Looking for a bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think Sugihara has US distribution currently

And their patent has expired on the lightweight bar design which Oregon has now copied.

They are a good bar but quite expensive and the tips are unique and also hard to find.

I can regroove any bar you would like from .050 to .058 on the bar shaper/grinder for quite a bit less than the price of a Sugi (the cost of the bar plus regrooving).

The Sugi's are universal mounts with spacers now which works fine provided you don't lose the spacers in the woods.

I bought a 041 parts saw that has a 20" .058X.375 bar
I think its a Sandvik bar. I will check tonight.

:dizzy: Disregard........I was WAY OFF! :hmm3grin2orange:

Windsor, Speed Tip .050X.375 not sure if it's 20" or 21"
One side of bar is marked 21 40-50SN, other side AOOX & 3807

The question has come up, is the chain under-sized or is the bar groove over-sized. There has to be some clearance there. My Stihl .050 chain measures .049 and my Stihl ES bar measures .053. The chain I need a bar for is a .058 and measures .057. So, the chains are within one thou of advertised size and the bars are about 4 thou over. Now I need to figure out a way to grind or spread mine to .061. That means I need to open it up about .007. There's got to be a way to open this thing up without a machine shop. Come on guys. Put your thinkin' caps on:)

Last edited:
Spreading is NG

You need to have the groove ground to the proper width.

If you spread the rails they will flex back with use and cause all kinds of headaches.

IMO, best way to measure bar grove is with feeler gauge.

I just gauged a brand new Stihl ES .063 bar, it was .065, also
new Stihl .063 chain was .063 on the nose.

Last edited:
Yes you can widen the slot

It is done often though it may be some work. I have never tried to re-size the slot in a Total but they are good bars and I imagine the area around the slot would not be too difficult to cut.

They are quite heavy though.

On this bar I don't care about the weight. It's only purpose is for this .058 race chain I've got. It won't be used for anything else. Any ideas on how I can open up my existing .050 16" bar?

Here's another 3/8 .058 bar, but for JONSERED and OLYMPYK saws, LINK. Could the mount on it be modded for my saw? My preference would be to open the slot on my existing bar, but I'm exploring all my options at this point.

Last edited:
Get a .063 and close the rails

Then true the tops of the rails.

Spreading a .050 to .058 will leave the bottom of the groove .050 and bind

A .063 can be brought down to .058 with fewer issues.

But a .063 will probably measure .066-.067 and will need to come down to .061-.062. How would you grind one wider in a machine shop? I have a friend that I might be able to talk into it. He's aweful busy any more though.

Last edited:
Back