can be nice with smaller houses. It's a different style of heat that seems to be a bit softer and gradual. It can still run you out of the house in certain conditions, but it doesn't really rage hot so quickly like the steel and cast iron stoves.

We installed a Woodstock Fireview in our 1000 sq ft house last fall and really love it. Unless there is a warm spell during the burning season (multiple days at 50*+) then we normally keep the fire going 24/7. The nice thing about the soapstone is that if you get one with a decent sized firebox, you can go 8-12 hrs on a burn cycle and not necessarily need to immediately re-stoke and fire away again if you don't need to. There is residual heat built up in the stone that radiates a decent amount.

On days that are way below freezing, you'll probably want to reload as much as any other stove to keep the heat pumping, but on relatively warmer days it can be a nice advantage that helps you conserve wood you don't really need to burn and still be producing residual heat for up to 4-6 hrs.

We bought our Fireview refurbished from Woodstock for around $1700 shipped. It looked brand new. It was a 2006 model that I'm guessing someone returned at some point and got a total rebuild and still came with warranty. There is a catalyst in this stove, but it's super easy to take out and clean (vacuum outside for about 2 mins.) Only thing that I thought that wasn't well calculated is that it advises to clean every 6 weeks of use, which is about right. You can tell that it gets a bit more choked after 6-8 weeks or solid burn time. If it's cold and you don't wanna let your fire die out then you can't take the catalyst out to clean it. It never really became a huge inconvenience, but it wasn't the best design I suppose.

Overall, very happy with the Fireview in our small, but old and questionably insulated house. The only time it had trouble holding the temps to a reasonable level overnight (on a single load before bed) was the couple of nights it got down to -15* with crazy wind.

Attachments

• IMG_2451.JPG
    IMG_2451.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 11
Two other brands/models we were really looking at before we settled on Fireview were Pacific Energy T-5, T-6 and Jotul Oslo, F-118. In the end, I think we would have been happy with any of those, but still glad we chose the Fireview.

Back