Looking for ideas for a cheap bridge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This needs to be some what temporary. I've thought about just filling it with logs, but I've tried that before and every spring the logs get washed down hill when a good rain comes. So, no I don't get to cut them up later, AND I've got to drag more logs down to fill it back up again, AND the wash has gotten a lot bigger from where the water had to go around the logs. It's okay for a few months, but not much more, and it really leaves a big mess.

I think the idea of making a few timbers from the logs will work best. Quick, cheap, durable, and I can still cut them up for firewood when I'm done if I want to.

A culvert would be best, but like I said, this is going to be temporary. 18 months tops, but most likely 6 to 9 months.

had the exact same problem on my property. I used a culvert and filled over it - been there a year and still looks/ functions great. Just ensure you feather the earth so the water doesn't pool right over your culvert. I used a rock/ gravel bed (from the creek) , then culvert, then dirt. Way cheaper and less labor than a bridge and no rot concerns.

Try to get some used railroad ties. I work for the railroad and they are always happy to give them away as long as you get the right permission. I wouldn't use them for firewood when I'm done though. they are usually 8 - 10 inches thick and made from white oak soaked in creosote. I have some 16 feet long that I found by digging through some piles. They are extremely heavy so take some help if you go that route. Hope this helps, hard to beat free.

Not without some serious equipment.

If the property were mine, I would put in a culvert, but it's not. The land owner doesn't seem to have any interest in it, which is okay with me, so I'm wanting to do something that will not have any lasting negative effect if I take it back out.

I still think that it will be easiest to take some logs and make a few timbers out of them and use those.

You could snag a chainsaw mill and mill some of the cull logs and make a bridge. Slice a big log in half for the support beams and then use smaller cull logs for rough cut board for the top. Would be a fun project and sturdy. That is what the loggers do around here.

If you want cheap and temporary, just cut the ends out of 55 gal barrels and fill gravel in around and on top of them. You could get by with two and place them where your tracks are going to be or weld three together to make it a solid roadbed on top, around here you can get the 55 gal drums for 7 or 8 bucks apiece. It will rust in and collaspe in 7-10 years, but you want something cheap and short term here it is.

If you want cheap and temporary, just cut the ends out of 55 gal barrels and fill gravel in around and on top of them. You could get by with two and place them where your tracks are going to be or weld three together to make it a solid roadbed on top, around here you can get the 55 gal drums for 7 or 8 bucks apiece. It will rust in and collaspe in 7-10 years, but you want something cheap and short term here it is.

That would be great if I had a front end loader or skid steer that I could use to haul the gravel the two miles back to this particular spot. Two miles is about as close as they would be able to get a tri-axle to this spot. If it were my farm, I'd do this only I'd use an actual culvert.

That would be great if I had a front end loader or skid steer that I could use to haul the gravel the two miles back to this particular spot. Two miles is about as close as they would be able to get a tri-axle to this spot. If it were my farm, I'd do this only I'd use an actual culvert.

with rock/ gravel out of the equation - Almost sounds like you're limited to timbers/ poles/ RR ties.

If youre not going to buy any thing I would just get some locust logs about 10 feet long and lay down in the ditch until it fills in the void. It will suprise you how long it will stay there. If rain did push them out they will not go far.

Back