Looking for insert sugestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Paul Sanborn

Above average climber
Reaction score
We have an old fireplace that I would like to put an insert in.

My plumber will put in a double wall flue liner for ~$400.

Our house is less then 1500sqft and we would only be heating the lower level.

There is no power near the hearth. Are there good convection inserts, or is it better to get the blower and have an outlet run to that wall?

I do not have $3000 to put to this project, so the high end units .

front width ~31
front Hight ~16
Bottom depth ~19

We have an old fireplace that I would like to put an insert in.

My plumber will put in a double wall flue liner for ~$400.

Our house is less then 1500sqft and we would only be heating the lower level.

There is no power near the hearth. Are there good convection inserts, or is it better to get the blower and have an outlet run to that wall?

I do not have $3000 to put to this project, so the high end units .

front width ~31
front Hight ~16
Bottom depth ~19

Most inserts are convection heaters but you just won't get as much heat from them without a blower. If money is tight, look at Home Depot or Lowes for an Englander stove, they are under $1k. Any local Hearth shops in your area? Find one and go in and ask questions and see what they recommend.

You should have your chimney cleaned and inspected before installing an insert. Contact a chimney sweep, they may be able to safely install your insert for you.

Is this double wall flue liner your plumber putting in stainless steel? If he is thinking regular stove pipe for a liner in your chimney it's a bad idea. It will rust out in 1 season. You can buy 25' stainless liner kit online for under $400.

Also contact your insurance company and see what they require. You'll probably have to pull a permit and get it inspected.

Yes, there is a specific flex liner made for the insert to go down a conventional chimney. The double wall stuff is a no no. Besides, how will you get it past the bend in the smoke shelf (the reason they make a flex liner).

You can pick up kits that have everything you need. You should also insulate the liner, but that is an added cost, you need to check the manufacturer of the liner as some require the insulation. Personally, I think it makes for a better set up, especially if your chimney is on an outside wall.

Good advise about getting your current chimney cleaned and inspected as well.

Like suggested, the Englander is a good unit for the money. Just be careful some are not worth anything but scrap metal Vozelgang or something like that is questionable.

The blower is a big big plus. You will get so much more heat out of it. Well worth running some romex and an outlet. Personally I would not get one without a bower. Variable speed is nice also.

Just an FYI, not only do you need to worry about the firebox dimensions, but also the location of the flu collar on the insert itself. Some inserts might not fit your fireplace because the flu collar is either to far back of to far forward (based on how your fireplace was made). May not be a big deal, but something you need to consider (I almost bought a unit that would not fit because of this-had to get an entirely different one). They do make adapters that MIGHT work, but better to not even go that route. The adapters reduce the flow/efficiency somewhat.

Finally, check out the Napolean, if I remember correctly, the prices are reasonable as well. Also check out this website. All you questions have already been answered (if you search):

http://www.**********/econtent/index.php/forums/

Good luck, KD

16" is awfully short for a fireplace opening height, are you sure that's the correct measurement? If so, you are going to be very limited by your options.

Im thinking theres a smoke plate/barrier thing hanging into the opening. I would wait till you picked out a stove to put in your liner as most stoves made now require a certain size liner. Using the wrong size will mess up the draft in numerous ways.

Buy the best EPA stove you can afford and make sure it has a fan, inserts are nearly useless without them. For the size your looking at you would probably spend 2-2.5K installed with the liner ,but in the long run youll be glad you did.

whew, good, you've got lots of options then. I hear you on the expense. Yes it's expensive, but if you can get wood for free or cheap, it starts paying for itself right away. Also, consider time of year for buying. Last year at the end of the season Lowe's 50% discounted their stove stock, and many stove shops might also give a deal on display models - that's how I got mine, saved around $300. Good luck.

I have an insert suggestion for you but it would probably get me banned!:D

For your purposes you are going to be spending 2-3 grand. With a blower you will make your money back in a couple of years. An alternative may be one of the hearth heater styles, which is sort of a hybrid between a full insert and a stand alone woodstove. That would allow for for more ambient heating but some sort of circulating fan would still be in order, just not necesarily on the unit itself.

Hello,
Husky 137 is right on the money. Forget about an insert.....go with a Regency Hearthstove. Now I don't know how much of a hearth you have projecting out from the fireplace, but you will get sooooo much more heat and performance from a Regency Hearthstove. You will need to have an electrical outlet installed because the optional fan attachment is a must. Even though the stove is completely out in the room, it still needs a fan to push the air away from it. I have had one for 9 years and it works real nice. Hope this might help.

Basso

Good advice on the liner AND the stove configuration. Getting back in the FP saves a lot of room in front and keeps ashes/coals that much farther from the rug/floor.

Absolutely find out where the liner will be coming down and get a compatible insert. A top flu will get you back the farthest.

Buck inserts are great! I don't have a model in mind, but the 81 might do for you...maybe a little large. More expensive than Lowes though, probably about $1400, but a much heavier unit. My 91 is the biggest, 4 cubic feet, and heats 2500 SF down to about 20F. You can really pack 'em for long burns and they are tough enough to run without the fan if power fails. Use a fan, even if you have to run an extension cord for a while. Look at the online catalog and then look for online sellers, as well as local stores. Mine came from an Ace Hardware, discounted a bit.

Be sure to seal around the liner where it goes through the old damper operning, to help draft and keep out cold air. You can use a sheet metal plate, but I just packed fiberglass insulation around mine.

Let us know what you find and don't forget to look for used. A good stove, properly operated, lasts a long time. Look in the paper, trader sheets, Craigslist, etc. I've seen good inserts just about given away.

Forget "Insert", Get A Wood Stove

JPS: another JMHO here from too many years 100% wood heating.

Forget an "insert" with a blower: it makes noise, won't work with power out, is an add-on to a lower grade wood stove ( flame time:buttkick: ), and with 24/7 operation burn out too damn often.

Move the stove out from the hearth ( extend the hearth out a foot or so? ) into the room where you want the heat both radiant and convective. Where is the family going to spend the most time ? Around the stove ?

Looking at wood stoves rather than "inserts" only,opens up your options including good stoves like Jotul, Hearthstone, Morso, Pacific Energy, Woodstock Soapstone..... Dealers often get new stoves in that were returned, or "chips and dents". Get a good EPA rated stove--I like catalytics for the efficiency. We have both a cat and non-cat.

Want to move hot air around the house ? :popcorn: Get a "muffin fan" the kind used in computers: small, efficient, quiet to say, put in a door way, or stairwell.

Above post is right on about SS liner--worth the $$$. Make sure that the fireplace throat and chimney top are well sealed. If you use a flex pipe, be sure that the inside is smooth lined for easy cleaning.

Bill is in the mail. :clap:

John Paul : I have a country comfort and a vermont castings.The country comfort is a steel and brick stove .It out heats the Vermont castings.Some one said it right get a free standing stove . it will blow you out of your shop

JP, I would suggest calling all the shops with in a decent driving distance and ask them if they are replacing anybody's wood burning insert with a gas one. Or if they are upgrading anyones. This is certainly the time of year for it. This is what I did and got a steal on a perfectly good Regency insert for $150 last year. The guy even refinished it for me before I picked it up. I went ahead and installed a SS flex liner, and I'd only consider myself a handy-man (I did borrow a cone to pull the liner down from a friend). So for under $500 I had the whole thing set up, and I made that (and then some) back easily in one season.

It pays to network!

Here's a picture, and a link to the thread I had going about a SS liner, hope that helps some!

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=37951

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back