Looking for a big saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FourMoCajuns

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been toying around with the idea of purchasing an Alaskan mill or the like. But first I need a monster saw. I was thinking that an 066 would be about the smallest I should get. I came across one in a Pawn shop and he was asking $225 for it. The thing had lots of wear on it but had really good compression. Didn't have time to pull the muffler so I don't know how the piston looks. Now on to my question... Are there any big bores that I should stay away from for any reason? I don't want to buy one with hopes of rebuilding it and not be able to find parts.:confused:

I've got a 3120 husky for sale over in that section of the forum. Even posted a pic of the piston through the exh port.

The 066 is a great mill saw up to about 30 inches. Be carfull on compression - you can have great compression but the piston skirt can be worn to heck on the inlet side. Worn skirt mainly affects the low end so start the saw, see if it idles correctly when warm at about 1 turn out +/- .

I think a 066 is a good saw for milling $225 is a good price for one and the piston and cylinders are pretty reasonable on ebay. I think it would be a good canidate for a rebuild at a good price. I think all the stihl and huskys are pretty reasonable to rebuild. I would stay away from the older saws such as mac and homelite not that they aren't good saws but the parts are getting harder to come by.

actually there were 2 090 's on ebay yesterday, the above trailer queen and another one. now thats a milling saw!!!!

badcars2 said:
since the 090 isnt marketed in the us anymore, are parts even available. point taken.

I have several 090's. Parts are not a problem yet but can take a few days to get. I have a 090 that I would like to sell also.

Bill

Latest posts

Back