Technique to cut up huge log full on ground (no space under)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douggg

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

I have one of those grapple bars...to help get a log off the ground. But this log is over 15 feet and 28 inch diameter. I am thinking there is no way i could move it.

What is best technique for me to follow to cut it up for firewood?

Thanks

You should be able to roll it with a cant hook. If not cut one manageable piece and wedge it on top to keep from pinching. you should be able to find a space somewhere.

20230615_070224.jpg

20230616_074921.jpg

20230619_065826.jpg

20230607_135016.jpg

Crosscut down near the ground then brake it off with the grapple. Also look into a cant hook/peavey.

We try to drop the big trees on other smaller trees, if possible.
Ooops. I used the wrong term. I do have a cant hook/peavey. I don't have a grapple. But my concern is i can't lift/move it with my cant hook because it is so large. Is the right technique to cut almost to ground, and then try to lift the portion with the cant hook where it should break at the cut?

Cut far as you can without hitting dirt, roll over with cant hook and cut what is left. if you can't roll it find a space in the middle and if no air is under it, use a shovel to get you a little space. then cut through. but hammer a plastic wedge down from the top to keep from pinching your saw. you should be able to roll it cut in half. but it should roll at 15 foot if you have a decent cant hook.

Usually it's less effort for me to roll a log than to lift it. I don't even use the log lifter attachment for my cant hook, just roll to where I can finish the cuts.

If you can't roll the log, make a cut near the middle and run the chain all the way down after digging out the loose dirt in the chains path by hand. You will probably rock the chain but you should be able to roll either of the two resulting halves with the cant hook. Bring a second chain or a file. Of course you'll want to wedge the log so it doesn't pinch the bar.

Supposedly driving wedges into the top of the kerf when its mostly cut through will cause the log to lift up a bit but I'm not sure how well that works with a tree that big.

If it is full on the ground just cut it all the way and leave just a tag holding it, cut the whole tree up like this then you can use the cant hook to move the blocks or use the tip of the saw to cut the remaining tags holding the cut. Me, I would just cut the block all the way, pull the saw back and cut the tag with the tip. If you have a cut that would pinch just use a wedge.

Supposedly driving wedges into the top of the kerf when its mostly cut through will cause the log to lift up a bit but I'm not sure how well that works with a tree that big.
It does indeed work. 28" isn't a particularly large log really.

OP, can you get a machine or vehicle anywhere near the the log? If you truly can't roll it with a peavey/cant hook, (which would be surprising), you can get a big lag bolt and drill it in low on the side of the log opposite the vehicle. Make all of your cuts as low as you reasonably can and then wrap a chain on that lag bolt and roll the log over by pulling gently on it. Shouldn't take much force at all unless you've got a branch or something preventing the log from rolling.

I have always been pleased with my Woodchuck Peavey. Seems to cope well with the size of log you mention

If the log is any bigger!

If you are sawing on the ground perhaps a couple of pieces of plywood slipped under the log on either side of the cut would prevent contact with the dirt, if you intend to cut it into more manageable lengths

Cut about 3/4 thru the log then drive a steel wedge into the cut until it raises up off the ground then finish your cut. Just be careful not to hit your wedge when you get thru.
I had the same problem with a 32” dia beech tree. I dug a hole about 14” deep under the log and used a 20 ton bottle jack to raise the log off the ground. A smaller jack would work but that was only back I had at the time.

I have always been pleased with my Woodchuck Peavey. Seems to cope well with the size of log you mention

If the log is any bigger!

If you are sawing on the ground perhaps a couple of pieces of plywood slipped under the log on either side of the cut would prevent contact with the dirt, if you intend to cut it into more manageable lengths

I see Europeans aren't much on PPE either....

Well if you are having trouble with this situation how about cutting each 95 percent thorough then go back and cut them all through slowly and very carefully keeping the base of the saw on the ground. This way if the chain gets ruined you still dont have a lot to cut through when its dull and it wont jam up.

Ooops. I used the wrong term. I do have a cant hook/peavey. I don't have a grapple. But my concern is i can't lift/move it with my cant hook because it is so large. Is the right technique to cut almost to ground, and then try to lift the portion with the cant hook where it should break at the cut?
Yes if you have some firewood length cuts almost to the ground, a cant hook should break it.

Others have given good advise to use a wedge and/or dig out underneath until you get manageable lengths.

You aren't going to lift it, only roll it. Do you have a winch on your truck? Cant hook, 6' tree strap and winch will roll pretty much any log. Make sure to loop the strap around the metal portion of the hook, hot the end of the handle.

Latest posts

Back