Big hung up pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When those have had a few undercuts and it gets close to standing up, I pull them back off the snag/hangup with a come-along/snatch block.

Also have to be careful with undercuts you don't plant your foot/leg when the tree breaks free.
Can't tell for sure from the photo, but it doesn't look like it will stand back up even after a couple undercuts. The top may hang in the tree it's stuck in, or it may flop over, top-down, on the other side of the tree it's stuck in.

Would still be good to have a line on it in case it does wedge hungup.

To eliminate the line, you can always pie-cut a tree and flop it back over. However, this tree doesn't seem like a candidate for success with that, nor should the OP likely try that.

And pinched bars, the real problem is when he gets to the critical point if the top will flip or get stuck. You don't want to be anywhere near under it!
Not if done correctly. Yes, at some point you may need other equipment. I've done a lot of these, some small, some 3'+ diameter with a 42" bar.

Depends on how hung up it is and how it is moving if it loads up then it may fly a bit ,I can't imagine that whole thing flying like a rocket from a come along.
It depends on where the main tension load is. I've had at least one shoot out several feet but we were well prepared for it and out of the danger zone.

I don't. But I have a 5-ton ratcheting chain come-along, cables, and a snatch block.

The one I won't mess with are the ones with dead tops/eab killed ash
I just bought a nice used Caterpillar skid with 5 attachments! I just tried the rotary broom on my Asphalt driveway for sand, it works super.

I can't gainsay the pros but it seems more dangerous to make another cut than to tug on it with a come-along. Have enough chain or cable to be 25+ft away, you should be fine.
You have to reduce as much weight as possible to do that, hence the undercuts. Otherwise the butt will just dig in. Even my 9000# winch and 2 blocks have been useless in certain circumstances. I'm assuming this is firewood. If for lumber then a skid of some sort with some serious size is needed. Or, leave it and let nature take care of it.

You have to reduce as much weight as possible to do that, hence the undercuts. Otherwise the butt will just dig in. Even my 9000# winch and 2 blocks have been useless in certain circumstances. I'm assuming this is firewood. If for lumber then a skid of some sort with some serious size is needed. Or, leave it and let nature take care of it.

I've did a ~3/4 undercut then hooked the chains/cable above the cut. The butt won't dig in when it snaps. Pull it sideways. Do it a few times and often the top/snag will release.

Truck or tractor and a long rope is what I’d do. But be careful. Reason I have lots of chain, rope, and pull straps.

Need more pics!
From the one it looks to be hung up to the right.
Get a line up as far as possible with the rope on top of the trunk and snugged as far around the right as possible. The idea is to roll to tree to the left. run it to a block 90 degrees to the left and pull/roll it.
This assumes he butt end is free of the stump which I can’t see.

To Bob, the original poster,
First, welcome to AS, we are glad you are here. Second, thank you for recognizing you were in over your head, and reaching out for support, it speaks well of you. As I am sure you have realized, this sort of situation in the woods is graded on a very steep curve... pretty much pass/fail... simple, really...
As you can see, the general consensus at this point for your experience level is to clear around the butt, and use either equipment or mechanical advantage attached to a good anchor point to such it back out of the mess. With better pictures can come better advice.
The next question you should ask yourself is is it really worth saving a hundred bucks or two to gain this experience firsthand? Most of us pros saw this situation handled by our mentors multiple times before we ever attacked it on our own. The name "widowmaker" didn't come to be used by accident. Just a point to ponder...
Regards, Jeff

Back