Looking for 2 in 1 gas can

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ford's Lawncare

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am going to post this in the "wanted/trade" forum, but anyway I am looking for one of those gasoline cans that has a resovior for gas and a smaller resivoir for bar chain oil. I am up here in Maine, and for some stupid reason, those cans are not allowed to be sold in this state, probably some stupid politician who dosen't even know what a chainsaw is thought that one up. I am woundering if any of you guys have one of these lying around you are willing to sell or give away, I would gladly pay for shipping or whatever.
Thanks,
Dan

I had one it was a pain in the ass. I tossed it and just stayed with the oil jug and a 2 1/2 gallon mix can. That size mix can is what's needed for the stihl mix bottle. It's also easy to handle. I then carry a 5 gallon can of gas. So if I do a lot of cutting and run through that 2 1/2 gallons I can mix up more.

Scott

Everyone has there thing, mine was not one of those cans either. I tossed mine in with a deal I made selling an MS-310 , the buyer is a member here now, maybe he likes it?

A couple things I did not like was how you had to open and close the spouts in order to pour, I find it quicker to pour out of two individual cans.

The other thing I didn't like was the size of the can - how much it held, it took the whole bottom of a 6-gallon pail (my saw kit) and only holds a little more then a gallon,,,, I sort of like a 2 1/2 gallon can and a detergent jug for bar-oil.

Just my thing, good luck on your search.

Thanks, I've never actually used one, but all the guys around here who cut a lot of wood told me about it. Maybe I'll look more into if I do end up getting one.

I had one too and chucked it out. Made a real mess of the bar oil if you stowed the spout like it was designed to.

Ian

Bailey's used to sell them, check em out.
Since I'm working by myself cutting & skidding I use one, just about the right size. If you use one the first thing you want to do is get rid of those cheezy spout's, and just pour out of the jug.
When I was felling timber for the mill I just used 1 gallon oil jug's (one for gas & 1 for oil) with a starter cord tying them together, I'd carry an extra gallon of gas up the strip the first day and stash what was left for the next day. If you burn 2 1/2 gallon's of gas through a saw in a day you are either a better man than me, or your saw is a real hog.

Andy

I bought mine from the local stihl dealer , i first seen them on baileys site . they come with flexable spouts and is desighned to drop spouts into can and screw the caps back on (what a mess). What i done is leave the spouts sticking out and used the lids off of those yellow heat bottles (the stuff you put in gas to get rid of moisture) seems to work good. A buddy of mine cut the flexable spouts off of his and toward the base they are threaded and he screwed on plastic coke bottle caps on his.

Oil and Gas

I do things a little different, guess I am just lazy. I got me an old fuel pump, and built a metal box over the tongue of my trailer. Used the fuel pump to pump fuel into the saws, just drop the fuel line into the tank and push the button. The pump runs off the same battery that powers my winch in the nose of the trailer.
For bar oil I found an old oil pump for a 5 gallon bucket, and cut the end off so that it fits into the oil tank. One push down on the plunger fills the tank exact, except for the bigger saws, it takes and extra 1/4 push. Makes the whole process really fast, and the neat part is no fooling with gas and oil jugs. I fill the oil tank up at home, and it easily lasts the entire day. The gas tank is also filled at home with a 5 gallon can that I keep my mix in. Makes the whole process easy and i dont have to keep track of those rotten jugs. I smashed my oil jug one day by throwing wood into the trailer after forgetting to take the jugs out, and ended up having to go all the way home for more oil. Wasted trips, never again.

if youre looking for combi-cans they might be hard to come up with over there...

kuva498.jpg

Yea, we have to actually look at the saw when filling it and stop tilting the can when it's time to.

Ian

Last edited:
don't worry tho, we're right behind you. That can is not shippable to several places because the government there, like europe, doesn't trust their citizens to accomplish a complicated task like filling a chainsaw without government mandated safeguards.

just poking a little fun, no harm intended.
Ian

I do things a little different, guess I am just lazy. I got me an old fuel pump, and built a metal box over the tongue of my trailer. Used the fuel pump to pump fuel into the saws, just drop the fuel line into the tank and push the button. The pump runs off the same battery that powers my winch in the nose of the trailer.
For bar oil I found an old oil pump for a 5 gallon bucket, and cut the end off so that it fits into the oil tank. One push down on the plunger fills the tank exact, except for the bigger saws, it takes and extra 1/4 push. Makes the whole process really fast, and the neat part is no fooling with gas and oil jugs. I fill the oil tank up at home, and it easily lasts the entire day. The gas tank is also filled at home with a 5 gallon can that I keep my mix in. Makes the whole process easy and i dont have to keep track of those rotten jugs. I smashed my oil jug one day by throwing wood into the trailer after forgetting to take the jugs out, and ended up having to go all the way home for more oil. Wasted trips, never again.

I did something similar in that I rigged up a fuel pump for a remote control plane to pump gas into my saws. I put a plug on it so it plugged in to the trailer plug on my truck. It worked okay, but the pump has developed a leak so I quit using it. It's supposed to be gasoline rated, but now I'm not so sure.

don't worry tho, we're right behind you. That can is not shippable to several places because the government there, like europe, doesn't trust their citizens to accomplish a complicated task like filling a chainsaw without government mandated safeguards.

:laugh:

just poking a little fun, no harm intended.
Ian

That's probably the reason we have those dam 5 gallon plastic gas jug's with no vent's now. I hate those things. I've got a 100 gallon tank in the back of the truck for diesel for the skidder, and bobcat. But I haul gas for the processor, and conveyor in 5 gallon jug's. I spill more gas messing with those ventless :censored: than I ever did with the old style.

Andy

I have had many different fuel cans over the 30 years. The current set-up seems to be the best for me.

Plastic milk carton. It is just the right size to hold:
1 gal fuel
1 gal bar chain oil:
Ammo box used for the tools - it lies flat in the bottom and the fuel and oil jugs sit on top of it.
A few wedges
Coffee jug and cup also fit.

Park, pick up saw with one hand, carton with other and head in. Have everything I need right there and all easy to carry.

Harry K

That's probably the reason we have those dam 5 gallon plastic gas jug's with no vent's now. I hate those things.

Yep, I hear ya. Hate those glug glug cans. I even wrote to the manufacturer and complained (whole lotta good that did). I was in walmart the other day and saw a rack of the old style can with the screw off vent. I bought one even though I don't need one at the moment. Before that, the last can I bought was a ventless so I cut the flip up vent out of the can I was tossing and installed it on the new can. Worked great.

Ian

For bar oil, I fill 20 ounce soda bottles and don't have to worry about unwieldy containers. Stick the spout into the reservoir and squeeze until it's full. Easy enough to do and if you run out, pick up the next one. I fill several at home and throw them into the tool box.

OSHA wouldn't like it if you did that with 2 liters full of gas.... and maybe even homeland inSecurity.

Latest posts

Back