Looking for a 242xp or even xpg,but i found something else

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ujio

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings from East Europe!I found a chainsaw cheap,functional,is a 242 300 year edition.Is it the same with 242xp or what?Is the one in the middle.image;s=1000x700.jpg

Looks like you have a standard 242 non XP model.
I do not know a whole lot about them, but I know there were earlier 242G, 242SE with the smaller square recoil cover decal- then there was the 42 Special- 242 and then the 242XP and XPG.
42 Special was 2.9HP and 14,500rpm
242 was 3.0HP and 15,000rpm
242XP was 3.1HP and 15,500rpm.

I believe there were two cylinder base gasket thicknesses- the XP having the thinner (0.5mm?) one for higher compression and there were larger ports and transfers in the XP cylinder.

i will sell the garbage 240e and need to replace it with same weight but 3hp.The 242xp is hard to find and costs a minimum 200 euro.Tha 242 that i found cost 100 euro.Any advice?

i will sell the garbage 240e and need to replace it with same weight but 3hp.The 242xp is hard to find and costs a minimum 200 euro.Tha 242 that i found cost 100 euro.Any advice?

The non XP version is still a very good, smaller limbing saw. Some small gains might be made with opening up the muffler and deleting the cylinder base gasket if squish allows for it, but it is in stock form not too far behind the XP version (on paper) a nice 14 inch bar and Stihl chisel chain well sharpened will still make it a very nice saw for European timber.

I have a 242xp that needs a crank seal, but it part of the bearing and they are not made anymore........................................................................................................

I have a 242xp that needs a crank seal, but it part of the bearing and they are not made anymore........................................................................................................

I believe that seal can be removed and replaced inside the bearing if the bearing is still in good condition.
The bearing is specific and has a stepped interior race (to hold the oil seal) and can be hard to find- but the seal can be replaced- if a replacement can be found.

That looks like a bit of a parts bin special. That top cover and brake flag are correct for an anniversary edition 42, recoil is 93 or later if memory serves. I would be more inclined to think it was a 42 with a 242 recoil from what I'm seeing.

There never was a 242se, just like the 254, prior to the XP, they were just the number, not for any particular reason, or to suggest that they weren't a pro saw.

As for the PTO side seal, they were available from Husqvarna again a couple years back, I bought a half dozen of them from my local dealer with no issues.

Personally, I'm kind of partial to overkill, so my bar of choice for this chassis is this 13" Light and Tough. Who needs a lightweight 13" bar? Everybody... LolIMG_20210214_155333.jpg

https://www.skogsverktyg.se/s-gkedj...d-13-33cm-325x1-3mm-husqvarna-motors-gar.html

There never was a 242se, just like the 254, prior to the XP, they were just the number, not for any particular reason, or to suggest that they weren't a pro saw.

Never an SE? Maybe not introduced to your neck of the Woods? As far as I know there certainly were SE, SG, G models in other markets.

Never an SE? Maybe not introduced to your neck of the Woods? As far as I know there certainly were SE, SG, G models in other markets.
The 238 was labeled SE and SG, but the 242 was not, the 254 was the same as well, with the preceding 154 having been labeled SE/SG as well. Prior to gaining the XP monkier, both the 242 and 254 were just the model number, or G when equipped with heated handles, like so:
IMG_20210513_150627_.jpg
INTERNET POST PIC NO.460 Large Web view.jpg

IPL's, service manuals, and sales literature all back up this oddity. Just another of the weird things Husky did, like 266XP's saying SE on the tag and early 268's saying SE on the tag even though there was never such a thing.

Attachments

• Husqvarna242.pdf
    746.5 KB · Views: 0
The 238 was labeled SE and SG, but the 242 was not, the 254 was the same as well, with the preceding 154 having been labeled SE/SG as well. Prior to gaining the XP monkier, both the 242 and 254 were just the model number, or G when equipped with heated handles, like so:
View attachment 1043613
View attachment 1043614

IPL's, service manuals, and sales literature all back up this oddity. Just another of the weird things Husky 266XP's saying SE on the tag and early 268's saying SE on the tag even though there was never such a thing.

Does not back up what I have seen- mind you that was in Europe and I have no hard evidence of it now= most were model designated on the ID tag if not on the recoil decal.

IPL's, service manuals, and sales literature all back up this oddity. Just another of the weird things Husky 266XP's saying SE on the tag and early 268's saying SE on the tag even though there was never such a thing.

Maybe Tomos is the reason for that?

SE = CDI
Without SE = point ignition....

Attachments

• Tomos_URN_NBN_SI_IMG-SHSVVHVW.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Maybe Tomos is the reason for that?

SE = CDI
Without SE = point ignition....

Highly unlikley, the Tomos and Koper build saws I have had have been labeled the same as their Sweden build counterparts.
All of the saws in question are well post of the points era, with the 154/254 using the nearly universal for the era 50 Rancher ignition module. The 133 chassis saws use the same ignition as the 181/281/288.

Finally i received the 242.I cannot say what type it is.The label says 242 and serial 3430192.Can someone give a link where i can identify this and any other Husq?I need to buy some parts...

Back