Looking for ideas for cutting up 8 foot logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldfront

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a log pile of 8 footers stacked about 10 feet high, right now I am sliding them off the pile on to the ground and cutting them up. It is hard on the back and I am always afraid of accidentally hitting the ground with the chain. I don't have one of those "timber jacks" I think they are called that you hook on and cam them over so they are raised off the ground. I usually just lift the log and stick a smaller round under the long log while I cut, but it is a pain in the ass, you always get where the bar gets pinched in the log if you don't constantly keep moving the prop log. I am thinking of making some type of saw horse set up to slide the logs up on to make for easy cutting without having to bend over to far. I was thinking of maybe 3 or 4 saw horses with a roller on top so once you get the log on you just roll it down as you cut off the pieces. Does anyone have any ideas for a design? If you have something like this could you post a picture of it. I will keep working on my own idea, if I come up with something good I will share it here.

Idea

Take a few of your 10' ers and lay them out, say about 6 or 8, then roll a few of the others on top of them. Crank up and cut. Toss the blocks out, re-load.

It is still slow, but atleast you keep the chain out of the dirt.

A timber jack would be the cat's meow on this one. Be careful about pulling stuff off so that you don't upset the pile (ouch).

-Pat

To keep the chain out of the dirt I will usually make my cuts about 3/4 of the way through the log and then roll it and finish the cuts from the top.:cheers:

Just roll them all out on the ground everywhere there is a space for a log. So you have a zillion logs scattered all over the place and enough room between them so you won't hit another log with the saw when sawing.

Then take a 32" bar saw and saw them about 3/4 the way through for each cut (and because it is a long bar saw, you can stand erect - no bending!), then roll the log over and finish the cuts. No hitting the ground when sawing this way. Then on to the next log.

When they are all cut up, go around with a wheelbarrow and pick up all the pieces.

Take a few of your 10' ers and lay them out, say about 6 or 8, then roll a few of the others on top of them. Crank up and cut. Toss the blocks out, re-load.

It is still slow, but atleast you keep the chain out of the dirt.

A timber jack would be the cat's meow on this one. Be careful about pulling stuff off so that you don't upset the pile (ouch).

-Pat

:agree2: Three or 4 on the ground butted up against the end of the stack and several on top waiting to get cut up. A few rounds might have to be cut from the bottom to keep from pinching the bar but they will be a foot off the ground so theres plenty of clearance under them. Gets them closer to you so there is less bending over.

I have the same problem of tall log piles. If you have some way of stringing a cable between two trees you could do it the way I do it.

First step

View attachment 77259

Second step

View attachment 77260

Third step

View attachment 77261

It helps to "V" notch the bucking support logs to keep the log that you are bucking from rolling and I use a wedge to prevent the saw from getting pinched in the cut. Using this system goes pretty fast and Safe. :cheers:

ALSO no problems with grounding the saw ....just dirty logs :cry:

To keep the chain out of the dirt, I will usually make my cuts about 3/4 of the way through the log and then roll it and finish the cuts from the top.:cheers:
+1! I go to about 7/8 through rather that 3/4, carefully looking for a bind. Other than that, this is the best possible advice that you can receive for handling logs that are only 8' long. Dusty has it altogether. :chainsaw:

I would put em off the pile with a truck or atv. Then use a Logrite peavey with a stand. You can get the whole shabang for about $150. It will last you and your kids' kids a lifetime. Pic attached.

When I'm cutting 3,4 or 5 ft logs or smaller branches, I take 2 ea. 4-6 or 8 inch diameter pole logs the same length or a little longer as the logs I'm cutting, lay em on the ground next to each other length wise then secure them with a 2 foot by 6 inch piece of plywood at each end (I use deck screws). Once the logs are secure I turn the logs over so the ply wood is on the bottom.

When I'm ready to start cutting, I lay logs or branches down the center of the secured logs and cut them easily on ground level or raised on a few rounds so I'm not bending over so much.

I leave the bark on the 2 logs I use so they are rough and hold onto what ever I'm cutting. It works great especially for little PIA stuff. I think you could do the same for larger logs. Nice thing is you can cut right through the log your bucking and the whole log is supported so pinching the bar is less likely. And if you use a rig like this you'll be off the dirt!

I usually go the whole season using the same set up, by the end it's ready for the wood pile and I make a new one when I need it.

Just something I came up with. Maybe it'll help you.

I'll post a pic if anyone's interested.

Latest posts

Back