Looking for advice on getting started climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndlawrence

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys(and gals) Im wanting to get started doing some climbing as it will help me get more jobs in the long run. I've done a bunch of reading on here and need some advice on how to get started. Im going to be buying my gear a little at a time over the next few months.

I've looked at the starter kits from a few site sponsors and really can't decide on what to get. Are these kits the way to go or would it be better to buy individually?

Im not sure whether to get a Spur kit or a Rope climbing kit. Heres the pros and cons that i've been thinking:
With Spurs It will be easier climbing.
With the rope kit I will be able to practice a WHOLE lot more than with spurs because I pretty much have unlimited access to trees that I can climb as long as I'm not hurting the tree(as i would be using spurs)

I know some will suggest finding someone to train me but that is pretty much not an option around here.
What are some books/dvds that would be very helpful?

I won't be using this equipment that much maybe once every month or two(if that)

Thanks in advance for any advice or input,
Nathan

If there’s no one around to mentor you, I would suggest looking around for a formal training I know Sherrill offers week end classes all over the country thru out the year and I’m sure there are several others that do so as well. Cutting in a tree is a lot different then on the ground and a lot less forgiving. If you’re going to be removing more trees id go with spikes but that’s a preference, You can practice climbing but will need to learn how to rope, and rig.. (And find a good person to work the ropes from the ground ...it’s just as dangerous if your ground guy doesn’t know what he’s doing and could get you hurt.) There’s a lot to learn in the tree I’m still learning from how different the wood cuts when cold vs. hot when to cut slow and when to cut fast. Some of this you will find in a book but to learn from someone who has been there and done that and to be walked thru it is the safest way..... I’m sure if you look around you could probably find someone on here close to where you live that would be willing to help you out.... Best of luck

well?

make sure you get working climber by jerry beranek.watch it 10 times min.i have been cutting most of my life.but cutting in the tree is like you never had a saw in your hand before..k

Latest posts

Back