Big hung up pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Laperriere

Reaction score
Hi, I have cut "down" a big long straight healthy white pine that landed just exactly where I did not want it to. It's about 70 feet long , and 17 inches in diameter at the cut and angled at 45 degrees in an open space but hung up in the crotch of a huge poplar. If hinged to land 5 feet either way I was home free but today was my day to learn how that there's no guarantees even when you think you are good at aiming these beasts .

Attachments

• 20240206_171348.jpg
    20240206_171348.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
Hi, I have cut "down" a big long straight healthy white pine that landed just exactly where I did not want it to. It's about 70 feet long , and 17 inches in diameter at the cut and angled at 45 degrees in an open space but hung up in the crotch of a huge poplar. If hinged to land 5 feet either way I was home free but today was my day to learn how that there's no guarantees even when you think you are good at aiming these beasts .
It's fun guessing location by the tree species and "feel" of the woods. I guess northern New England. We have a red spruce leaner on our property, just a bit smaller than that, that I'm waiting to come down. But it's not threatening anything (and I didn't do it <g>).

Keep cutting chunks off the bottom until it falls out of the fork. Be prepared to run for your life with every cut.

Myself, I'd rig a rope in the top of the snagged tree so as to pull it out before it fell on me. Otheriwise, you should probably find a very skilled climber with experience at cutting these things down.

Only with a lot of separation. Without being on site, it's impossible to say what forces are in play here. Once it releases, that butt could come flying back.
Depends on how hung up it is and how it is moving if it loads up then it may fly a bit ,I can't imagine that whole thing flying like a rocket from a come along.

Depends on how hung up it is and how it is moving if it loads up then it may fly a bit ,I can't imagine that whole thing flying like a rocket from a come along.
Exactly, impossible to say without being on-site. Depending on how many spring poles and branches are bent under tension, I've seen butts fly back 10 or 15 feet when the butt is freed. Not often, but often enough to be a concern.

Exactly, impossible to say without being on-site. Depending on how many spring poles and branches are bent under tension, I've seen butts fly back 10 or 15 feet when the butt is freed. Not often, but often enough to be a concern.
I know this situation even gives guys that been doing it for years some trouble ! I caution the OP, this can be dangerous!

Pulling it out with a come-along or a piece of machinery or even a truck would be the safest and keep you out of harms way as long as your far enough away when it comes out .
Without some experience I'd probably use some undercuts as a last resort.

Ernie

And pinched bars, the real problem is when he gets to the critical point if the top will flip or get stuck. You don't want to be anywhere near under it!

When those have had a few undercuts and it gets close to standing up, I pull them back off the snag/hangup with a come-along/snatch block.

Also have to be careful with undercuts you don't plant your foot/leg when the tree breaks free.

Back