Looking for a 440 or 460 but found a used 440-036

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanmigmike

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Was out looking for a 440 with a 32" bar and after finding two shops that didn't have any in stock went on the way back home and found a near by shop that had three 440's and a 460 and so on in stock. But he also has a used 036 in great shape (not sure of the exact model), looked like it had been used about three times, and a recent trade in 440, less than a year, they are going to check it out and make sure it is in good shape but the guy they got it from tends to take care of his saws. The short of it is that I can get both of them for about the price of the a new 440... Then I could repair the 028 when I don't have quite so many projects to do. This shop seemed to have the full Stihl range in stock! More than one saw on the shelf in most models. So thoughts on doing this rather than getting one new saw?

:deadhorse: I know this part is indeed doing that. Drove about an hour to go to the next closest Dolmar dealer. They also sell Echo and Stihl. The total Dolmar products they have in stock are two concrete saws. None of the bigger Stihls, have to special order them. Kind of tried to steer me to the largest Echo they had in stock, can't recall the model. Their response when I asked about Dolmar saws was pretty much..."why ya want one....yeah we can order them but don't know how long it will take to get one...don't know about parts....no brochures..." I'm not sure why this didn't make me pull out my wallet and throw a wad a cash down.

To be honest they did have a lot of lawnmowers and parts and seemed to be for gardening services and consumers. Seems to be the opposite of the Husky dealer complaint about having to carry and stock tractors and all that. Why let shops carry your products when they don't really carry them?

if you get a clean MS440, pass on the 036. get an 026 instead.

034/036 would be good if you only can have one saw.

You do know now to ignore those shops that didn't have anything and take your business to the one that had the new and used saws in stock. Buy that used 440 if it checks OK and then start looking for an 026/260 for your smaller saw. Those two will do most anything you want short of some serious milling. Rebuild the 028 at your leisure and you'll be set.
Finnbear

Last edited:
hey if it's a good enough deal on a clean pro saw. I'd buy it even if I didn't need it :D

Yeah really, how much for the 440's? I need to replace my 044 that came up missing a couple weeks ago......

Lakeside53 said:
If the price is right, take it. Nothing wrong with a good 036!

I have the saddest looking 034 (predecessor of the 036) that has a broken crankcase held together with a riveted-on splint. It's still a great saw. Cuts well, sounds great, feels great, just looks like a POS.

Maybe I need to cut with my eyes closed....

Latest posts

Back