Looking for my first saw...need advice...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biscuit141

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am a landowner looking for my first saw. I would like a versitile saw that will last me a long time. It would mostly be used for trimming tree branches, downed branches and cutting firewood, but I do have a tree to take down this spring and a trunk to cut down. I have been browsing here for the past few days trying to get some info but I am feeling overwhelmed. Each manufacturer has so many different models that I don't know where to start. It seems that weight versus displacement is key.

Anyway, I would like to buy used to save some money and have been watching my local craigslist. i seem to have it narrowed to either a Stihl or Husqvarna, but maybe Echo also. It seems these three will last the longest with regular maintenance.

Here are a few of the saws for sale in my area and the prices. Please let me know if any of these would be a good saw for my needs and if the price if good.

Echo CS-510 20" bar - $250
Echo CS-520 - $325 (Includes chainsaw, carrying case, extra chain, all OEM equipment and manuals)
Husqvarna 357 XP chainsaw 18" bar/chain - $350
Husqvarna 455 Rancher 18" - $200
Husqvarna 350 new 16" bar - $225 (two new chains and a bar cover)
Husqvarna Model 50 18" - $250
Husqvarna Model 55 20" - make an offer
Stihl MS250C - no price given
Stihl MS210C 16" - $225

I don't mind paying a bit more for the right saw that will last me for awhile, but I just want to buy one that fits my needs and is a fair price.

Thanks in advance.

??? Is this a trick? I thought from what I read here they will never last?

that poulan will last.
just don't expect any of the other new poulans to follow suit.
the 330 is a great choice. one that i'd take over all the ones you mentioned.

though,
i maintain that given your needs and your list i'd try an echo 510.

that poulan will last.
just don't expect any of the other new poulans to follow suit.
the 330 is a great choice. one that i'd take over all the ones you mentioned.

though,
i maintain that given your needs and your list i'd try an echo 510.

What do you mean by "New poulans"? Is the 330 not a new model? or is it the only new model worth anything? Neither TSC's and Poulan's website list a Poulan 330 Pro.

The Echo does have my attention because the seller says its like new condition, and from the pictures he sent he's right. Would this be a better choice over the Poulan for serviceability?

What do you mean by "New poulans"? Is the 330 not a new model? or is it the only new model worth anything? Neither TSC's and Poulan's website list a Poulan 330 Pro.

The Echo does have my attention because the seller says its like new condition, and from the pictures he sent he's right. Would this be a better choice over the Poulan for serviceability?

The 330 comes with a 2 yr warranty! Of course if you stay here on AS we will VOID IT!

I like the Husqvarna 55 but the 20" bar is a bit much for it IMHO. That said it's an older saw and will need to be worked on from time to time and may well be a worn out POS right now. I say a Poulan 330 will serve your mentioned task list too. I ain't stepping off in a hole by saying anything bad about any saw on that list...but the 357 xp is the best of that bunch.

taxmantoo has answered too. :)

the 330 is sold brand new in the box at stores. but it was actually manufactured in 2007 (as i recall). it is built along the lines of older, we built poulans. pretty much everything else that says poulan on it in a store today is garbage.

you won't find anything about it on the website. you need to look in the store. some tsc stores have them and some don't.

If the 357 is in REAL nice shape you cant go wrong..
i have one,hate to admit it,i love it..
got a 455 and two 350's,,no comparison..(ones on your list)..have others too but that 357 is a sweetheart..

Hello everyone. I am a landowner looking for my first saw. I would like a versitile saw that will last me a long time. It would mostly be used for trimming tree branches, downed branches and cutting firewood, but I do have a tree to take down this spring and a trunk to cut down. I have been browsing here for the past few days trying to get some info but I am feeling overwhelmed. Each manufacturer has so many different models that I don't know where to start. It seems that weight versus displacement is key.

Anyway, I would like to buy used to save some money and have been watching my local craigslist. i seem to have it narrowed to either a Stihl or Husqvarna, but maybe Echo also. It seems these three will last the longest with regular maintenance.

Here are a few of the saws for sale in my area and the prices. Please let me know if any of these would be a good saw for my needs and if the price if good.

Echo CS-510 20" bar - $250
Echo CS-520 - $325 (Includes chainsaw, carrying case, extra chain, all OEM equipment and manuals)
Husqvarna 357 XP chainsaw 18" bar/chain - $350
Husqvarna 455 Rancher 18" - $200
Husqvarna 350 new 16" bar - $225 (two new chains and a bar cover)
Husqvarna Model 50 18" - $250
Husqvarna Model 55 20" - make an offer
Stihl MS250C - no price given
Stihl MS210C 16" - $225

I don't mind paying a bit more for the right saw that will last me for awhile, but I just want to buy one that fits my needs and is a fair price.

Thanks in advance.

The 357xp is by far the best saw on that list, but if it is worth the price it surely depends on its condition and age - a far second would be the 55. :)

I might consider the 350 as well, but surely not the rest of them, for various reasons.

Last edited:
IF the 455 is decent, I would go for that. It has a primer bulb for cold starting & to clear vapor locks, a decompression button for easy pulling, and can pull a 20" bar for bigger work. It's not a professional saw, but probably all you are going to need for a while. Just keep visiting here and everyone will help you when you are ready to expand your herd :clap::clap:

John

Latest posts

Back