looking for skidding tongs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know what they are, I saw them used for lifting logs, if they came loose when yarding they could kill you. How about a choker, bell and knob style?

I know what they are, I saw them used for lifting logs, if they came loose when yarding they could kill you. How about a choker, bell and knob style?

Never use them with rope, only cable or chain.
Yes Baileys list them in their catolog.
Stay away from the cheap ones made in china or india. They look okay but I have seen them bend and twist with the first use.

I have never used them, but I believe that the best ones you can get are called Super Tongs. At least they come from the factory in the right shape. But they are around three times the price of other ones.Seems like at Ben Meadows you can find a picture of them online, notice their shape. The 16" size is made from 1" stock. All others in the 16" size that I have found are 3/4 .
They really need to be sized to the log as large tongs will not work very good on small logs.
Occasional use on the right size log,they will work as is but to work at their best they will have to be reshaped and sharpened right from the start. None of the commercially available tongs come with a good shape except for the S. Tongs.
If you are going to use them hard I would look for the Super Tongs, if not be prepared to fire up the forge or torch.

does anyone know of something that might work better than the tongs i am looking to be able to jerk and drag logs with a strap and pickup.

the bandsaw that is built in kansas city-mo---they have the large lifting tongs in stock---seen them there when toured the factory---believe they be about 125.00------------

Skidding tongs

I bought a set of tongs to use with my Farmall H tractor. They did not work good. You could start pulling a log on the ground, but as soon as you slowed or stopped they fell off. So they collected some dust hanging in my barn.
Two years ago I got a new Kubota tractor. I hooked the tongs to the three point hitch. Now I have the ability to lower the tongs onto a log, lift the log up and drive away. The weight of the log holds the tongs tight into the wood.
The tractor has a FEL so with the weight up front I feel safe lifting and pulling logs.
I just shot some pictures of my setup to post here so maybe the weekend I'll have time to get them posted.
I see tongs listed in the Forestery equ. section of e-bay all the time.
One thing to watch is there are skidding and lifting tongs, it's all in the angle of the hooks I think?

J.Walker;754250 it's all in the angle of the hooks I think?[/QUOTE said:
I'm with you there. If you have lift, like a tractor 3pt. they will work a lot better even if they are not right. To get mine to work right ground skidding they had to have more of a fat pear shape thru the legs and the point had to have more of a hook in them. On a log that is near the limit of the opening size wise (15 to 19" log with 20" tongs) they will usually work, but on a smaller log it gets trickier.
I like mine set up with the points angled at 45 deg. to the log when they are set on a log that is near the smaller size limit that I will use them on.They usually come from the factory closer to 90 deg. If they are sharp they will really suck in.
Dont know anything about lifting tongs, but I assume they are for lifting the log clear of the ground for loading maybe.

Latest posts

Back