Big hung up pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes distance is safer.
If it is in N. New England, the ground is frozen deep now and when you cut pennys off the butt using care as described above, it should slide sideways easily with mechanical (winch, tractor or skidder) help. If you pull it laterally far enough it'll pull out of the crotch and down.

even when you think you are good at aiming these beasts

To Bob, the original poster,
First, welcome to AS, we are glad you are here. Second, thank you for recognizing you were in over your head, and reaching out for support, it speaks well of you. As I am sure you have realized, this sort of situation in the woods is graded on a very steep curve... pretty much pass/fail... simple, really...
As you can see, the general consensus at this point for your experience level is to clear around the butt, and use either equipment or mechanical advantage attached to a good anchor point to such it back out of the mess. With better pictures can come better advice.
The next question you should ask yourself is is it really worth saving a hundred bucks or two to gain this experience firsthand? Most of us pros saw this situation handled by our mentors multiple times before we ever attacked it on our own. The name "widowmaker" didn't come to be used by accident. Just a point to ponder...
Regards, Jeff
Best advice here. The most important thing is to realize when you are outside your experience level. We don't have enough information to estimate that of the OP. My choice from what I can see is to involve heavy equipment.

While there are several ways to skin this cat, every one of them has some danger involved.

It looks like undercuts will do it maybe taking as much as 4ft. or more at a time.

I've used chains and cables pulling 90° to the trunk to keep the trunk....when it folds...from coming towards the sawyer's feet.

It takes time to set up for each undercut but it is time well spent.

In my opinion, this is not a good tree to be learning such techniques, as this tree is quite hazardous.

Back