Looking for ideas for a cheap bridge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fields_mj

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
They are select logging the woods that I hunt and cut in. There's one section of the woods that they used to be able to drive into, but the lane way across the raving has developed a small gully about 3 feet wide and about 3 feet deep. I'm looking for ideas to build a bridge to go across this. It needs to be able to support a 7,000 lb truck with a cord of wood in the bed. The only thing I can think of right now is to use some of the large limbs from the leftover timber (tree tops) as runners, maybe even putting them so close together that they almost touch, and then screw/bolt 2x lumber across the tops to keep them from separating and allowing the wheels to slide in between. For that matter, I wouldn't need a bridge that was 8' wide. I could make two of them that are only 2 or 3 foot wide. One for each set of tires.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

I built one across my stream using telephone poles, 2 of them set on top of blocks and 3/4 stone with 2x6's screwed on top with lag bolts and 2x4's on edge screwed in underneath to keep the middle from bouncing when walked on, that thing can handle anything just kept the poles the same width apart as the wheel base on my truck. Old telephone poles are easy to get and will not rot, I found mine on the street, it was a left over from the new road on which I live on, all I did was ask the builder for it, I see them laying around all over.

I built one across my stream using telephone poles, 2 of them set on top of blocks and 3/4 stone with 2x6's screwed on top with lag bolts and 2x4's on edge screwed in underneath to keep the middle from bouncing when walked on, that thing can handle anything just kept the poles the same width apart as the wheel base on my truck. Old telephone poles are easy to get and will not rot, I found mine on the street, it was a left over from the new road on which I live on, all I did was ask the builder for it, I see them laying around all over.

This is basically what I was thinking of doing only using some oak logs left in the tree tops. I figured I would put 3 or 4 of them down per side that are about 8" in diameter. Since I'm probably only going to make it about 6' long, it shouldn't take much wood. Then deck both sides with 2x lumber just to keep it all held together. Maybe even slab off the sides of the logs a little so that they are more like a beam and I can get them closer together. I just don't want to drop one of my axles down into that hole. That would suck. The gully/wash just is big enough that my ATV doesn't stratle it, but if it were not a 4x4, I don't think I'd be able to cross it.

Once you lay telephone poles in a horizontal position they will begin to rot as the water finds its way down into the cracks in the wood. If it is just temporary to get the wood out (i.e. 1-2 years) I would just use the logs on site. You may find it helpful to scab a board down the outside to keep the boards from bouncing and working loose. A buddy of mine had his farm logged and they spanned a 40' river this way and brought a tandem truck loaded with logs across it.

If you are looking for something more permanent, consider getting some scrap I beam and you will never have to replace the runners again. Deck it with 2" thick boards that you treat with oil or a preservative.

Is this a one time deal or would you use them somewhere else later? If so, I'd use steel and essentially make two 8-10 ft long loading ramps, like used on a trailer. lay them down for this spot, move them later. If they were only 16-24 wide, you could probably move them by hand.

i would just cut the trees as long as you need for length, then deck it with smaller trees 6 - 8" average diameter and lash it down with wire ( 14 gauge wire tsc store) dont spend a bunch on bolts etc.if you bury the ends of the logs on the banks it shouldn't move.it doesn't sound like it will be that long a span so if you use four 12" diameter logs as runners it should be fine.just dont hit it at 60 mph.:cheers:

Last edited:
I looked at some property for sale once that had an old truck frame as a bridge across a creek. Looked like the frame to a standard 1/2 ton truck, with deck board on it. The frame width was the same as the wheels on the old IH that the guy drove across it. Using timbers would also work for that short of a span. Just be carefull to watch for deterioration as time goes by.

I had that problem on my property. I happened to have a pile of old cement blocks. I laid them side by side,holes to holes. I made the first row wider then needed about 10 feet the next row about 9 feet and so on. Until I got to the height I needed. The last row was about 8 foot by the width of the creek. Just make yours accordingly. I filled in around it with dirt. The holes lined up from block to block supply great drainage and act like drain tile or drain pipe.I have had it in for years never had a problem with it works great.

heres a kicker--tp will rot--and sometimes from the inside out!!! seen it..it looks solid,,but take a screwdriver to it,,punk wood--soooo,check the poles u use--

go down to your county shop and ask them for a used culvert. they will give you a 10 or 12 culvert that "isn't the best" but will work i'll bet. hell a new one is only 3 or 4 hundred bucks through the county.

I would just fill the ditch with logs and drive over them instead of making a bridge. I have did this and drove concrete trucks across ditches.

plus, when your done, you pull the logs back out, and cut them up with an old chain (they will be muddy) and no one is the wiser.

Find a 12'X24" corrugated metal pipe. Set it in the bottom of the ravine with a good bed below it. Backfill over top with a mix of large and small rocks with smaller ones on top for a nice surface, the large ones are so it wont wash if the water gets really high. This is really easy and you can do it by yourself, and holds a lot of weight.

I had a tractor logger here needing the same thing. He needed to drive a 4000 Ford With a large PTO winch and frontend loader a cross a 5 to 6 foot hole. It had to be tractor removable and portable but tough. I found an old 9 car car hauler for 600 dollars. I brought it home and tool the top ramp a 9 foot secton and made a removable tongue and a set of pin on wheels to roll it. used his winch and a snatch block to pull it across the gully. Hauled many a loads over it in the last 7 years.

Latest posts

Back