Looking for a small saddle.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Mc

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A question for all you vertically challenged guys and gals...We are looking for a small saddle for my wife. She is 5 ft tall and around a 100 lbs. (26" waist). The only saddle we have found that looks like it might fit and be adequate for climbing is the New Tribe Ultralight. It says it fits from 23 to 32 in waists.

Does anyone have any experience with this saddle? Or does anyone know of any others that might be appropriate?

This will be primarily for "handsaw-type" pruning, so light weight is fine.

DMc

Sounds like she is right on the border of fiting into most saddle. I have a 29" waist and though finding a saddle to fit wasn't the problem but more of finding one that fit comfortably enough to work in all day long.
I wouldn't put the possiblity out of being able to sit into any saddle. Best bet would be to call/ e-mail a comapny that has a saddle she might be interested in and have them send it out to try out. They some times have slightly used saddles for customers to try. You have to put up the money for the saddle but they only do it just incase you decide to not return it. New Tribe has done this for me about a year ago so it is worth the call.

I know there will be a good selection of rock climber saddles for small peopple but I am not sure how suitable they are for tree work.

I beleive they will be much more susceptible to damage due to the focus on light weight and not durability in harsh environments however it may be worth checking on.

A question for all you vertically challenged guys and gals...We are looking for a small saddle for my wife. She is 5 ft tall and around a 100 lbs. (26" waist). The only saddle we have found that looks like it might fit and be adequate for climbing is the New Tribe Ultralight. It says it fits from 23 to 32 in waists.

Does anyone have any experience with this saddle? Or does anyone know of any others that might be appropriate?

This will be primarily for "handsaw-type" pruning, so light weight is fine.

DMc
yeah had a climber with same thing, i ended buying a wever leg strap saddle for him at wesspur they got the sizing right i think it was a small or xs

Rock climbing harness are a no go. Different stregth rating for rock climbing as well the saddle is not built to suit the needs of tree climbers. I would go with a butt strap saddle either. Had my g/f in on and she didn't like it to much.v Couldn't be in it for a long period of time.

Rock climbing harness are a no go. Different stregth rating for rock climbing as well the saddle is not built to suit the needs of tree climbers. I would go with a butt strap saddle either. Had my g/f in on and she didn't like it to much.v Couldn't be in it for a long period of time.

Thanks for the clarification. I was not entirly sure about their particulars.

I think the VI Special Saddle from New Tribe will work well for your wife. It's very comfortable, she could climb in it all day without complaint. I bought one for my wife, liked it so much I bought one for myself. My wife has a 26" waist, size Small fits perfect. It's a sturdy work saddle but has slightly scaled down D's, all the gear loops and snaps are in the right places.
-moss

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Right now we are leaning towards the New Tribe saddles. (Still comparing the Ultralight from Sherrill vs VI Special - they both look good.)

Any other helpful hints are surely appreciated.

DMc and SMc

As you probably figured out the main difference between the Ultraight and VI Special are hard and soft saddle connection points (VI = metal, Ultralight = fabric). Besides that it's the details such as snaps, loops and other accessory gear connection points on the belt.
-moss

D MC,

Ive got a small size of the saddle known as the Tree Austria. It has a floating D, side d's, independent leg straps, and is very light and comfortable.

Since im getting out of the supply business, ive got them on sale. Regularly priced from 250-275, ive got them now at $200 (+s/h).

Ive been climbing on one for about 3yrs now and I love it.

Need more info, drop me a line.

Thanks David, it's a nice looking saddle. Can you post the specs on sizing and such? Also, the square buckle on the top side of the waist belt above the legstrap attachment...was that per chance for shoulder straps?

DMc

Thanks David, it's a nice looking saddle. Can you post the specs on sizing and such? Also, the square buckle on the top side of the waist belt above the legstrap attachment...was that per chance for shoulder straps?

DMc

The small fits up to a 32" waist.

Yes, thats what the buckle is for. There is one on each side of the front and a single in the back. I never had anyone order one though and im not sure of the availability (plus I dont have one).

try wesspur

hi i have the name of a company that might have a saddle for your wife.it is called wesspur.they have any climbing saddle you could ever want. if they dont have what you are looking for then you can try cutters choice. bill howe:newbie:

We ordered an New Tribe Ultralight from Sherrill and received it this last week. It fits fairly well, the sizing was generous. (Plenty of room for coat, long johns, etc.) We'll be trying it out next week and will post our comments.

DMc/SMc

The wife tried out her New Tribe Ultralight (size small) yesterday. Looks like it is going to work just fine. I have trained several climbers but she is the first "girl" and I think I'm going to enjoy this! She actually listens to instruction regarding technique! Obviously, we could use more girl climbers!

DMc

I just read your post and see you've already purchased a harness...
For what it's worth, I'm a small female climber, 5'4", I use a small Komet Butterfly and an Edelrid Tree Magic, both fit just fine for a 26" waist.
I wish you and your wife all the best, small females make good climbers, many a day I'm glad I don't weigh much when I'm dangling out on tippy tips!

Bermie, thanks for the good wishes. I have been working with my husband for over 20 years and whereas I have trimmed trees (fruit trees and ornamentals) it has been from the ground (pole saws, ladders, etc.). I decided that I wanted to know how to do "technical" climbing using ropes, saddles, and friction hitches. What an incredible experience! I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I was pleased how easy it was to body thrust through the tree. I used a split tail configuration with distal hitch. Very smooth and secure feeling.

David is a climber of 38 years experience. There is not much out there he hasn't done. So obviously I had a lot of confidence in his instruction.

SMc

Excellent!! Welcome to life above ground, and the site! Please visit often, there is lots to learn from here...once you get past the little boys bickering!!
Now...if only I could get my hubby up in a tree, he's not keen on heights.

Feel free to contact me if you want another girl's perspective on all this, happy climbing!:biggrinbounce2:

Back