Looking for mill in VA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richmond Millers

If no one speaks up, maybe check with the guys at Automatic Saw Filing, but they know someone who hobbys.

who are they and how can they help me and what is there info....thanks for the response.......any help is great!

richmond mill

Automatic saw filing is a saw shop down on Jeff Davis Hwy. They are a servicing Stilhl dealer. They do some mod work in their shop too. They also do blade sharpenning of most types. From run of the mill woodshop stuff to industrial band saws and the like. I guess what I'm suggesting is, chances are they sharpenned a band or two for a miller or two in the area. I bet if you drop in or give them a call theymight have a name or two for you. They're in the book. I haven't been down there in a while, but a lot of folks like them better than Arthurs up on Brook rd. Just my 2 pennies, B.

Do you want someone with a CSM to just slab them up, or do you want someone who will get the most out of them, and saw them for the "best" grade???? There's a big difference between those two.

Rob

The main log is 34" @ the butt x 144" and then I have top sections and large branches. I am located off of Brookfield Rd 23227 295/95 split. I am looking for table slabs and what ever else. I just build stuff and by no means am an expert on sawing. That why I am here for advice :D

At the Woodmizer and Timberking websites you can find a sawmill owner.

If you're looking for table slabs, I'd come down and saw for shares of the slabs. Just SEAL THE ENDS QUICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did that tree come from Semmes Ave?? I went by & drilled into it; I thought it was too soft to drop without a crane, but apparently I was wrong......Oh well.

I'm a little busy lately, but I'm more than willing to come down & saw it up. Check your PM box.

Metal in the butt log

FYI, in picture walnut1, I see a blue dot at the bottom. This tells me that there is iron in the tree. Either below or above this spot. Best be scanning that log with a metal detector and/or be prepared to resharpen/replace some mill blades.

I thought you said you weren't a woodworker! I see a sweet new Powermatic in the background behind those nice looking slabs! I'll bet the big ones were fun moving. I have some 12/4 honey locust slabs that I needed a couple people to help me with when they were wet. Sorry again about the drill hole in the side there. I'm glad that someone kept that tree from becoming firewood. I still wish it had been me, but I'm glad you got some GREAT looking slabs. There's a recipie somewhere on this forum for a boric acid/borate/ethylene glycol based antifungal/insecticidal solution that I'd think about getting on those slabs while they're still wet, unless you're kiln drying them. I remember seeing a lot of insect activity under the bark. From what I've read here and on another woodworking forum, you don't need to worry about staining from the ethylene glycol (antifreeze) base for the solution. The pieces I've treated are still too wet to plane, so I can't personally say to the color thing. The walnut shouldn't show up staining anyway. I'd just use the orange antifreeze.

Latest posts

Back